Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evolution of Teeth

Options
  • 26-02-2013 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi everyone, writing a University report on the evo-devo biology of teeth. Does anyone know of any good articles (preferably in review form, but any will do) or books on this? I've had some recommendations from my supervisor, but they mainly focus on one theory that he pushes, although it isn't that widely accepted. So yeah, anything to give me a broader overview would be ace.

Not being bone idle, I have found some myself, I just figured checking to see if anyone has some usggestions I've missed would be a good idea :pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

teeth in general or mammalian or human teeth ?

For humans use of chopsticks / forks has perhaps resulted in most of us having an overbite - not really evolution but interesting

perhaps look into the future of teeth
    - vaccine for streptococcus mutans
    - stem cells or whathaveyou to regrow them

the rodents that die if they can't wear away their teeth enough to stop them entering their brains

what sort of stuff have you already got ?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭rchendz92

I was going more for original evolution and theories, as well as info on conserved developmental patterns. Read one in Bioessays called "The Odontode Explosion: the origin of toothlike structures in vertebrates" (Fraser et al 2010) which is a neat guide to the various theories of how they appeared (likely in the Conodonts). It's a good guide to the theories but focuses on proposing a new perspective...kinda useful, but I'm looking for more general stuff, as the new perspective hasn't gathered a huge amount of interest. Although I have sinced placed some library reservations on two hopeful sounding books, so maybe something will crop up there!

Advertisement