Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Form layout design inspiration needed

• 26-02-2013 9:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

Hope this makes sense, only have this running on a local server so can't give a link.
    I've got a page that displays a list of items, with their attributes, which users can edit. e.g.
    <tr>
        <td class="delete-button">delete entry</td>
        <td class="name">name</td> 
        <td class="category">name</td> 
        <td class="description">name</td> 
        <td class="notes">name</td> 
        <td class="save-button">save changes</td>
    </tr>

User can edit any of the existing items, or there's a blank line at the bottom for entering a new item. There's no limit on the number of items in the list, though typically I'd expect a max of 50-70, on average maybe 20-30.

Underneath this table, I've a second table, which is a list of predefined 'template' items. User can select one or more of these, click a button, and have them added to the main list. Template list includes pagination and filtering by category. Could be a few hundred template items.

Functionally, the coding of it is fine, have that mostly done.
    Problem is trying to fit the two lists on the page in a way that doesn't look cluttered.
    e.g. first person I asked to look at it initially missed the list of template items as the main list had pushed it below the fold, which becomes more of an issue as more items are added to it. And each row is too long to put the two lists side by side.

I'm trying to find a few examples of a similar layout with two master/template lists to get some inspiration as to how best to go about it, but not sure what I should be googling. Any suggestions or links to similar examples would be appreciated.

Advertisement