Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner Permit Application Issues

• 26-02-2013 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Hey,

After waiting 25days for my learners permit to come back I finally recieved a letter back from Dublin City Council this morning.

They were nice enough to return everything I sent to them along with a letter indicating that because the address on my Full Car Licence is different than the one I'm putting on my LP, I have to apply for a new full car licence.

So I have to return everything I had already sent along with another form and 2 more passport photos in order to get my LP.

They were also kind enough to stamp my postal order, photos and just about everything else I sent so I cant just send it to my Motor Tax office at home (Mullingar) and avoid getting a new full car licence.

[The only reason for the difference in address was convenience]

I contacted them and they said that all my documentation should not have been sent back to me and that it IS possible to get a LP with a different address to my full car licence. He wanted me to just send everything back including a small note to tell who ever is processing it! :confused:

Has anyone else gotten their LP since the new regulations? If so exactly what did you include when you sent it off? (I really dont want to get this wrong and have to wait another 3+ weeks to be told i've done it wrong)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭underwaterdog

This is not an issue regarding the new rules. The same happened to me last September.

As I had moved in between renewing my car licence and applying for the bike the addresses were different and both had to have the same. Fortunately I went to the local motor tax office and did it all over the counter. It came up on the system that I already held a licence so they wouldn't issue a second with a different address.

I had to get another set of four photos and hand them in with the application and received both licences back within about three weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

This is not an issue regarding the new rules. The same happened to me last September.

As I had moved in between renewing my car licence and applying for the bike the addresses were different and both had to have the same. Fortunately I went to the local motor tax office and did it all over the counter. It came up on the system that I already held a licence so they wouldn't issue a second with a different address.

I had to get another set of four photos and hand them in with the application and received both licences back within about three weeks.

Did you have to pay the €35 fee for a replacement licence? Or any fee at all?

I only had to pay the one fee as it wasn't processed until I submitted both licences with all the pictures at the desk. Not sure how it works through the post.

Changing the address on the car licence was free, so only had to pay the €35 for the bike learner permit.

I purposely went in to the motor tax office as I was sure I'd forget to fill in something in and they'd have to send it back. I don't know where you're based but the people in Wicklow were very helpful, even let me skip the queue when I returned with the extra photos as all I had to do was hand it in.

I only had to pay the one fee as it wasn't processed until I submitted both licences with all the pictures at the desk. Not sure how it works through the post.

Changing the address on the car licence was free, so only had to pay the €35 for the bike learner permit.

I purposely went in to the motor tax office as I was sure I'd forget to fill in something in and they'd have to send it back. I don't know where you're based but the people in Wicklow were very helpful, even let me skip the queue when I returned with the extra photos as all I had to do was hand it in.

Yea ideally I'd go into the tax office but thats just not possible. They're only open 9.30-3.30 and i'm based in Dublin. The nearest one is more than just a bus away so i'd have to take a half day!! I'll chance just filling in the extra form and adding another 2 photos and pray for the best!

Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Lt Smash

Hey,

About to have the same mad problems myself starting tomorrow by the sounds of it.

Background:

I have a full car licence for nearly 10 years now and applying for my LP for the bike. The full licence isn't up for renewal until October this year so cannot renew it until July. I moved house in the last few months so will have a different address on full and LP.

From what I can make out from up above posts;

I need to change the address on my full (even though it will be only for 3 months until I can apply for a renewal) - Free to do?

-and-

Apply for the LP for the bike with new address - €35

What paperwork did you need to send off with the 2 applications?
    -theory test
    -full licence
    -utility bill of new address
    - did you need to submit an eyesight report (D502)??

Thanks for the help,

Lt Smash

• Advertisement

Lt Smash wrote: »
    Hey,

About to have the same mad problems myself starting tomorrow by the sounds of it.

Background:

I have a full car licence for nearly 10 years now and applying for my LP for the bike. The full licence isn't up for renewal until October this year so cannot renew it until July. I moved house in the last few months so will have a different address on full and LP.

From what I can make out from up above posts;

I need to change the address on my full (even though it will be only for 3 months until I can apply for a renewal) - Free to do?

-and-

Apply for the LP for the bike with new address - €35

What paperwork did you need to send off with the 2 applications?
    -theory test
    -full licence
    -utility bill of new address
    - did you need to submit an eyesight report (D502)??

Thanks for the help,

Lt Smash

Change of address on the car licence was free.

You'll need original theory test cert, your full licence and four pictures (2 for each licence) and you will need the eyesight report from an approved optician (cost me €15 and took about 15 minutes).

I didn't need to hand in a bill or anything else as proof of address.

As mentioned previously, I found it dead handy doing it over the desk at the motor tax office. At least they can tell you there and then if there's a problem and you can sort it without having to wait for it to be processed and sent back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Lt Smash

Change of address on the car licence was free.

You'll need original theory test cert, your full licence and four pictures (2 for each licence) and you will need the eyesight report from an approved optician (cost me €15 and took about 15 minutes).

I didn't need to hand in a bill or anything else as proof of address.

As mentioned previously, I found it dead handy doing it over the desk at the motor tax office. At least they can tell you there and then if there's a problem and you can sort it without having to wait for it to be processed and sent back to you.

Thanks for that, can't believe they making us submit an eye test again even with full licence being sent to them and it's not needed for a renewal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

dont tell me i need to submit an eye report when i change mine to the unrestricted permit from my current restricted one:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

If you have a valid medical card...then you are entitled to a free eye test and in some cases...free glasses too.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/Older_People_Services/Benefits_and_Entitlements/Optical_benefit.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Well they have since changed the rules from 3 years ago.......the sneaky feckers indeed.

So now you cant get it done for free.....typical.:o:rolleyes:

What Is Optical Benefit?
    Optical Benefit pays some of the cost of treatments relating to eye care for people who do not qualify for free care and who have paid enough social insurance (PRSI). Benefits can include help with the cost of:

Glasses
    Replacement lenses to existing frames
    Eye examination (this does not cover the cost of an eye examination for visual display units (VDU) such as computers or for driving licences)
    Contact lenses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

after waiting a good month ive finally got my LP in the post. The only thing wrong has been the time taken other than that everything went smooth.

Id recommen anybody and everybody to go into their local tax office when dealing with that sortta stuff. Theres nothing better than peace of mine when sifting through all that paperwork!

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    after waiting a good month ive finally got my LP in the post. The only thing wrong has been the time taken other than that everything went smooth.

Id recommen anybody and everybody to go into their local tax office when dealing with that sortta stuff. Theres nothing better than peace of mine when sifting through all that paperwork!

Good for you! Happy Biking!!

Sadly due to work commitments its very hard (impossible without booking time off) for me to get the time to do that!

I've sent it off in the post again so fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

ok so you dont have to send in an eyesight report when your changing categories, i've been into galway coco today to change mine to the unrestricted one and they reckon 2 weeks to get it back to me

assume you got a receipt though so you should be able to drive around now, no bother :)

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    assume you got a receipt though so you should be able to drive around now, no bother :)

Actually without doing the IBT you cant drive anywhere!!

I didnt have to send in any eye sight report. As far as i'm aware you only need that report if its the first time your applying for a licence in any category. If you already have say a car licence then its not necessary.

martomcg wrote: »
    Actually without doing the IBT you cant drive anywhere!!

I didnt have to send in any eye sight report. As far as i'm aware you only need that report if its the first time your applying for a licence in any category. If you already have say a car licence then its not necessary.

I dunno why but I thought he was applying to get his full licence ? Oh well! My bad, yeh rule of thumb no IBT, no driving.

Advertisement