Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dubai connect?

Options
  • 26-02-2013 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

Looking at flights to Ireland. Emirates offer an accom/transfer package if you lay over longer than 6 and less than 24hours in Dubai, any experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Rubadubchub

Looking at flights to Ireland. Emirates offer an accom/transfer package if you lay over longer than 6 and less than 24hours in Dubai, any experiences?

That sounds great!

I got ridiculously cheap flights from Dublin to Bangkok with a 7 hour stop over in Dubai last year. They have weird seats that stop you lying down or getting comfortable which means you stay awake for the duration. Airport is massive but killing 7 hours was hard going.. Wifi didn’t work when I was there. On a side note I have never met a bunch of ruder individuals like the men that I met in Dubai. Literally treat women appallingly and on more than a few occasions when I was walking beside my girlfriend they tried to walk right through her and got offended when she didn’t jump out of the way for them.

Beforehand I didn’t think the wait would be bad at all but I would have killed for a nice bed and transfer to break up the travel. Suppose I cant complain because the flights were dirt cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

I believe it's 8 hours + for economy and 6 hours + for business class and up.

Read an article yesterday about how Aussies flying to Europe are going to cost the airlines a fortune because once qantas and emirates start code sharing, there will be a huge number of Aussies with 8hours + layovers in Dubai because of how qantas time their slots in Australian airports!

I know emirates put all their staff up in the Marriott in Sydney for layovers so if its a Marriott layover in Dubai, that wouldn't be so bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I've used it - it worked fine for me. Bus transfer to a 3-star hotel (not the Marriott!), night at the hotel, voucher for a meal at the hotel (which was in a buffet-style dining room), bus transfer back to the airport.

Drawbacks are that you have to go through immigration in Dubai, which takes a while, and then hang around a bit for the bus transfer. The hotel was clean and comfortable, but completely lacking in character. Still, if all you want is a bed for the night, that's fine. From memory, to make the Dublin flight we had to leave the hotel too early for breakfast - dining room wasn't open - and it was a while before we got on the plane, took off and got fed, but we survived that. (And so did our eleven-year-old daughter, more to the point.)

And getting a night's sleep on the journey did wonders in reducing jetlag on arrival in Dublin, compared to previous times I made the trip. So much so that, all other things being equal, in the future I would choose a schedule which included the overnight in Dubai in preference to one that didn't.

Making the return journey (Dublin-Perth in my case) the connections were such that they didn't offer the free overnight. Pity!

Advertisement