Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mods not showing even-handedness

Options
  • 26-02-2013 6:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭

I am constantly harassed by members in the politics forum and I don't believe the mods are dealing with the issue fairly.

In the thread linked below a number of posters have once again got too personal with their comments but the mods that viewed the thread have not taken any action.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056886939&page=2

I recieved two infractions on that thread which I don't dispute. One for being uncivil and another for back seat moderation. I would like to say in my defence that I do my best to remain civil but it wears you down when you are being constantly harassed by other members.

The reason I am bringing this issue to your attention now is because the posts that I received infractions for were deleted yet the personal comments directed at me by other members are still there.

That to me suggests the mods have a bias possibly because I hold an unpopular point of view? Whatever the reason I hope the mods will try to be a liitle more even-handed in future.

Thanks for your attention.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hello cyberhog.

I have read your thread a number of times and I am a little unsure what you want to happen as a result of you starting this thread. Having read it a few times, I think that your thread would be more suited to the Feedback forum, because you are calling for the mods in the Politics forum to "try to be a little more even-handed in future", you don't believe that the moderation is adequate enough when you feel you are being harassed by other forum members, and you have given a link as an example.

You are not disputing the infractions you received but you are offering a partial defence of being worn down due to the constant harassment you are receiving by other forum users, and you also feel the moderation is biased in favour of other forum users because the posts for which you received your infractions for were deleted, yet the personal comments made towards you still remain on-thread, and you are questioning whether there is bias against you by the forum moderators because you believe your political point of view is different to that of the forum moderators.

Because your thread is speaking in general terms regarding the Politics forum, how it is being moderated, and suggesting the existence of bias, I will move it to the Feedback forum in 3 days to give you time to think about whether you want this thread moved into the Dispute Resolution Forum regarding the infractions you received, and the circumstances regarding the infractions - those being that you are harassed by forum users and the moderators do nothing. This is why the DRF exists, and even if the thread is moved to Feedback, allegations of bias are taken very seriously, so if I were you, I would take time to think about what direction you want this thread to take, and I will assist accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭cyberhog

Shield wrote: »
    Hello cyberhog.

I have read your thread a number of times and I am a little unsure what you want to happen as a result of you starting this thread. Having read it a few times, I think that your thread would be more suited to the Feedback forum, because you are calling for the mods in the Politics forum to "try to be a little more even-handed in future", you don't believe that the moderation is adequate enough when you feel you are being harassed by other forum members, and you have given a link as an example.

You are not disputing the infractions you received but you are offering a partial defence of being worn down due to the constant harassment you are receiving by other forum users, and you also feel the moderation is biased in favour of other forum users because the posts for which you received your infractions for were deleted, yet the personal comments made towards you still remain on-thread, and you are questioning whether there is bias against you by the forum moderators because you believe your political point of view is different to that of the forum moderators.

Hi Shield. Thanks for your response, you have interpreted my meaning most accurately.
    Because your thread is speaking in general terms regarding the Politics forum, how it is being moderated, and suggesting the existence of bias, I will move it to the Feedback forum in 3 days to give you time to think about whether you want this thread moved into the Dispute Resolution Forum regarding the infractions you received, and the circumstances regarding the infractions - those being that you are harassed by forum users and the moderators do nothing. This is why the DRF exists, and even if the thread is moved to Feedback, allegations of bias are taken very seriously, so if I were you, I would take time to think about what direction you want this thread to take, and I will assist accordingly.

Well I don't wish to dispute the infractions I received but I would certainly appreciate a chance to resolve the point I made about not being treated fairly by the mods.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

cyberhog wrote: »
    I am constantly harassed by members in the politics forum and I don't believe the mods are dealing with the issue fairly.

In the thread linked below a number of posters have once again got too personal with their comments but the mods that viewed the thread have not taken any action.
    Two Politics mods had actioned that thread before you posted this thread here. After issuing 2 red cards, one to you and one to another poster, I received an unexpected phone call from work and had to leave for several hours (i.e., we are volunteers with outside commitments). Upon my return from work I finished my review of that thread and issued more actions and post deletions.

For a Politics thread that currently has only 22 remaining posts, it received an extraordinary amount of mod action: 5 posts deleted belonging to 4 different posters; 2 yellow card warnings; and 3 red card infractions.
    I recieved two infractions on that thread which I don't dispute. One for being uncivil and another for back seat moderation.
    Fair enough, because these 2 red cards were issued by 2 different mods, and consistent with our charter.

