Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 yr old tantrums

Options
  • 26-02-2013 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have a 12 month old who for the last month is getting fully into the ways of strops and tantrums.. I thought I had another yr before she started this!!! I'm trying to be sensible & keep a level calm head about it but I'm just over 30 weeks pregnant again and finding it hard to deal with! She wants to be in my arms all the time and screams and cries when she can't be, this is happening for most if her awake time - she spends maybe 20% of the rest of it content and lovely and happy to be playing & exploring! It's not boredom I don't think altho that could be an element as she's minded at home - but we try to entertain her a reasonable amt and being her places about 3 times a week like the panda cafe etc for interaction with other kids. She could be teething but I don't think that's the cause. She's eating reasonably well and is still on 3 bottles s day but that's a different battle!!

I like to think I'm not mollycoddling her in that when she kicks off I ignore her and if possible even leave the room (when I know she's safe) and so generally don't indulge her. I thought this approach would discourage her but it doesn't seem to be working. I've tried distraction etc but ultimately she's still trying to getaway with it! I don't want her to be so needy and clingy and I feel she knows and is learning the art of manipulation and getting her own way. She's so lovely and amazing at other times I just want her to be happy! I love playing with her and being with her , I just don't want her to be demanding up into my arms every second of every day - soon they'll be holding another baba and I really want that to he as easy as possible for her. I know she's still very young and don't get me wrong - we have loads if cuddle & hug time - it's just the tantrums and rage that I just have to stop!

Any tips for me?

By the way I really don't think she knows there's a baby on. The way so don't think that's a stimulus.. We don't plan on bringing that up until a couple weeks before as its too much for her and she really can't understand as she's still a baby herself!

P.s sorry for all typos etc as writing this off my phone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

DL I've no tips as such but it all sounds normal enough. It definitely sounds familiar! There's probably a lot going on for her and she's learning new skills, a language and most probably teething.

There's also a developmental leap from 50-54 weeks but that's a guide and not a specific timeframe so she could be going through that too.

It's tough going especially when you're heavily pregnant. I think the hardest part at that age is they can't play with a jigsaw or sit and look at a book. You need to be a part of their entertainment. Maybe try getting some new little toys that make noises or play tunes or some tactile ones. Also try a cd of nursery rhymes. My son loves listening to them at home and in the car.

I know my fella was never good and still isn't good at playing by himself. Thankfully he's very happy to play with blocks or do jigsaws if we do them too or to read books (we do the reading obviously!).

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

DL once again our daughters seem to be doing the same thing to us at the same time! I'm exhausted from it and cannot imagine what I'd be like if I was 30 weeks pregnant on top of it!
    My 14 month old is teething but seems to be over the worst of it but the clinginess has remained. She screams if I'm anywhere near her but don't have her in my arms. She was such an independent little thing, but that has changed recently.
    Like you I'm just trying to ignore the tantrums and reward her good behaviour. I don't know what else to do.

We've just had a battle of wills over her tea.....after an hour she gave in.

Advertisement