Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contacts or glasses?

Options
  • 26-02-2013 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

I've been wearing glasses for short-sightedness for the last four years, but only for work/watching tv etc, not for everyday use. However, my vision has deteriorated a bit recently and, judging by the number of potholes I hit at the weekend, it's time for me to do something.

I was considering getting daily use contacts solely for long spins/races, but have read that swimming with contacts can be dangerous?

My other option seems to be getting a set of prescription goggles (OW sighting can be interesting sometimes :P) and something like these for the bike.

Anyone have similar difficulties?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Contacts are way better than glasses for doing sports.

If your not needing to wear glasses all the time then you probably can get away without them for sports though. You only don't need to see in high definition for most things, certainly not for swimming, probably not for running, and on the bike only because you might want to red the numbers on the computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Guy in my club has pair of those glasses, and also prescription goggles for swimming. Don't think they cost him the earth, and they certainly dont slow him down as his sub 10 in Austria last year will attest.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Prescription goggles arent great tbh,had them before,cost about 50 quid in Specsavers,theyre only roughly matched to your eyes unlike glasses,if your eyes arent too bad then id say dont bother,think you can get much better more accurate goggles too but much pricier and ive heard there not much better(by a guy worked there!)blind as i am i just stopped wearing mine in the pool,have a rough idea where other people are:o

Contacts are the way to go but there not recommended around water at all,other than theyre perfect,id be lost without them for training

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Navvyy

I've tried both prescription googles and contacts. You can find online goggles made up to your individual prescription. I had bad experiences swimming open water with contacts. Twice I've "lost" contacts in the eye when goggles knocked off - not nice. Eventually went with lazer to fix my sight. Strongly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

I've used contacts for 5 years without any problems. Though the contacts are gas permeable so maybe that makes a difference?

Would find glasses awful. The few times I've cycled with my glasses I have hated it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I always wear contacts swimming and have never had a problem. Weekly pool swims, a few OW training swims, Tri and OW races. Key is a well-fitting pair of goggles. I'm never at the pointy end of things where it likely to get goggles elbowed off my face, though.
    I wear good quality shades or safety glasses on the bike too; can't be rubbing grit out of the eyes if you've contacts in.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

I use contacts (daly disposable) when open water swimming without issue, although I wear the aquasphere goggle which don't put too much pressure around the eye socket.

I use the aquasphere's with prescription lenses for pool swimming, only because I would use up the disposables too quickly.

T

Advertisement