Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed consistent with line attenuation and S/N ?

• 26-02-2013 2:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭

Just wondering if someone could comment if the speeds I am seeing are consistent with the line attenuation and S/N margin figures I get.
    I am on 8 Mb NGB but mostly get between 4Mb and 4.5Mb, occasionally up to 5Mb but it never lasts. Equally, it could dip below 4Mb requiring a reset or power cycle to improve things.

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 4896 512
    SN [SIZE=+0]Margin (dB) 7.00 25.00[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0][SIZE=+0]Line [/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=+0][SIZE=+0]Attenuation (dB) 32.00 17.50[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0][SIZE=+0][SIZE=+0]CRC Errors 259 1

[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
    Any comments would be appreciated before I bring this up with the provider again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

bobgaf wrote: »
    Just wondering if someone could comment if the speeds I am seeing are consistent with the line attenuation and S/N margin figures I get.
    I am on 8 Mb NGB but mostly get between 4Mb and 4.5Mb, occasionally up to 5Mb but it never lasts. Equally, it could dip below 4Mb requiring a reset or power cycle to improve things.

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 4896 512
    SN [SIZE=+0]Margin (dB) 7.00 25.00[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0][SIZE=+0]Line [/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=+0][SIZE=+0]Attenuation (dB) 32.00 17.50[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0][SIZE=+0][SIZE=+0]CRC Errors 259 1

[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
    Any comments would be appreciated before I bring this up with the provider again.

Your line attenuation isn't all that high. You are syncing fairly low on it. Your SNR is high enough that speeds could be boosted a tad.

If you are with eircom they would be willing to boost your sync rate. If you are with another provider they may not be willing or may not have the options.

For example I was with Eircom and used to have a 15m/bit connection very reliable. .5 m/bit upload speed. I tinkered with my modem (a billion) and got Eircom to boost my speeds to 17m/bit. it was fairly reliable. When I changed to Imagine, I went for the 12m/bit down and 1 m/bit up connection. Subsequently Imagine have told me they can't give me higher download speeds, even though I know my line has handled, and could handle it with the stats that I have. I'm not too upset as 12m/bit is okay and FTTC is just around the corner.

I would check all internal wiring to make sure nothing is degrading your line quality. Also make sure you are plugged into the master socket and that everything else is disconnected. At my parents house, I got an electrician to disconnect all of the internal sockets around the house, so that only the master socket was live. It led to a 2m/bit boost in speed. From 4 to 6 is a substantial jump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

all very good advice and if you get the eircom integrated phone socket, ie no need for a filter you will get a bit more. My line stats are not as good as yours and I can sync at 7616. I got a better router as well so it will not loose the connection when re-synching.

I got rid of ALL my extensions and ran my own cable from the eircom NTU to the eircom integrated socket. I got a dect phone with wireless extensions and bingo it all worked. I was on 3.5mb prior to all this and now its 5.8mb plus all the time.

A good router is essential. Mine is netgear.

Strange in that eircom would not boost my line but VF did!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭bobgaf

Appreciate the replies. Very informative.
    Just taken the stats again and with the same attenuation and S/N, the speed has now jumped by 1Mb, how can this be explained ?

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps)5952 512
    SN Margin (dB) 7.00 25.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 32.00 17.50
    CRC Errors 178 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

bobgaf wrote: »
    Appreciate the replies. Very informative.
    Just taken the stats again and with the same attenuation and S/N, the speed has now jumped by 1Mb, how can this be explained?
    Its because your line is set to an 8MB profile but it cannot achieved those speeds due to your attenuation (distance from exchange, approx. 3KM). Ring your provider and ask them to drop the profile to 6MB (6144 kbps / 512 kbps) and see if it syncs at those exact figures. If its still not exact on the downstream at 6144, ask your ISP to drop it to 5MB (5120 kbps / 512 kbps) because that would be your achievable maximum sync.

Advertisement