Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places for lunch on East of city

Options
  • 26-02-2013 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

looking for somewhere for nice lunch on east side of city.
    The G is too slow. huntsman could be option but are there other places?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Frends (yes you read that right, there is no i) on the Tuam Road has a very good reputation for "a good feed". It's across from Galway City Gym in that first business centre on the right outbound.

And I think it's carvery so no waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭juicet3rry

The Clayton? Ryan's Hotel (or Days...or whatever it's called now!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Off the top of my head:
    McHughs (opposite Corinthians Rugby Club).
    Flannerys Hotel in Renmore.
    The Galway Plate (on the Tuam Rd near Monaghans garage).
    The Trappers Inn (Tuam Rd, Mervue).
    Bodkins (Merlin Park).
    Menlo Park Hotel (Ballinfoyle RAB).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The Galway Plate is a decent option, as is the Kingsvalley Hotel across from the Merlin Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭chuckliddell

kraggy wrote: »
    Frends (yes you read that right, there is no i) on the Tuam Road has a very good reputation for "a good feed". It's across from Galway City Gym in that first business centre on the right outbound.

And I think it's carvery so no waiting.

Frends closed down a few weeks ago afik

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

I was in the Kingsvalley for a Carvery the other day and its not great. Frends is gone, I fear. Not a lot out this way. +1 for the Galway Plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

Thanks guys for all the suggestions.
    Are Kingsvalley and Bodkins still open? Heard recently one of them had closed but cannot remember which one.

Ended up going to Radisson in the end. Someone at work mentioned a buffet lunch and it was fab! All you can eat for €22 or individual courses for a certain price. We had 2 mains @ 12.95 each (buffet from rosemary lamb, beef stew, salmon and vegetarian option, fresh veg and sauteed potatoes) - I tried a bit or everything! and 1 dessert between us both@ 4.95 - apple cheesecake, choc mousse, carrot cake and creme brulee, fresh fruit etc...again i put a bit of everything on the plate and really should have been charged for like 4 desserts!! Free coffees to finish and fit to burst!!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Frends closed down a few weeks ago afik

No it hasn't. I was there fifteen minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

buzz11 wrote: »
    No it hasn't. I was there fifteen minutes ago.
    just seen a connacht player tweet a picture in the place so no its not closed.
    can we not say places are closed unless were 100% about it, bad for there business

Plenty of places in Liosban.

Mostly sandwich places but Mixgreens has just opened and the Bankx (SP?) has reopened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

Bit late, but The Wild Nettle near D.I.D. is definitely worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

fifib wrote: »
    Thanks guys for all the suggestions.
    Are Kingsvalley and Bodkins still open? Heard recently one of them had closed but cannot remember which one.

The chef that used to be in Bodkins (I think) is now running McHughs, don't know if they got anyone in to replace him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

swine wrote: »
    Bit late, but The Wild Nettle near D.I.D. is definitely worth a look.

Expensive and haven't changed their menus in about 5 years. Food is good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Just want to highlight Trappers. Eaten there a couple of times recently and it's been as good as anywhere in the city be it carvery lunch or evening dinners. Lovely Guinness too!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Bethlehem on the Monivea Road just after the turn for Castlepark

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Bethlehem on the Monivea Road just after the turn for Castlepark

Excellent recommendation. Fantastic food and quite decently priced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭sorsha

swine wrote: »
    The Wild Nettle near D.I.D. is definitely worth a look.
    No, it is not. Their "Galway Bay seafood chowder" is a joke. Also I had breakfast there recently and it was absolutely horrible.

sorsha wrote: »
    Their "Galway Bay seafood chowder" is a joke. Also I had breakfast there recently and it was absolutely horrible.

Elaborate please.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Coffee Heaven also in Briarhill BP. Coffee/sandwich bar, but nice enough.

Also a new place has opened where Yaya's used to be in City East BP. Haven't tried it yet, so don't know what it's like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭sorsha

Elaborate please.

Simply it was not good enough. Chowder maybe had few pieces of previously frozen fish,but to call it "galway bay sea food"... and there was artificial taste in it of probably some fish bullion which is a crime.
    Breakfast - sloppy, just not nicely done, too much fat on bacon, burned toasts etc. I know what good food should look and taste like..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

...there was artificial taste in it of probably some fish bullion which is a crime.

First world problems ....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

First world problems ....

Well, if it tastes crap and it's not cheap, then isn't the poster right to be annoyed by it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No, it is not. Their "Galway Bay seafood chowder" is a joke. Also I had breakfast there recently and it was absolutely horrible.
    Simply it was not good enough. Chowder maybe had few pieces of previously frozen fish,but to call it "galway bay sea food"... and there was artificial taste in it of probably some fish bullion which is a crime.
    Breakfast - sloppy, just not nicely done, too much fat on bacon, burned toasts etc. I know what good food should look and taste like..
    Warning given. Read charter bullet 8
    "If someone asks for recommendations, don't use the opportunity to mention places that have "wronged" you."
    Actually read the entire charter.
    Thx

Any questions, please PM me, don't post them in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

biko wrote: »
    Warning given. Read charter bullet 8
    "If someone asks for recommendations, don't use the opportunity to mention places that have "wronged" you."
    Actually read the entire charter.
    Thx

Any questions, please PM me, don't post them in this thread.

Text speak?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 RealRedfraggle

Mixgreens is excellent food!

jenno86 wrote: »
    Text speak?! :pac:

GMQJ

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Also a new place has opened where Yaya's used to be in City East BP. Haven't tried it yet, so don't know what it's like.

That's Cruinniu. It's pretty good. I've been there a few times and it's always been good and the prices are quite reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

Table Talk deserves a mention as well. Good selection of 'regular' food at reasonable prices. In behind the Spar shop on the Parkmore Rd. Also as already mentioned, The Trappers and McHughs. Between they keep me well fed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Wild Nettle, did win a slew of bridgestone awards. I hope it's not slipping

• Advertisement
Advertisement