Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Passport for Daughter

Options
  • 26-02-2013 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭

Our Daughter's passport is due to expire in August, we are going home at the end of april for a few weeks and I was thinking of renewing it through the post office as it only takes 10 days, my question is do I have to notify DIAC of the new passport details as we are on a 457 or is it done automatically? or whould we wait until we come back and do it the slow way from here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

I think this is what you need - Form 929:

http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/visa-enquiries/change.htm

Not sure how long you need to give DIAC to update it though...You'd probably want to find out rather than arriving back in Australia and having problems re-entering because they haven't processed the update.

I'll have a similar issue for myself later in the year, think I'll just do it through the embassy here. Does anyone know how long it takes to process a new Irish passport via Canberra? I'm trying to figure out how long I'd be without my passport so I can pick the best time to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

6ix wrote: »
    I think this is what you need - Form 929:

http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/visa-enquiries/change.htm

Not sure how long you need to give DIAC to update it though...You'd probably want to find out rather than arriving back in Australia and having problems re-entering because they haven't processed the update.

I'll have a similar issue for myself later in the year, think I'll just do it through the embassy here. Does anyone know how long it takes to process a new Irish passport via Canberra? I'm trying to figure out how long I'd be without my passport so I can pick the best time to do it.

I got mine in a couple of weeks, can't remember exact dates, but around a 3-4 weeks.

I just went into the visa label place (Lee street, sydney) and got them to update/swap records for my 457 then and there

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

We gotta new passport from Australian embassy while here, it took about a month I think. They did actually ring our witnesses to confirm!

They don't automatically update your visa to your new passport. You can do this yourself by sending off a form. I forgot to do this before a trip abroad but luckily had both new and old passports with us so it involved not being allowed board return flight while the airline rang Immigration to confirm. Needless to say I have now sent off the form!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I did this last year. Pretty straight forward. Get the new visa when you are open in april, request to retain the old cancelled on just to be safe. Notify immi via email (attach the form above) as soon as you get the new passport number. That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I'll do that so!!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement