Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N56 - Dungloe to Glenties

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

marno21 wrote: »

Does tender award mean they can get started right away?

They're making good progress with the Dungloe - Leitermacaward section, as well as the big works underway near Dungloe there's another mostly offline section U/C south of the R252 with noticeable progress every time I've passed. With lockdown v2 though I doubt I'll be out that way this side of Christmas again now

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Does tender award mean they can get started right away?

They're making good progress with the Dungloe - Leitermacaward section, as well as the big works underway near Dungloe there's another mostly offline section U/C south of the R252 with noticeable progress every time I've passed. With lockdown v2 though I doubt I'll be out that way this side of Christmas again now
    They should be underway in Q1 2021

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Fantastic drone footage of the 7.1km Dungloe to Cloghbolie scheme. Quite a lot of traffic management along this stretch, quite irritating for locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭roadmaster

marno21 wrote: »

Fantastic drone footage of the 7.1km Dungloe to Cloghbolie scheme. Quite a lot of traffic management along this stretch, quite irritating for locals.

Jesus I didn't know if I was looking at a quarry operation or road construction there!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ernestcooke91

From Donegal County Council Facebook & Twitter accounts on 29 January in relation to the Letterily to Kilraine section:

N56 Letterilly Kilraine Phase 1 Road Project

Site Clearance works on the N56 Letterilly section of road from Glenties to Dungloe for approx. 3 weeks. Rolling Stop & Go in operation from today, Mon 01/02/21, minor delays are to be expected so allow extra time for travel and any fallen debris on road”

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

From Donegal County Council Facebook & Twitter accounts on 29 January in relation to the Letterily to Kilraine section:

N56 Letterilly Kilraine Phase 1 Road Project

Site Clearance works on the N56 Letterilly section of road from Glenties to Dungloe for approx. 3 weeks. Rolling Stop & Go in operation from today, Mon 01/02/21, minor delays are to be expected so allow extra time for travel and any fallen debris on road”

Great, we can consider this to be under construction now.

Works are continuing on Phase 1 of the Letterilly - Kilraine Road Project.

Out of curiosity has there been any update on Phase 2 of this project or will this be started after phase 1 is completed?

Is Letterilly - Kilraine the section just outside Glenties on the Dungloe side? I'm not familiar with the townland names

Is Letterilly - Kilraine the section just outside Glenties on the Dungloe side? I'm not familiar with the townland names

Letterilly is the townland on the Dungloe side of Glenties near Maas. The current phase 1 works go from here to Glenties.

Kilraine is the townland on the other side of Glenties, at the junction with the R262 Frosses road.
    The proposed phase 2 works go from Glenties to this junction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭yannakis

N56 progress Dashcam footage from the ground - I only drove the section R252 to Dungloe:

• Advertisement

Longer version from yesterday (15 May) - this time all the way from Dungloe to Cloghbolie.

I see you have the same experience I do in always getting stuck for ages at all the lights. I must have been through there 10+ times over the past couple of months and never once get a green light

I see you have the same experience I do in always getting stuck for ages at all the lights. I must have been through there 10+ times over the past couple of months and never once get a green light

Absolutely awful timing these lights.. I was visiting the area but I can imagine 10km of stop/go for a couple of years will drive locals crazy..!

New Temporary Road & traffic lights came into operation on the Letterilly section of this road (just outside Glenties) last week

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The stop-go systems here - both schemes currently underway but particularly on Dungloe to Cloghbolie - are absolutely horrendous.

D-C has some sections that are basically done albeit probably need a wearing course - road is on new alignment, old alignment or new cycle track is set up - but other sections where it looks like they're still blasting and lots of heavy stone works ongoing.

L-K is nowhere near as advanced yet obviously. A lot of the stop-go systems have you driivng on the future cycle track I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dollylama

L1011 wrote: »
    The stop-go systems here - both schemes currently underway but particularly on Dungloe to Cloghbolie - are absolutely horrendous.

D-C has some sections that are basically done albeit probably need a wearing course - road is on new alignment, old alignment or new cycle track is set up - but other sections where it looks like they're still blasting and lots of heavy stone works ongoing.

L-K is nowhere near as advanced yet obviously. A lot of the stop-go systems have you driivng on the future cycle track I think.

I counted near 20 minutes of lights on the dungloe section the last weekend I was up there... 20 minutes each way! I heard it's causing headache for the guys hauling material to the Glenties job as they are coming from out past Crolly, through the lights on the Dungloe job every time

L1011 wrote: »

Its been horrendous for the best part of a decade now, I think people are just beat into submission at this stage.

As I've said before, great to see these updates happen but the creeping 'few km at a time' method of upgrading the road has meant never ending roadworks and no time savings. In a few years we'll hopefully finally see the benefits but this method of incrementally digging up the same stretch of road means massive disruption for far too long

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Yea if they ever do another section such as Inver to Glenties I wouldn’t recommend they do it this way. Far too slow and disruptive. Just build a new offline route.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think CPO cost minimisation was picked over any other practicality here.

On D-C there's only one offline section of any note really. The total pavement reconstruction, widening and minor alignment changes will all be a huge help but not to the extent that a new offline route would have been.

L-K has a lot of beside-the-line works which I suspect will also lead to huge one way systems later on.

Been a while since there's been a post here.

The Dungloe to Cloghbolie section of this scheme is coming along very well recently.

About 3km (out of 7km) of this is now completed with final surfacing and lines.

The longest traffic light on this section at the Doochary junction has now been removed. 3 temporary traffic lights remain on this.

The remaining parts look like they are coming along well too

• Advertisement

I've to head up in a week or so, and got badly caught for time last time by those lights, so that's handy

Anyone know how bad the section between Glenties and Maas is these days?

Sorry for the slow reply.

Currently, the section between Glenties and Maas is at a much earlier stage of construction so driving through it can be slow.

Trips on Thursday. I'll give myself plenty of time

One bad dark red traffic patch showing on Google Maps right now; and another at the lake outside Dungloe.

Bit frustrating how incredibly long the whole Dungloe-Glenties project will take. Considering that many other parts of the N56 need the same treatment.

We'd be decades doing it all at this rate.

Yes, so the red traffic patch just outside Dungloe town is the slowest part on that section of roadworks at the moment, there is 4 roads there with traffic lights (2 on the main road and both minor roads) there at the moment

So, on Dungloe to Cloghbolie on Thursday - from pretty much everything except one offline section is done or near done. Section at the lake had absolutely nobody working on it but still unfinished / stop-go in place.

Between Glenties and Maas is still hugely disrupted and its hard to see what's been done in five months!

Do we have any idea when Letterilly to Kilraine (Phase 2) will start?

Wills site office signs up on that side of Glenties but absolutely no obvious works.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dollylama

I don't believe Phase 2 ever went out to tender?

• Advertisement

Some good news to report.

The last section of the Dungloe to Cloghbolie scheme has been opened to traffic earlier today.

All traffic lights for these roadworks have been removed for the Christmas holiday period.

Advertisement