Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 Boston 2013

Options
  • 26-02-2013 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, myself and a friend are planning to spend our summer In Boston this year! we were in Chicago last year so know what its like finding accommodation so were hoping to move in with another group to cut down on rent!
    Please mail me if your looking for more people to live with or are in the same situation :)
    any advice on good places to live and jobs would be great too :)
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 travadave

I am heading to Boston too this year. I was wondering if people could give some feedback on Boston as J1 Destinations?. Is it easy to get a job and most importantly where to rent an accommodation, which parts of Boston are the safest?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aimers

Myself and my friend are also heading to Boston this yr n would be looking to rent with others to bring the rent down. Still havent decided what part etc yet. What date are ye heading over?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭LasTime

Of all the wonderful places you can go in America, u guys decided Boston. It is just because ye're irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 shtory

Brighton is a good area, stayed there before, you couldn't go wrong there really.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Pacly

I'm going to Boston alone on the 3rd of June also. I have a job sorted but I'm looking for some others to share a house with! Brighton or Newton would be perfect for me. Let me know if anyone wants to organise something or if anyone has room for 1 more to keep the rent down :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 cman24687

me and my mate are going to boston too and we are also looking for people to share with so let me know if your interested

• Registered Users Posts: 1 roar_e

Hey everyone, a group of 3 of us are heading over to Boston round the 3rd June and are looking for another group to share with so as to keep prices down. We're all 22 and don't really care where in Boston we end up as long as we have a good craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 cman24687

roar_e wrote: »
    Hey everyone, a group of 3 of us are heading over to Boston round the 3rd June and are looking for another group to share with so as to keep prices down. We're all 22 and don't really care where in Boston we end up as long as we have a good craic!

well lad, me and my friend are heading to Boston too, we are looking to stay in the brighton area as i hear thats the best spot. I was thinking of even staying in a frat house on either the Boston university or Boston College campuses as they are quite cheap and would be good craic. let me know if you are interested in organising something

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ORaghallaigh

Stayed in Boston last year, great spot you's are going to have the time of your lives.

We stayed in Dorchester, it is generally cheaper then Brighton and as long as you stay along or east of Dorchester Avenue it is completely safe. A lot of great bars in Dorchester itself, Banshee on the north side and central bar/Eire bar further down south. The red line (which is by far the best line) runs right down through Dorchester, and also takes you into downtown and out through Cambrdge/Somerville. So for heading into town, depending what part but we stayed on the Dorchester/Southie border so we were only ten minutes from city centre. If you are staying in Brighton the green line is a bit of a disaster. Plenty of Irish and a few J1ers around and young yanks, but yes most J1ers do seem to stay in Brighton.
    Lots of Irish run shops, pubs, butchers about it and if you got lucky you could get a job in one of them. Keep an eye on craigslist and just walk around giving your resume into places, print out plenty and don't loose heart if you get turned down a lot. If your a fella you could get a job handy enough with a moving company, especially gentle giant, its hard work and long hours but not bad money.

We got our house by placing an add on craigslist, it was a 5 bed, 9 of us and it was 300 a month including electricity/internet. So we were pretty comfortable but their was some people living in much smaller places with up to 15 people living in them. Also one months deposit payable at the start and if you don't wreck the place getting the deposit back is good at the end of the summer to use for travelling. Oh some places won't have any furniture, but if you arrive before the start of June and living in a student area, likely you'll find a lot of stuff being thrown out around the end of June. So find out what day is "garbage day" and head out for a walk around the neighborhood the night before if you are short mattresses.

Advertisement