Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caravan Reseal Question

Options
  • 26-02-2013 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi.

I know this is not strictly a caravan forum but maybe someone will be able to advise me. I'm in the process of resealing my caravan. Its a 2006 Sterckeman Starlett with major damp which I have repaired. My question is regarding the awning rails on my caravan. My rails are screwed down to the van from the topside rather than along the side like most British Caravans. Beneath the aluminium rails is a long rubber seal that goes between the rail and the van.

When I begin to reinstall the rails should I apply the sealant to the caravan then place the rubber seal on top then screw the rail down or is there a better way to do this. I can't help thinking this is going to be really messy. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Shay.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

You could also put sealent ontop of the scresws

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Yes it's messy! I put sealer under the rubber, between the rubber and the rail, and on the screws going in. I usually use slightly bigger/longer screws too. Stainless steel ones only. And Wurth or Sikafkex sealer, mostly Wurth. Any of the common hardware ones don't seem to last, your Tec7, polyflex, builders silicone sealer etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

It will make life a little easier for you if you put masking tape at the edge of the moulding and then when you have put the mastic on and done all the screwing down, the mastic that will come out will be on the masking tape and it is only a matter of removing the masking tape for a clean finish. As Aidan MM says be sure to put a little on the screws before you drive them home and only use stainless steel ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Shaymeyabu

Brilliant tips. Cheers Guys. That Wurth Adhesive, is that the Bond and seal one? lol used that one before and it took me nearly a week to get it off me hands.. :)

Advertisement