Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Response to Burglaries: Leave a Light On

Options
  • 26-02-2013 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi folks, not been on in quite a while but was struck by an article about robberies lately here in the Leinster Express.

The article was entitled "Public Urged to 'Help Themselves' in Tackling Crime" and in it (in response to the findings of a report on robberies) Chief Superintendent John Scanlon recommended people to "leave a light on when away from home".

Does ANYBODY out there believe that this kind of approach can seriously be called "tackling crime"...?

On a side-note: I'm curious to find out how prevalent the theft of copper is from vacant houses? Have any Boardies had their houses stripped for copper or know someone who was?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

The simple fact is that garda resources are stretched to the limit so people need to help themselves anyway they can. Leaving on a light or having one on a timer is just one of many ways people can minimise the chance of their home becoming a target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

'ye can't be doin' dat lads, I'm sick o' tellin' ye'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

It was a simple piece of advice for people who are away from their homes for a protracted period of time.

Maybe the Gardai know that the best they can do is advise people on how to minimise the risk, because they know whether or not the burglars are caught it makes no difference because proper sanctions don't exist for such criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Most Irish response to a problem ever. Laeve an aul ligh on, be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

Well how about lock the front door for a start.

There is an inordinate amount of burglaries where access was gained by simply walking in the front door.

Lock your car.

When you read about items taken from 5 or 6 cars in the same estate on the same night it usually means they were the cars that were left open.

Leaving a light on may be a simple piece of advice but it may be a massive step forward for those incapable of simply turning a key to lock their property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

mcgarrett wrote: »
    Well how about lock the front door for a start.

There is an inordinate amount of burglaries where access was gained by simply walking in the front door.

Lock your car.

When you read about items taken from 5 or 6 cars in the same estate on the same night it usually means they were the cars that were left open.

Leaving a light on may be a simple piece of advice but it may be a massive step forward for those incapable of simply turning a key to lock their property.

"Book 'em Danno....."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

medici wrote: »
    Hi folks, not been on in quite a while but was struck by an article about robberies lately here in the Leinster Express.

The article was entitled "Public Urged to 'Help Themselves' in Tackling Crime" and in it (in response to the findings of a report on robberies) Chief Superintendent John Scanlon recommended people to "leave a light on when away from home".

Does ANYBODY out there believe that this kind of approach can seriously be called "tackling crime"...?

On a side-note: I'm curious to find out how prevalent the theft of copper is from vacant houses? Have any Boardies had their houses stripped for copper or know someone who was?

Listening to Joe Duffy over the past few months and he had lots of people on who had their houses wrecked by thieves robbing copper
    One woman went out for a while and upon arrival back and went in door to see water comin from light sockets it took her a while to see the extent of damage but they stripped everything copper cylinder from hotpress all copper pipes

Poor woman had no house insurance

Lots more stories like that

My friend is a plumber he says it's very common

monflat wrote: »

Listening to Joe Duffy over the past few months and he had lots of people on who had their houses wrecked by thieves robbing copper
    One woman went out for a while and upon arrival back and went in door to see water comin from light sockets it took her a while to see the extent of damage but they stripped everything copper cylinder from hotpress all copper pipes

Poor woman had no house insurance

Lots more stories like that

My friend is a plumber he says it's very common

Oops you said vacant houses

Well 2 vacant houses in south laois had been done last year husband saw two fellas on the roof of an idle house
    Thought they were patching up roof

Turns out they were clearing out the copper

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭medici

Jesus I had no clue the copper thing was that bad..? Of course if there's a demand for the stuff then there's got to be a market right? But how can you just "sell" copper wiring/roof material/water cylinders and piping without smelting the stuff down.

Am I right in saying that thieves would have a harder time to offload coppper they've robbed if it weren't for scrap-merchants or other middle-men who melt the stuff down to sell as legit'?

medici wrote: »
    Jesus I had no clue the copper thing was that bad..? Of course if there's a demand for the stuff then there's got to be a market right? But how can you just "sell" copper wiring/roof material/water cylinders and piping without smelting the stuff down.

Am I right in saying that thieves would have a harder time to offload coppper they've robbed if it weren't for scrap-merchants or other middle-men who melt the stuff down to sell as legit'?

Yep these fellas sell it on to another who sells it on like d cash 4 gold
    That friend of mine the plumber has one " fella " calling every week he buys copper pipes off him better than him robbin em but d friend has electric gates and I drove in the other day and in drives the fella after me lookin for copper pipe batteries anything
    d friend says if he leaves gate open for 5 minute s d fella appears he does not no how he does It

U give to em once they always b back

• Advertisement
Advertisement