Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Locking bike in city

• 26-02-2013 4:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

Well, what do most of you use if parking in the city for an hour or 2?

Chain and disc lock or just disc lock?

Also- has anyone ever got a ticket for parking on a footpath/non allocated parking area or a pay and display space?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I tend to avoid the city if possible, but the few times I've gone in, I've used a disc lock and a chain round a lamp-post.

Never got a ticket either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Well, what do most of you use if parking in the city for an hour or 2?

Chain and disc lock or just disc lock?

Also- has anyone ever got a ticket for parking on a footpath/non allocated parking area or a pay and display space?

Depends on how much you value your bike on how many locks you use.

It's illegal in Dublin to park a bike in a Pay and Display bay. Just lock it to a pole on a wide footpath making sure it's not blocking anything. Theres a bike bay beside the GPO and the Arnotts car park, there are a lot of armed Gardaí here also. Otherwise outside Store Street cop shop or wherever you see other bikes parked.

Just make sure you don't block a footpath or entrance/fire exit and generally your fine. Don't park down alleyways, quite area for thieves to work, or places with loads of people hanging around, numpties climb onto it or knock it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

chain it to something. bike with a disc locked can be chucked in the back of a van. it happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Depends on the bike. If it's a highly nickable bike, then as many locks as possible. If something less so, and has an immobiliser then you'll fair a little better.

When I had my KTM for only 3 months, it was attempted to be stolen, broke the steering lock, but the alarm + immobiliser stopped them in their tracks. Got a disc lock with a cable to lock it to a lamp post, no problems afterwards.

I have had my bmw 5 years, I've never had it attempted to be stolen in town, I just use the steering lock and the factory alarm and immobiliser.

Both cases the bikes were parked in the same public spot for over 7 hours per day, 5 days a week for the last 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Del2005 wrote: »
    Theres a bike bay beside the GPO and the Arnotts car park, there are a lot of armed Gardaí here also. Otherwise outside Store Street cop shop or wherever you see other bikes parked.

Armed Gardaí?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭gipi

Del2005 wrote: »
    Depends on how much you value your bike on how many locks you use.

It's illegal in Dublin to park a bike in a Pay and Display bay. Just lock it to a pole on a wide footpath making sure it's not blocking anything. Theres a bike bay beside the GPO and the Arnotts car park, there are a lot of armed Gardaí here also. Otherwise outside Store Street cop shop or wherever you see other bikes parked.

Just make sure you don't block a footpath or entrance/fire exit and generally your fine. Don't park down alleyways, quite area for thieves to work, or places with loads of people hanging around, numpties climb onto it or knock it over.

There's no parking outside Store St garda station since they paved it over. Outside Pearse St station is where the bikers park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 czech

Never had a problem parking in Dublin City
    but a good lock is a must beside the GPO as suggested before
    is a good place:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

As a bogger any safe places as such to park south side near Stephens green.?

Parked near the GPO recently and little runts were meddling with my bike.....all hassle tbh parking there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Parked near the GPO recently and little runts were meddling with my bike.....all hassle tbh parking there.

I've had two bikes stripped of various bits & bobs at the GPO (Prince's Street).. On one bike it was hit twice so thats one place I avoid.

I try my very best not to leave a bike anywhere in Dublin city center for any length of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Depends on how attractive your bike is to thieves. Any nice sportsbike, supermoto or scrambler will be a big target. Especially the latter 2.
    If you park in the same place all the time, anything expensive could be a target. I park my 7 year old beemer around town a bit and never have any problems, just use a disc lock. If I was leaving it for the day I'd chain it to something.

I always park at princes street, worried now! It's a good location, that little ally is handy for getting to Abbey Street.
    Handy parking there when you're picking up cheap underwear in pennys :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Cienciano wrote: »
    Depends on how attractive your bike is to thieves. Any nice sportsbike, supermoto or scrambler will be a big target. Especially the latter 2.
    If you park in the same place all the time, anything expensive could be a target. I park my 7 year old beemer around town a bit and never have any problems, just use a disc lock. If I was leaving it for the day I'd chain it to something.

I always park at princes street, worried now! It's a good location, that little ally is handy for getting to Abbey Street.
    Handy parking there when you're picking up cheap underwear in pennys :cool:

Now I'm wondering if I've seen you too (on Aston Quay).. A BMW, and ''pennys underwear'' makes you sound girlie :p

Next time you see my bike look over to your left and give a nod!.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

I park beside gpo on my T5 vespa most days. its had bits Robbed off it and the horn cover smashed. but its closest to work so it has to be done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

How long are you parking the bike there for? Any time I need to nip into town I park at the top of Graton Street. Only ever leave it there for an hour or so and never had any hassle/tickets. Always a few bikes there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Jesus I'm not parking on Princes street anymore. I used to park there the odd time when buying my underwear in Pennys too.

Another place I park is outside Arnotts on Liffey street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

When I do go into the city I park opposite the Metro Cafe on Chatham Row, there's usually a couple of bikes there and plenty of people around. No cameras on the street though for some reason but i'd never let it out of my sight.

Another great place is outside Bruxelles on Harry Street. Ideally anywhere with a couple of other bikes and a bit of foot fall but not too out of the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

gipi wrote: »
    There's no parking outside Store St garda station since they paved it over. Outside Pearse St station is where the bikers park.

Yeah that's the one I meant. Keep getting my cop shops mixed up:o
    Faith+1 wrote: »
    Armed Gardaí?:confused:

It's the GPO, a lot of money comes and goes from there everyday. An Post don't use armoured cars, they just load their vans with money and an undercover car follows it.

Don't park in town often so didn't it wasn't that safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

I park my Vespa PX200 outside Bruxelles on Harry Street if I'm southside or else at Peats at the back of the Ilac center if I'm on the northside. I always use a chain through the front wheel and tie the bike to a bollard or something solid. If I'm in Dun Laoghaire for a few minutes I usuallly just put on the steering lock only...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Another place I park is outside Arnotts on Liffey street.[/QUOTE]
    That's a spot that I use a bit too. Very handy if you're heading into arnotts or that part of town. Really central for shopping. Pretty much there or princes street is all I use regularly on the north side. Arnotts or Pennys for me, either splashing out or saving money :D

On the south side I use South Anne Street, Duke street, top of grafton street, in front of the tourist office on Andrew street, the back end of the Stephens Green Centre on King Street South.
    Now I'm wondering if I've seen you too (on Aston Quay).. A BMW, and ''pennys underwear'' makes you sound girlie :p

Next time you see my bike look over to your left and give a nod!.
    Its my commute home at the moment, but a lot of bikes must go past there every day, it's fairly busy. I'll keep an eye out for the yellow beemer and a bouncer when I'm heading past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I once left my key in the bike in the middle of town for an hour. Luckily it was Sligo town!

Advertisement