Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I made a game demo...

• 26-02-2013 12:51am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭

... but I have to ask a quick question. I want to put it up so people can try it but I used music from other games in it and the sound effects might be another legal sticky point since I generated them from a 8-bit sound generator and I'm not sure but they might be default samples. Is it ok to put it out the so I can get feedback, I definitely won't be making money off it?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 329 ✭✭Cereal Number

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    ... but I have to ask a quick question. I want to put it up so people can try it but I used music from other games in it and the sound effects might be another legal sticky point since I generated them from a 8-bit sound generator and I'm not sure but they might be default samples. Is it ok to put it out the so I can get feedback, I definitely won't be making money off it?

OPPA GANGAM STYLE HEEEEYYYYY SEXY DEMO OP OP OP OP!

Be grand! Look to the licencing info/documentation for the samples, if its an aul game sure the creators are probably dead vis a vis father ted style plane crash; your just honoring their memory, but with no one knowing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

is it a bullet hell game?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nope, kind of a kirby ripoff I made in stencyl. Stencyl is a joke but had to use it for the course I'm in. Here's a pic:

238016.png

I actually don't like bullet hell games, I'm more a gradius man :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Upload her - You'll be grand if it's non-profit. I'll beta test her for ya :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll wait and see what the mods say first :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

A link in your sig while you await a decision should surely be fine ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Can't see this being an issue, a generator generally has fairly open legal agreements. I second the sig link!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭andymurphy93

its non profit
    its very much legal
    hell you can do what you like with it once your not making money from it

Well I looked into it. Seems just because it's non-profit doesn't mean it's legal, turns out it isn't (if you can profit in anyway, not just monetarily it counts even if it's small time internet fame/infamy). In either case considering what I found out it would be against the boards.ie charter anyway. Oh well. If I get time I might put some copyright free music in it and have a look into the copyright on the sound effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Congrats on making a start Retro.

Could I ask, what course you are doing?

• Advertisement

It's a 1 year webelevate course which will hopefully net me a higher diploma from DIT. I'm doing the application development with game design stream. It was offered free to people on social welfare so I thought it would be better than getting depressed sending off CV's an not even getting an interview. Started Corona development and Lua so might have some more demos later.

I've just uploaded the demo in the link below, you'll need stencyl to play it which is free.

Import the file in stencyl.
    Then go to scenes and test the scene called title and you can play from there.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/h17f8t

I'm gutted the music is gone, it had a lot more atmosphere with it :(

I tried making my own music but all the free stuff seems terrible. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

I liked the intro to that.Reminds me of aliens :)
    Would be cool to hear that tune in a retro style, if you know what I mean.
    Like the old C64 soundtracks, but with your "Wipeout" atmosphere.
    Some old school flare hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

its non profit
    its very much legal
    hell you can do what you like with it once your not making money from it

Yeah, no, that's not right. If you're talking for educational purposes, maybe you could argue fair usage, but non profit doesn't really cut the mustard. Think of all the family fun videos on youtube that have music restricted.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I tried making my own music but all the free stuff seems terrible. Any recommendations?

There are plenty of programs out there that make it handy enough. I use Logic, but a lot of people use Fruity Loops (which I think is still free.)

Have a look on newgrounds, there are plenty of people putting up game music and most are quite happy for it to be used in a game, once they're credited.

If you can't find anything you're happy with, send me a link to your game and I'll bash you out a little ditty.

Advertisement