Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oak Fireplace

Options
  • 26-02-2013 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I have an Oak Fireplace in my sitting room, best way to describe is it is basically straight up (some angles on it) at both sides and then a simple horizontal mantlepiece. It is a lovely simple piece

Between it and fire then is black marble.

It is only in the house approximately 6 or 7 years but I have noticed down low particulary it has become somewhat dusty or dirty in places.

Is there any product I could use to help clean the fireplace or else to give it all a good clean. I want to be careful what I put on it to clean thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

What do you want to clean - the oak or the marble ?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Sparky100

recipio I want to clean the Oak, but not sure what products to use on it as I don't want to do anything that would damage the timber, Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Sparky100 wrote: »
    recipio I want to clean the Oak, but not sure what products to use on it as I don't want to do anything that would damage the timber, Thanks

There are literally dozens of agents recommended to get grime off hardwoods like oak.
    You can't go wrong with a little white spirit and 00 wire wool - clean off the grunge with paper towel. After that there are 'furniture restorer' or 'furniture reviver' products available in the chain stores which add oil to the wood and enrich it, or you could simply wax it with a good furniture wax.

Advertisement