Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good quality Fish Finger or Finger like Fillet?

Options
  • 26-02-2013 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering if anyone can recommend the above,ideally with a reasonable nutritional value,with reasonable quality fish?.

Gave up red meat a while back and struggling.

Alternatively any ideas on how to create my own fillet?

Danke

F:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I have often made chicken goujons or fish fingers with homemade breadcrumbs.
    I dip the fish/ chicken in flour, then egg, then a mixture of breadcrumbs, seasoning and any herbs that I fancy. Sometimes I use any brown/ herb bread I have left over as it adds a whole new flavour. I remember once putting a bit of taco seasoning in the breadcrumbs and it was gorgeous. If you shallow fry them for a couple of mins to make the outside crispy, then whack it in a pre- heated oven for 15- 20 mins. Alternatively, if you have a George Foreman grill, you could avoid the frying altogether. Depending on the size of the cuts of fish, they could be cooked in around 5 mins. I prefer using any white fish for this, but salmon could work too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

That sounds great Em, will definitely try that soon,may get a white fish at the market saturday and give it a go. Any ideas for herbs I could add or a good 'mixed herb' product I could buy?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

OP I would second what ElleEm said. It's relatively easy to make your own fish fingers/goujons and they will be so much nicer. Any firm meaty fish will do - cod, haddock, hake etc

In terms of herbs there's really no right or wrong answer to that one. Dill and parsley obviously go with fish but I like a bit of oregano myself, it's very much a matter of personal taste. The joy of making your own breadcrumbs is you can add absolutely any seasoning you want. Great way to use up stale bread aswell (personally I will throw leftover crusty bread in the freezer and use it later for making breadcrumbs and croutons).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Dill and parsley are great in breadcrumbs, and you could grate in a little lemon zest.
    I like spring onions with fish so I often chop up a bit of that finely in breadcrumbs.
    Fishcakes/ burgers can be made with similar flavours. With the fishcakes I would add some mashed potatoes, chilli, lemon juice and spring onion then coat it in breadcrumbs. Gorgeous with salmon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I get smoked coley in Kish Fish in Smithfield all the time and it's great for this (battering and frying) as it is nice and firm/chunky and doesn't break up. Not expensive either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

This is birds eyes ones
    Cod Fillet (58%),Breadcrumb ,Batter ,Vegetable Oil ,Breadcrumb: Wheat Flour, Water, Paprika, Salt, Yeast, Turmeric ,Batter: Water, Wheat Flour, Potato Starch, Salt

Youngs
    Alaska Pollock Fillet (58%),Coating (Wheat Flour, Water, Potato Starch, Wheat Starch, Salt, Yeast, Turmeric, Colours: Paprika Extract, Curcumin) ,Sunflower Oil

note paprika & turmeric, this must be the colour in the crumb.

It would be a lot harder to try and make finger shapes of course, so I would stick with burgers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Bateman wrote: »
    I get smoked coley in Kish Fish in Smithfield all the time and it's great for this (battering and frying) as it is nice and firm/chunky and doesn't break up. Not expensive either.

Smoked Coley can have quite a strong smokey flavour though and wouldn't be to everyone's taste.

rubadub wrote: »
    It would be a lot harder to try and make finger shapes of course, so I would stick with burgers

Goujons are easier than making fish burgers, which would require you to mince the fish or at least chop it up very fine.

Advertisement