This might be a good time for you to review your own posting on boards, given that you have 7 yellow card warnings, 9 red card infractions, and 1 ban for a total of 17 actions by 5 different mods (mostly in Politics) since 31 May 2010. You also have a 1-week ban pending action for receiving 3 red cards in one month (Feb 2013) per Politics charter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I can see deleted posts, and quick look at that thread shows (ignoring your own) three other posts deleted, and two further yellow and one red card handed out.

There's no problem with even-handedness here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

cyberhog wrote:
    The reason I am bringing this issue to your attention now is because the posts that I received infractions for were deleted yet the personal comments directed at me by other members are still there.

We don't necessarily delete infracted posts - in general we would only do so if the post is not only actionable, but where it's also obscene, objectionable, or its continued presence is likely to give rise to further off-topic posting or angry responses.

As a general rule, we prefer to leave an actioned post to indicate what kind of post is actionable. We would not usually delete a post that contained an actionable personal comment - the post, and the infraction, is left visible as a warning not to make such comments.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    I can see deleted posts, and quick look at that thread shows (ignoring your own) three other posts deleted, and two further yellow and one red card handed out.

There's no problem with even-handedness here.

Dades. You haven't taken into account the timing of the deletions.

If I had not raised the issue here and reported those posts myself the personal comments towards me would still be on-thread because neither Scofflaw or Black Swan deleted any of those posts at the time they deleted my posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Dades. You haven't taken into account the timing of the deletions.

If I had not raised the issue here and reported those posts myself the personal comments towards me would still be on-thread because neither Scofflaw or Black Swan deleted any of those posts at the time they deleted my posts.

Well, the time line is as follows:

On the 25th two posts were deleted and actioned. One by you. This was straightforward abuse from both sides. Scofflaw handled one post, Black Swan the other.

This morning on the 26th after this thread was created (honestly, I think due to reporting some posts in that thread earlier in the morning) two yellows and one red were handed out. The two yellows for posts pre-dating the posts deleted and actioned on the 25th. The red being for a later post of yours. One of the yellows given out was reported by you, one wasn't. Black Swan handled these posts.

Two of the yellows handed out this morning are on posts from before the 25th of this month. The red handed out couldn't have been given by either Scofflaw or Black Swan when they were handing out the two original reds.

I think that clears up what happened in what order.

Thank you for that thorough response to my post!

This is the part I'm concerned about.
    nesf wrote: »

On the 25th two posts were deleted and actioned. One by you. This was straightforward abuse from both sides. Scofflaw handled one post, Black Swan the other.

This morning on the 26th after this thread was created (honestly, I think due to reporting some posts in that thread earlier in the morning) two yellows and one red were handed out. The two yellows for posts pre-dating the posts deleted and actioned on the 25th.

I'm concerned that no action was taken on personal comments made about me that pre-date the deleted posts until I reported the posts this morning. Those posts were a straightforward breach of the charter so they should have been actioned by the mods that had deleted posts on the 25th.Clearly nothing was done about those comments until after I started this thread and then used the report function.

So I think the inaction on those personal comments raises a question about the impartiality of the mods monitoring exchanges in the politics forum.

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Thank you for that thorough response to my post!

This is the part I'm concerned about.

I'm concerned that no action was taken on personal comments made about me that pre-date the deleted posts until I reported the posts this morning. Those posts were a straightforward breach of the charter so they should have been actioned by the mods that had deleted posts on the 25th.Clearly nothing was done about those comments until after I started this thread and then used the report function.

So I think the inaction on those personal comments raises a question about the impartiality of the mods monitoring exchanges in the politics forum.

What do you think?

The Report function exists because it's not possible to read every post in every thread...you reported the posts, they were actioned. Are you saying you didn't bother reporting the posts until you had been actioned? If so, why?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

With the greatest of respect to all parties concerned, this thread is now more suited to the Dispute Resolution Forum than it is in the Help Desk. I have left 2 weeks of redirection active on the thread in its current location to allow all parties time to get used to the thread's new location.

-Shield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

OP, please post an updated clear, concise single post explaining matters as you now see them, and how you think they should be resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Closing as resolved as the OP has not replied in several weeks.

OP, please start a new Dispute Resolution thread if you want this issue looked at.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement