Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Query regarding bill

Options
  • 26-02-2013 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has noticed a jump in there Gas Bills lately

i have a 3 bed terraced house, 3 bedrooms, we use the gas for heating and hot water the cooking is electricity , but i have noticed its costing between 27-30 euro a week ?

i turn the hot water on around 8 am , and about 3.30 i turn on the heating and then i turn them both off at 11.00pm ,

Does this seem a bit dear ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Gas prices have increased significantly - ~22% in 2011, 8.5% in Oct2012.

To give you an idea - 50/month to 66 to 71.61, don't forget to add 13.5% VAT - in this case ~3 euro. So you're looking at 75/month now.
    Essentially a 50% increase. Wow - never actually realised it was that much myself. Maybe my maths are incorrect. Some other clever boardsie can correct me.

Btw, do you have your heating on 7.5 hours a day? Seems like a lot unless your home is properly zoned/controlled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

as i say we have 2 switches one for hot water which i turn on at 8 am and one for teh heating which i turn on at 3.30pm they both go off at 11.30pm

i use electricty for cooking

is there anything i can do to rectify this bar leaving it off

its working out 27-30 euro a week

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accommodation & Property

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

faolteam wrote: »

i have a 3 bed terraced house, 3 bedrooms, we use the gas for heating and hot water the cooking is electricity , but i have noticed its costing between 27-30 euro a week ?

i turn the hot water on around 8 am , and about 3.30 i turn on the heating and then i turn them both off at 11.00pm ,

yup, big increase, probably using it more too though? or it stays on longer/more, to reach the same temperature set?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

given your useage seems a reasonable bill to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Here are some suggestions I've been recommended recently.

Switch Providers - some are offering "new customer" discounts
    Bigger discounts are available if you both gas and electricity with the same provider.

Reduce your usage - reduce your heating by an hour a day to start. For example do you need your heating on until 11.30? Have it going off at 10.30 for a few days and see if you notice the difference. Keep reducing the time the heating is on until you get a nice comfortable balance.

Drafts - make sure you seal any source of drafts. For example under window sills is a prime example. Put your hand underneath the sill, if you feel a draft seal it yourself with some filler. Check your windows are sealing correctly when closed. If you have a draft, get some DIY draft excluder tape to seal them up.

Do NOT ever block air vents. If you do, you may introduce damp/condensation problems.

The above can be done without any/minimum additional cost to you.

Other suggestions:-

Boiler Service - make sure to have your boiler serviced regularly. If the boiler hasn't been serviced it'll reduce the efficiency of the boiler.

Plumber - depending on how old your heating system is, it might be worth while have your system/rads cleaned.

If you've some funds available for more longer term "pay back":-

Boiler - how old is the boiler? It might be worth looking at a newer more efficient boiler.

Heating Control/Zones - TRV's on rads in the rooms not used frequently, install zone controls etc.

Insulate, insulate, insulate. There are some cheap insulation options that can make a significant difference. For example insulating your attic can be done for a few hundred euro. It would probably pay for itself within a year.

Think that's about it. Maybe someone else might have further suggestions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭daver123

Why are you heating water for 5 1/2 hours in the evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

we used to put the hot waterr on for 1/2 an hour and get a bath full of hor water. Thats with an aincent 20 yr old boiler.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

To be honest- given your usage patterns, your bill actually sounds quite reasonable. Why do you have the heating on for so long in the evening? 7 and a half hours? Seems ridiculously excessive to be honest. I have two very young children- and run the heating for 2 hours before we get up in the morning (5Am to 7AM) and immediately before we get home in the evening (5.30 to 7.30PM). I leave storage heaters on low settings in the children's room overnight- but don't heat the rest of the house. I can turn the water on separately- but don't tend to- as it gets heated via the central heating in any case.

30 a week- 120 a month, 240 per 2 month bill- its not excessive- given the time of year- it actually sounds very reasonable........

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

as i say we have 2 switches one for hot water which i turn on at 8 am and one for teh heating which i turn on at 3.30pm they both go off at 11.30pm

i use electricty for cooking

its working out 27-30 euro a week

Are we take it that you have the water on from 8 in the morning to 11 at night? If so then that's going to get a large contributor to your problem. As is having the heat running for 8 solid hours a day. This is very excessive usage.

Try heating the water for a few hours overnight and see how you get on. Also heat the house in smaller bursts rather than for such a long time. If the heat does not remain then look at getting your insulation sorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement