Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat entry on 2.2

Options
  • 26-02-2013 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm a Civil Engineering graduate with a 2.2 honours degree from the university of Edinburgh and an ordinary degree with Distinction (>70) from and irish IT also in civil engineering. I'm 24 at the moment and considering Gamsat for next year as medicine is something I would love to do.

Obviously I know that a 2.2 Degree is not great, bought I had serious personal issues that effected the degree with the death of a close friend during it which sent me into a bad place for a bit.

Is there any way at all I can qualify for entry to an Irish university for graduate entry to medicine? I'm in a good place now and would love the opportunity to study this and have no doubt in my mind that I am academically capable of it. However I worry that I've ruined any opportunities through my 2.2 degree.
    Would my high ordinary degree result show my academic quality or is it a no hope situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

To qualify for Irish courses you have to have a 2:1, so you wouldn't be eligible unfortunately. There are some places in the UK that will take a 2:2 in your first degree, but the GAMSAT or UKCAT requirements will be a good bit higher. There is a list of courses and their requirements online somewhere but I can't find it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

To qualify for Irish courses you have to have a 2:1, so you wouldn't be eligible unfortunately. There are some places in the UK that will take a 2:2 in your first degree, but the GAMSAT or UKCAT requirements will be a good bit higher. There is a list of courses and their requirements online somewhere but I can't find it at the moment.

Yeah that's what I thought, I don't know if the UK would be an option financially, unfortunately.
    How does mature student entry work?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

I'm not sure how that works but as far as I know they look at your leaving cert, hpat result, an interview and work experience. I have heard second hand that there is considerably more weight placed into the interview and work experience than the leaving and hpat, but they are still important.

Again, I've heard this second hand so I would take it with a pinch of salt. Hopefully someone on here will know a bit more than me.

Advertisement