Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon's Den returning Sunday 3rd March

Options
  • 26-02-2013 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

New series starting this Sunday. We've three new Dragons on board as Bobby Kerr, Niall O'Farrell and Norah Casey have dropped out for their various reasons.

I'm hoping to see a lot more pitches from IT & new media start-ups than we did in the last series, especially as Sean O'Sullivan is there and now we also have Barry O'Sullivan, who is another experienced investor with a ton of Silicon Valley connections.

The other new Dragons Peter Casey (Global Recruitment) and Ramona Nichols (Pharmacies) are a bit of an unknown quantity for now but the first couple of episodes should reveal the type of investments they're seeking.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/dragonsden/profiles.html

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

On the TV ads they say 1 million was invested over the series, which is the largest amount so far, so that sounds positive.

I too hope there is more technology based presentations. Not all of course, as I think a mix of different presentations catches the public's eye more than one type solely.

As a TV show I like it I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

Can't wait for the new season.Be interseting to see how Ramona does,she lives up our way and runs a great chain of pharmacies(Cara Pharmacy).Be interseted to see what type of ventures she goes for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Sounds good. Wonder if there'll be an uptick in the number of techie/web style ventures being pitched? (Must build that Irish search engine and try ;) ).

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

jmcc wrote: »
    Sounds good. Wonder if there'll be an uptick in the number of techie/web style ventures being pitched? (Must build that Irish search engine and try ;) ).

Regards...jmcc

I'm hoping so too. I thought there would be a lot more tech start-ups in the last series due to the presence of Sean O'Sullivan. I guess a lot of tech companies didn't know he was a Dragon until the program was already recorded and actually being aired. This year should be different though and now Barry O'Sullivan is on board too so tech start-ups should be swarming around these lads like flies to sh1t as between the two of them they have personal wealth in the hundreds of millions, i.e far in excess of any other of their fellow Dragons.

Hopefully we'll see some nail biting pitches for new tech products and services in the €50k-150k range rather than people coming on looking for €10k or €15k for retail products which has been the norn in the last couple of years and is wearing a bit thin IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Bobby kerr only received €5000 out of his investments of €250k which was very surprising despite the range he invested into
    and Niall o Farell by his own public accounts didnt take a wage for the last 4 years from his business because of financial pressures, im wondering out loud was it a last ditch attempt before going under.

And i agree Ratm, would be fantastic to see some great I.T. investments, or Tech based rather than some of the smaller pitches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

RATM wrote: »
    Hopefully we'll see some nail biting pitches for new tech products and services in the €50k-150k range

That's not a lot of money. Especially if you have a good idea and they're looking for 50% of your company for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Bobby kerr only received €5000 out of his investments of €250k which was very surprising despite the range he invested into
    and Niall o Farell by his own public accounts didnt take a wage for the last 4 years from his business because of financial pressures, im wondering out loud was it a last ditch attempt before going under.

And i agree Ratm, would be fantastic to see some great I.T. investments, or Tech based rather than some of the smaller pitches.

Nah! The last ditch attempt before going under is to get a presenting job on Newstalk. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

Are you saying he only made 5k back from 250k in investment across the different products and services he punted on?!

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

RATM wrote: »
    I'm hoping so too. I thought there would be a lot more tech start-ups in the last series due to the presence of Sean O'Sullivan. I guess a lot of tech companies didn't know he was a Dragon until the program was already recorded and actually being aired. This year should be different though and now Barry O'Sullivan is on board too so tech start-ups should be swarming around these lads like flies to sh1t as between the two of them they have personal wealth in the hundreds of millions, i.e far in excess of any other of their fellow Dragons.

Hopefully we'll see some nail biting pitches for new tech products and services in the €50k-150k range rather than people coming on looking for €10k or €15k for retail products which has been the norn in the last couple of years and is wearing a bit thin IMO.

Big time, there are only so many home-made sauces, bin-trashers and gardening gadgets that you can watch being put forward for investment :)

Love the show though and reckon there will be a good lot of tech startup ideas this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

Looking forward to this, especially the first episode. Someone I know is pitching for investment, can't wait to see how she gets on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 RedRockets

Really dont like the Irish version as its very "amateur hour".

I will watch the first episode then decide if i will invest "my time" in the rest of the series.

colblimp wrote: »
    Looking forward to this, especially the first episode. Someone I know is pitching for investment, can't wait to see how she gets on.

Wasn't it already filmed so you'd know how she's done by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

RedRockets wrote: »

I will watch the first episode then decide if in the rest of the series.

Thats similar to saying, this college im going to, i,ll see how the first day goes and we,ll see if "i invest" my time in a long standing career in this field ???

Omg is all i have to say

And i agree with you on the "Amateur hour" usually its coming from the condescending dragons side, anyone's who.s ideas or skill set not up to scratch should not be on the show !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

smash wrote: »

It is typically filmed in Taylor's Three Rock in late November/early December and early January.

You do however have to sign a contract saying you won't disclose how you got on, but that is more for the press and media coverage side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

Oh yeah! :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RedRockets

Thats similar to saying, this college im going to, i,ll see how the first day goes and we,ll see if "i invest" my time in a long standing career in this field ???

Omg is all i have to say

And i agree with you on the "Amateur hour" usually its coming from the condescending dragons side, anyone's who.s ideas or skill set not up to scratch should not be on the show !!

I said I did'nt rate the irish dragons den series.The only reason I will watch it this sunday is because there are two new dragons on it.

And yes if its crap I will not waste my time watching the rest of the series. Quite simple really.

Oh and quote me properly next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭chprt

any idea how to apply or if its too late?

paddy

www.onlinemathsgrinds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ideaburst

RedRockets wrote: »

I will watch the first episode then decide if i will invest "my time" in the rest of the series.

I don't think the British one is any different, most of the people who go in there often don't have their homework done, etc, either.

Unless you are talking about the Dragons themselves.

ideaburst wrote: »
    I don't think the British one is any different, most of the people who go in there often don't have their homework done, etc, either.

Unless you are talking about the Dragons themselves.

In fairness, the British Dragons are a hell of a lot more successful than the Irish Dragons have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭BigGrayKettle

chprt wrote: »
    any idea how to apply or if its too late?

paddy

It's far too late for the season that is about to start on TV - applications for next years show would being to be reviewed from August/September 2013 on. It used to be the way that you could send in an application any time, but they just won't follow up on it until a few months before filming begins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

In fairness, the British Dragons are a hell of a lot more successful than the Irish Dragons have been.

But to be fair they have a mega pool of potential participants and can probably edit out a lot of the pitches, or have prescreening, and focus on the high potential ones.

Advertisement