Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liberty Insurance + BOI and Direct Debit

Options
  • 26-02-2013 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Okay so basically I have been with Liberty insurance for over 10 years. On Dec 14th 2012 my daughter accidently cancelled my directs through the website. I contacted them the next day to reset it up. They said that they could do it over the phone. Turns out I get a call and a guy very aggressively says that no DD was set up. I said the name and where this woman said she was from (call center). So they send another mandate. Turns out that if you have the same ref it will automatically deny the application for a DD. Since the ref number is my policy number Liberty Insurance will not change the policy number unless I cancel my account. BOI says they can do nothing either. Now Liberty keeps saying contact BOI but BOI say they can do nothing because it is a contract between BOI and Liberty not me! So now I contact Liberty and we instead put the DD on my daughters account. Since there is an outstanding debt of €30 she pays with her card and gives her name. She then gives her name again and sets up the bank account details. May I add this woman is being very hostile and sarcastic. I got a letter today even though it is dated on the 18th. It has the right account number BUT it has MY NAME!

I want to honestly cry. I want to give them my money! Why will they just not take it and be done with it. Please please help me. I don't know what to do anymore. This is the 4th month now!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi Thraxen,

When you cancel direct debits, you need to wait 2 months before it can be set up again. If it was the 14th of Dec that the direct debit was cancelled, Liberty should be able to set up the mandate for you now. As the direct debit is an agreement between the customer and the company, Bank of Ireland facilitates the direct debit providing all details are correct.

We would also recommend customers to not disclose their online banking login details to any third party.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Thraxen

Hi Thraxen,

When you cancel direct debits, you need to wait 2 months before it can be set up again. If it was the 14th of Dec that the direct debit was cancelled, Liberty should be able to set up the mandate for you now. As the direct debit is an agreement between the customer and the company, Bank of Ireland facilitates the direct debit providing all details are correct.

We would also recommend customers to not disclose their online banking login details to any third party.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks
    Linda
    You can believe my disbelief but can you confirm again that a direct debit which was cancelled using for exampled the reference "Banking365" can be set up again after 2 months with the same reference "Banking365" and not be automatically cancelled. I ask since it was rejected twice and I am on my so called third strike so if my one does not work they will no longer allow me to use Direct Debits with them.
    How can I have been in the branch 3 times. Called Banking 365 - 8 times. Called my branch 4 times and not one person mentioned this? I mean are you actually telling me the truth or just trying to placate me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi Thraxen,

We have checked this information with our direct debit unit and can confirm it's correct. Apologies that this has not been advised to you on your contact with Bank of Ireland previously. We will issue a reminder to Banking 365 staff regarding this.

Any company who accepts payments by direct debit should be aware of the rules and regulations for setting up direct debits.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Thraxen

Hi Thraxen,

We have checked this information with our direct debit unit and can confirm it's correct. Apologies that this has not been advised to you on your contact with Bank of Ireland previously. We will issue a reminder to Banking 365 staff regarding this.

Any company who accepts payments by direct debit should be aware of the rules and regulations for setting up direct debits.

Thanks
    Linda
    I called into a BOI Branch in Skibbereen today at roughly 1.30pm. I talked to a woman on the desk there and she had no idea what the information was about the Direct Debits. This is an issue that needs to resolved.
    I have talked to Liberty and resolved my issue there however they said that BOI is the only bank which has the cancellation policy if you use the same reference number?

Advertisement