Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wheelchair accessible POS is shop

Options
  • 26-02-2013 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy all

was in a big department store, queueing to pay, the guy ahead of me wanted to pay by card, no problem there you might think. This guy was using wheelchair and the card chip reader yoke was fixed on a cradle on the counter. There was no way in hell this lad was gonna reach it to put in his pin, the girl at the counter was mortified. Eventually the guy went to an atm to get cash but the whole thing was ridiculous.
    Is there no legislation obliging retailers to have at least one accessable point-of-sale? Would be interested to know!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭SunDog

Not to sure about the answer here but in general I've had to near scale the counter just to cover my pin. It's the same at most ATM's. One model(Average person) seems the standard that engineers use when designing the world around us. I'm fortunate enough to have the ability to laugh at it's idiocy like this and most of the time be able to work around it.

Edit:Granted this may result in a few bumps and lumps

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Most of the time, the shop assistant would be able to pass the device down to my level, ie; take it off the cradle, and hand it to me, so I can shield it while I enter my PIN.

ATM's though, are a different kettle of fish.

The world is not designed for wheelchair users, or anyone else with a disability for that matter.

Advertisement