Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film recommendation for parents with internet kids

Options
  • 26-02-2013 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭

Im sticking this in parenting issues as this is where I believe it belongs.

I work in IT and am constantly advising other parents of the dangers of internet. I know a couple who gave their 8 yr old an ipad with unlimited wifi access (wtf! when i heard)

We all know the stories of bullying and the other dark areas that exist out there but can sometimes let our guard down so with that in mind I watched a film last night called "Trust" with Clive Owen. American based about a normal middle american family with a 14 yr old girl with laptop and phone and how she's groomed online and the human side of what happens. This is not an easy watch, there are some some uncomfortable moments in it, it is not a happy film with a happy ending although some redemption is found in the end of it. The message Im trying to put out is if you watch this film, you'll be left in no doubt as to dangers of what can happen and not just in physical straightforward ways of what you think.

Whether you watch the film or not, do not let your children have unsupervised access until at least 16. Regularly check emails, chats and phones. Thats just the rules.

If you think they're ok at even 14-15, watch that film, it'll change your mind on what you thought you knew.

If anyone needs any help with anything IT related. Id be glad to advise on here. Ive 4 daughters btw and they all know the rules. no unsupervised access, emails and phones and texts are regularly spot checked (its either that or they dont have them) and constant reminders of the bad things that are out there even though they hate having the chats.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Great topic. I was thinking about posting a similar topic this week actually!

Although I work in the UK, Im not removed from what's happening in Ireland and have siblings in school etc still...I'm constantly being asked by parents in work on how to talk to their kids about this stuff etc. If it's okay Id like to post some sites that although UK based, have great videos and clips to show kids and parents and raise discussion. The UK is a little ahead of Ireland in terms of what they are doing so I think theyve great resources and still relevant to Ireland.

http://ceop.police.uk/
    https://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/parents/
    http://www.saferinternet.org.uk/advice-and-resources
    Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ceop

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I worked indirectly in this area for years . I think one of the issues is the kids understand it all better then the parents and teachers.
    Once parents and teachers are better educated about computers,the internet and associated risks then alot of the issues will be resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,360 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

my eldest is only 8 but has been online for about a year , his first experience of being "bullied" was himself sundendly bursting into tears because someone had "griefed" him on a game called minecraft. It was a good lesson in how to sort it out, he emailed the mod and got the other person banned from the server :D
    I fully agree, until some age its up to parents to have tabs on their online activity. By now every parent has grown up with computers so there is no excuse as there might have been a decade ago

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement