Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating for starters

Options
  • 26-02-2013 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I am new into boating. Would anyone have advise on where should I start in Limerick area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

FixYa wrote: »
    I am new into boating. Would anyone have advise on where should I start in Limerick area?
    IMO it would be wise to go out with a ghillle for the first couple of trips or someone who is familiar with the water and engine and just look and learn , always be willing to learn lakes and conditions will vary. It's hard to take it all in first few times but just get used to a local water and some of the drifts and go slowly , you will get there and respect the water ,tight lines

• Registered Users Posts: 15 shneill

just bought my first boat in the limerick area also. Only a 10ft, buying a 4hp Evinrude motor for it in the next few days. Have little experience in using either boats or outboard motors. Was thinking two mile gate in killaloe would be a good spot to learn, plenty of space. Life jackets essential!!:)

shneill wrote: »
    just bought my first boat in the limerick area also. Only a 10ft, buying a 4hp Evinrude motor for it in the next few days. Have little experience in using either boats or outboard motors. Was thinking two mile gate in killaloe would be a good spot to learn, plenty of space. Life jackets essential!!:)
    Good luck with your set up and well said re life jackets they are more important than the engine Stan Headly has a good article in January edition of trout and salmon mag re boating safety on lochs .

• Registered Users Posts: 42 FixYa

I was also wondering you need any license or be part of the club to start.
    Is there any legislation around it? Or it is just the mattery of buying a bouat and start boating :)

I wouldn't imagine you'd need a licence to join a club, i've heard some clubs can be quite exclusive in terms of allowing new members(apparently due to the fact that their is little or no interest shown by people looking to join), but for the most part anyone ive spoken to has been nothing but encouraging! Ive spoken to people who are members of both the curraghgower boat club(beside the courthouse) and the club in Thomandgate(new road, just behind kinsellas pub). Access to the river is the main reason i'd be looking to join a club. Any idea where else to look?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Jim from Cork

While there are no licences required for pleasure boating ( other than fishing and VHF) there is plenty to be thinking about and doing.

The code of practice for safe use of recreational craft is worth a read:
    http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/9650-0.pdf

Anyone recommend where to get good value life jackets/ buoyancy aids?

shneill wrote: »
    Anyone recommend where to get good value life jackets/ buoyancy aids?
    Premier angling in nenagh is not too bad good quality and value

took the new vessel on its maiden voyage this morning, went out on the shannon at o briens bridge co. clare. great little slipway on the tipp side of the bridge. bloody loved it! all souls accounted for raring for more :)

good stuff. I want to start boating. Are you member of the club? Can you give directions on where you start?

• Advertisement

Do you have a boat yourself or are you just looking to join a club? The university have a club running which anyone with an interest in boating can join. You can contact them through the ULSU website or just call out to the new boathouse out there! I'm not a member of any club at present just more of a hobby, I got into through friends.

I went looking for any traces of the Corbally Boat club of which my grandfather was a member. The old slipway at the bottom of the mill road seems very decayed, is it still in existence does anyone know?

I am still looking to buy one. Would need an advice on what boat should i start with. I have budget of 2-3K . would you have some recommendations on what engine and boat would be good

2 -3k? That might be a bit of a large investment into something you haven't really tried yet? i bought my 10ft(fibreglass) with an 4hp(horse power) engine and trailer all for 500. I was advised to start off relatively small and learn as i go, investing more money depending on whether or not my interest keeps up. But thats just the way i'm going to do it - you could buy something something very nice for 2-3k, but I wouldnt have the knowledge or experience to give advice on that sort of investment!! I bought mine off adverts.ie and the guy i was dealing with was very informative so maybe try that route?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I am still looking to buy one. Would need an advice on what boat should i start with. I have budget of 2-3K . would you have some recommendations on what engine and boat would be good

There are a lot of factors that can come into buying a boat so here are a few things to think about.

1) What type of water will you be using on fresh/salt, open lakes, costal or just rivers.

2) If you plan on bring kids out you might want to think about a cabin.

3) Do you want one that you can launch and retrieve on your own.

4) Whats the towing capacity of your car.

5) Do you want to be able to take a few friends out (are you/they big guys)

6) You can afford a boat but can you afford fuel,servicing,lifejackets and all the bits and bobs. It will more than likely need a service and impeller change before you head out on the water so add that onto your cost.

7) Have you got safe storage.

8) Boats are mostly sold as seen "you have no comeback" so bring someone that knows boats and engines to look at it with you.

These are just a few things and I'm sure there are more, another thing worth thinking about is a powerboat course http://www.powerboatschool.ie/ these are all over the country and by powerboat they mean a boat with an engine not just a high speed craft.
    Hope this helps a bit,Best of luck.

thanks for a tips
    Will need to think about these items and considering my budget ....will probably be thinking untill next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

CAn I ask if there's fishing involved in the boating or just boating?
    It would be hugely inadvisable to consider taking a 10ft boat out onto any of our larger lakes in anything but relatively calm water which makes it restrictive in terms of how useful it is for fishing purposes.
    Lake fishing from a boat involves drifting square on along the path of the wind with the wave breaking ahead of you and to do that in a 10ft boat in any half decent fishing wave would be highly dangerous, no matter what size your engine. The engine will get you from A to B but it has no real relevance when it comes to the drift other than to get you there.
    A good 19ft fibreglass boat with a new Yamaha 6hp short shaft 4stroke will cope with any lough in this country. I bought a Wilkinson 19ft Corrib and the same engine for about £2,800 all in and with a bit of care and attention, both should for as long as I'll be able to use them unless I'm stupid or unlucky.
    A well-built wood boat is a lovely thing but it requires maintenance and a lot more care than fibreglass.
    You'll pick up a perfectly good fibreglass 17/18/19ft boat for €1000/1500. If it costs any less, you need to take a harder look.
    In terms of learning the ropes, follow advice above which is spot on. Watch and learn before you buy. This ain't a toy and it is very easy to be complacent.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭tootsy70

OP, If your thinking of using your boat on a river and fishing from it then i should inform you not to buy it because in the moy thread on here, some are saying you wont be able to fish from it.

Mr Bumble wrote: »
    A well-built wood boat is a lovely thing but it requires maintenance and a lot more care than fibreglass.
    You'll pick up a perfectly good fibreglass 17/18/19ft boat for €1000/1500. If it costs any less, you need to take a harder look.
    In terms of learning the ropes, follow advice above which is spot on. Watch and learn before you buy. This ain't a toy and it is very easy to be complacent.

Here in the link below is a wooden/fiberglass boat but cant tell what length it is, maybe 12-15ft at a guess but one thing i can tell, its one fine boat. If i had the money i used to have, id love to buy this but sadly im skint :mad: I dont know if the op would want such a boat for a starter boat but its worth a look. It doesnt say anything about an enginer or live jackets thou because if i was buying a boat, id expect life jackets thrown in for free lol

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/sailing/4866869

It's a lovely boat and beautifully finished but completely impractical as a long term investment for fishing. Is about 12 ft, maybe 14 and as a rowing boat, great but of limited use for drifting.....I can't see why anyone would pay €2000 for this....especially when you could pick up this...... http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/sailing/4824286 ......boat + enghine + trailer for 1850 and maybe less if ya haggle.....if this one is kosher, I wouldn't look any further...great deal

It's a lovely boat and beautifully finished but completely impractical as a long term investment for fishing. Is about 12 ft, maybe 14 and as a rowing boat, great but of limited use for drifting.....I can't see why anyone would pay €2000 for this....especially when you could pick up this...... http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/sailing/4824286 ......boat + enghine + trailer for 1850 and maybe less if ya haggle.....if this one is kosher, I wouldn't look any further...great deal

What is drifting? I contacted the seller of this boat to see if theres a trailer with it and he informed me that its light enough to put on a roof rack. HEs told me that this boat is light yet very strong. As for you cant see why anyone would pay 2000 for it, i think its the quality of workmanship that youd be paying for and the look of the boat. You know what the irish are like these days, well in the boom times anyway, everyone wanted to out do each other with cars,houses designer clothes etc.. boats are no different IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

CAn I ask if there's fishing involved in the boating or just boating?
    It would be hugely inadvisable to consider taking a 10ft boat out onto any of our larger lakes in anything but relatively calm water which makes it restrictive in terms of how useful it is for fishing purposes.
    Lake fishing from a boat involves drifting square on along the path of the wind with the wave breaking ahead of you and to do that in a 10ft boat in any half decent fishing wave would be highly dangerous, no matter what size your engine. The engine will get you from A to B but it has no real relevance when it comes to the drift other than to get you there.
    A good 19ft fibreglass boat with a new Yamaha 6hp short shaft 4stroke will cope with any lough in this country. I bought a Wilkinson 19ft Corrib and the same engine for about £2,800 all in and with a bit of care and attention, both should for as long as I'll be able to use them unless I'm stupid or unlucky.

When you said you were taking a 10ft boat out onto Lough Derg, I was wondering..

Most fishing boats on the lake are 17 feet or more. Some of the new Aluminium fishing boats are shorter, but they are far more expensive.

There are a few fishing clubs in the area, If you pop into TJ's Angling store in Ballina, I am sure whoever is there can point you in the right direction. There is a slipway in the park in Ballina also.

If you are planning to have the boat in a number of lakes you will have to consider how you clean it, as there are issues with some mussels attaching themselves to boats and being transported to other lakes.

Best of luck and take care, the lake can be amazing, but can also be deadly if you don't know what you are doing. If in doubt, follow the buoys, especially up near Scarriff bay.

"What is drifting? I contacted the seller of this boat to see if theres a trailer with it and he informed me that its light enough to put on a roof rack. HEs told me that this boat is light yet very strong. As for you cant see why anyone would pay 2000 for it, i think its the quality of workmanship that youd be paying for and the look of the boat. You know what the irish are like these days, well in the boom times anyway, everyone wanted to out do each other with cars,houses designer clothes etc.. boats are no different IMO."

Drifting is the most widely practiced approach to fly fishing on loughs in this country and Scotland too. 10/11ft fly rod, 6/7# reel and a long leader at the end of your fly line with 2/3/4 flies attached.
    Most loughs have recognised drifts, generally over shallows, which have traditionally produced fish and are well established. The way to fish the drift is to line the boat up at the start at right angles to the wind so that the action of the wave and the wind pushes you down the stretch you want to fish....engine is off and you adjust with an oar. You cast in front of the boat and pull the flies back towards you (wets) or keep pace with them (dry).
    Many drifts run parallel to islands or in places where rocks are just under the surface so it takes a bit of skill, picked up over time, to find a way through and keep your flies in the water at the same time. The more wind, the bigger the wave and the faster you move down the drift. Naturally enough, that magnifies the potential for grief and at that point, it's wisest to have someone on the oars and one fishing. If you're on your own, know your limits.

On most loughs, you can hire someone to do the heavy lifting and put you on the drifts which are likely to deliver. On Currane in Kerry, ghillies know specific rocks and areas where they can be certain that big sea trout and salmon lie so they will hold you on a mark for hours while you whack out a double handed salmon rod. It's repetitive and it ain't drifting but it gets fish.

Drifting means you can cover a lot of water in a day and on loughs like corrib, sheelin, currane or dozens more, you can be certain your flies are covering fish. You could fish good pools in a river for a week and nothing might come through.

It takes a bit of getting used to and it can be a bit overwhelming for the first few tries but it's worth persisting....nothing nicer than a fine day on Currane with a good wave and broken cloud or best of all, grey and mild with a good south west wind.

Agree it's a fine boat. There's still a strong tradition of small boat building alive and I'd never criticise someone who can make something like it. You're right about the market for luxuries though and it is a luxury. If someone wants a lake boat to fish from, that's not it - which is why i can't see any reason to fork out two grand for it. I'd say it goes like a rocket under oars but it would bob like a cork on a big wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Marsh85R

After using fiberglass and alloy boats, I came to know alloy plate boats are the best for fishing and hunting too. They are much durable and performance oriented that can sustain well in hard sea water.

Advertisement