Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Duathlon

Options
  • 26-02-2013 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Hi
    My first dualathon is this Saturday in balbriggan. I've never done one before and am not in a club. Havent a clue what to expect and am now worried about my time! Will the course close?? It's 11k run then 40k cycle then 6 k run. I'd be an hour on first run but my cycle would be 2hr 40 min and 6k after cycle around 45 min. Should I pull out with these times. I entered just as a goal to drop weight but I don't want to hold show up and be a complete embarssment! :( All advice welcome thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Do you mean 1 hour 40 on the bike, 2 hours 40 seems too slow for someone that can run 11k in an hour, you should be fine you will have a good lead on a lot of entrants with that 11k time.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭tony stark

The cycle wouldn't be under two hours anyway

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Never underestimate the benefit you get from a race situation, you generally try harder and it will show in your times.

Your run times are grand, plenty will be around your level. A two hour bike isn't bad either, so I wouldn't worry if I were you. Just get out there and enjoy it.

I don't know about that race, but races with actual cut-offs (where they will remove you from the course) usually state it on the race briefing.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

I'd say you'll be alright, I did the last one out there and there were people coming in fairly late on. Well organised race. The run course is tough!

I think I'm going to head out to this on saturday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭tinydave

tony stark wrote: »
    Hi
    I entered just as a goal to drop weight but I don't want to hold show up and be a complete embarssment! :( All advice welcome thanks

Great to have goals and to start doing something about them too, you wont hold the show up at all either Tony, we will wait till everyone passes the finish line and i'm sure you wont be the last one :)

See you Saturday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Youll be fine. i did my first duathlon over the weekend.
    a 5k run, 30k cycle and 2k run
    5k run was fine but my cycle was crap and by the time i was finished the bike virtually everyone was finished the 2k run.
    just turn up and do what you can.
    The worst thing to do is not turn up at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭tony stark

That's great advice. Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

I think you might just be overestimating your cycle leg, if you can run 11km in an hour you are pretty fit and I'm sure you can do a sub 2hr cycle leg! You most definitely won't finish last, enjoy your race.

Advertisement