Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steve McClaren leaves Dutch club FC Twente (again)

• 26-02-2013 12:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21574534

Sacked today after a meeting with the club's owners yesterday!

Only 6 points behind leaders PSV despite not winning a game since December 21 last. Makes you wonder how strong the Dutch league is right now!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Ah, good auld Schteeve! The man who uses notebooks, colouring pens and diagrams to explain what he wants from players. He knows all the footballing methodology and jargon in theory but has no idea how to put it into practice, hence the diagrams.

Andy Reid described his coaching methods at Forest as "off the wall". I think he's being nice there! What a lucky escape they had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

grenache wrote: »
    Ah, good auld Schteeve! The man who uses notebooks, colouring pens and diagrams to explain what he wants from players. He knows all the footballing methodology and jargon in theory but has no idea how to put it into practice, hence the diagrams.

Andy Reid described his coaching methods at Forest as "off the wall". I think he's being nice there! What a lucky escape they had.

Twente's only league title came under McClaren so might be that he knows a tiny bit more about managing a team than the man who rated Steve Staunton as being a good managereven after he was sacked by Ireland.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

He wasnt sacked. Twente could not have afford that.
    He left himself.

Pity actually, he got them in a nice spiral down to the bottom.

And how strong the Dutch league is?
    Well, look at all the teams still in Europe..... oh wait.

But that said, there isnt a more entertaining league in all of Europe at the moment.
    It is just that it slowly but certainly turns into an U21 league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Don't think he is that bad a manager when I look over his career now tbh.

Did well at Middlesborough.
    Failed with England (not the first).
    Did really well at Twente and led them to their first league title ever.
    Failed at Wolfsburg (see England reasoning).
    Went back to Twente and couldn't replicate former glory.

A lot has changed at Twente since he left. de Jong, Ruiz, Elia, Tiote and many more have moved. The squad was completely different and nowhere near as good. It was never going to work out with the fans expecting something unachievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

i am sorry but Mclaren is a bad manager.

Took over at Twente last year when they were league leaders.
    Managed them to 6th in the final standings, only qualified for Europe because of the fair play cup.
    Fielded a 2nd string team in the EL away to Schalke, despite being 1-0 up. Did that so the team would be fresh to face Feyenoord 3 days later. Lost 4-1 to Schalke and 0-2 to Feyenoord.

This season send out a 2nd string team at home vs Den Bosch for the Dutch cup. Goes 1-0 up, gets a man sent off and immediately subs an attacker for a defender. Loses 2-1

It is not just the results but they play an awful kind of football mostly based on not conceding. You will not make friends with that attitude in Holland.

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »

Twente's only league title came under McClaren so might be that he knows a tiny bit more about managing a team than the man who rated Steve Staunton as being a good managereven after he was sacked by Ireland.:)
    Think Reid was being diplomatic that time about Staunton. He was put on the spot in an interview, he was hardly going to lambast him.

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Don't think he is that bad a manager when I look over his career now tbh.

Did well at Middlesborough.
    Failed with England (not the first).
    Did really well at Twente and led them to their first league title ever.
    Failed at Wolfsburg (see England reasoning).
    Went back to Twente and couldn't replicate former glory.

A lot has changed at Twente since he left. de Jong, Ruiz, Elia, Tiote and many more have moved. The squad was completely different and nowhere near as good. It was never going to work out with the fans expecting something unachievable.
    Failed miserably at Forest too.

A side who had finished top six in the Championship for consecutive seasons, Smugface McClaren came and turned them into relegation fodder inside three months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

inforfun wrote: »
    i am sorry but Mclaren is a bad manager.

Took over at Twente last year when they were league leaders.
    Managed them to 6th in the final standings, only qualified for Europe because of the fair play cup.
    Fielded a 2nd string team in the EL away to Schalke, despite being 1-0 up. Did that so the team would be fresh to face Feyenoord 3 days later. Lost 4-1 to Schalke and 0-2 to Feyenoord.

This season send out a 2nd string team at home vs Den Bosch for the Dutch cup. Goes 1-0 up, gets a man sent off and immediately subs an attacker for a defender. Loses 2-1

It is not just the results but they play an awful kind of football mostly based on not conceding. You will not make friends with that attitude in Holland.

I'm sure they'll still appreciate the time he took them to their league title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

wallyDM2111_468x819.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

What next for him I wonder? Championship again maybe! Had very high hopes for him when he went to Forest. He became one of the fans most unfavoured managers in Nottingham Forest's history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

DenMan wrote: »
    What next for him I wonder? Championship again maybe! Had very high hopes for him when he went to Forest. He became one of the fans most unfavoured managers in Nottingham Forest's history.

The Dole Que :p I think he will end up back in England but he will need to cherry pick his next job . One more sacking and his career could be over .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

wallyDM2111_468x819.jpg

It's strange how rare the umbrella is in management circles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Spotted on reddit that he has won 10 of last 13 with Derby and moved them from 14th to 2nd in the last two months. Fair play to him. Hopefully he can take them up and change some opinions of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I thought Derby were wrong to sack Clough and thought he was doing well with the squad.

Proven completely wrong by McClaren, he has made same group of players challengers for promotion. Hope he finishes the job and good luck to him, never got enough respect I don't think, although he did start to believe his own hype a bit after winning league with Twente.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Great to see him doing so well! Great for English football as a whole!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Oat23 wrote: »
    Spotted on reddit that he has won 10 of last 13 with Derby and moved them from 14th to 2nd in the last two months. Fair play to him. Hopefully he can take them up and change some opinions of him.

I never minded him tbh, he's a bit dull but I think people are very harsh on him.

Won a trophy with Boro and won a league title with Twente and now doing well with Derby so he's got something clearly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,575 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Moneymaker wrote: »
    I never minded him tbh, he's a bit dull but I think people are very harsh on him.

Won a trophy with Boro and won a league title with Twente and now doing well with Derby so he's got something clearly.
    Lots of failures to weigh that up against. He is definitely more competent than some pathetic sections of the football world would have you believe, but I wouldn't say he is any more than competent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Weve Derby away in the FA cup in a few days, not looking forward to it.

I thought Derby were wrong to sack Clough and thought he was doing well with the squad.

Proven completely wrong by McClaren, he has made same group of players challengers for promotion. Hope he finishes the job and good luck to him, never got enough respect I don't think, although he did start to believe his own hype a bit after winning league with Twente.
    Clough never finished higher than 10th in 5 seasons there. And I believe him to have had an above average squad of players. Played awful football, his game was all about pressing the opposition without really trying to play any good stuff. McClaren has come in and let them play, he's learned from his mistakes at Forest, think he tried to do too much too quick there.

Advertisement