Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curernt account fees

Options
  • 26-02-2013 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

We have met with the criteria that meant that there would be no fees on our account but the the Bank of Ireland changed the criteria without letting us know.
    That is we had the correct deposits and withdrawals and payments going out to ensure that we would have no fees. Now we are being charged €80 for these fees that were supposed to be free and don't bother to say ring the bank etc., I am here to let people know that they will get no satisfaction from them.

We bailed out the banks and now they are turning back to us and getting more money with underhanded actions like this.
    I am going to close my account and not  pay this fee. It is wrong as I have got no notice of this and am very unhappy with it.
    I hope that more people follow and close their accounts and go to where there is no fees, the only one that I know is Ulster Bank, 
    I hope the Bank Of Ireland are happy with themselves causing pain for people, but, then again they don't really care, we can bail them out again sometime......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi hughowen,

We understand your frustrations and your feedback on how the change was communicated to customers has been forwarded to the relevant department.

We had notified customers of the change through a number of channels. The social media channels; boards.ie, twitter and Facebook. We also placed a notice through two national newspapers, on the Bank of Ireland group website and on the statements issued to customers since the 19th of November 2012.

If you would like to pm us with your account holding branch and your contact number, we can forward your upset at the charges and they can discuss them with you further.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭hughowen

Hi hughowen,

We understand your frustrations and your feedback on how the change was communicated to customers has been forwarded to the relevant department.

We had notified customers of the change through a number of channels. The social media channels; boards.ie, twitter and Facebook. We also placed a notice through two national newspapers, on the Bank of Ireland group website and on the statements issued to customers since the 19th of November 2012.

If you would like to pm us with your account holding branch and your contact number, we can forward your upset at the charges and they can discuss them with you further.

Thanks
    Linda
    You notified through the wrong channels if that is the case. 
    Who checks up Facebook or Twitter or Boards to see if they are going to have to pay Bank charges, as for the papers, The Independant or something else that I for one don't read or can afford to buy even nowadays is not the way to treat loyal customers for years.

A simple letter to me would be enough to ensure that I would not be using my card as much as I did thus keeping the cost down would suffice, but the underhandedness of this matter is what I am most frustrated about. 
    I will be seeking advice on this matter and not paying this charge and hope that others will follow and refuse to pay unless they get proper notification. 
    I did ring the bank and the attitude was that they followed procedure and it has to be paid and there will be no refunds.
    So no need for you to have my details as I will no longer be a customer and to be told again by someone else that it has to be paid will get me nowhere

Owen

Hi hughowen,

Thanks
    Linda
    Who checks up Facebook or Twitter or Boards to see if they are going to have to pay Bank charges, as for the papers, The Independant or something else that I for one don't read or can afford to buy even nowadays is not the way to treat loyal customers for years.

A simple letter to me would be enough to ensure that I would not be using my card as much as I did thus keeping the cost down would suffice, but the underhandedness of this matter is what I am most frustrated about. 
    I will be seeking advice on this matter and not paying this charge and hope that others will follow and refuse to pay unless they get proper notification. 
    I did ring the bank and the attitude was that they followed procedure and it has to be paid and there will be no refunds.
    So no need for you to have my details as I will no longer be a customer and to be told again by someone else that it has to be paid will get me nowhere

Owen

Hi hughowen,

Thanks
    Linda

Owen

I have just looked at the Bank of Ireland webpage and can see nothing about the change in charges and the way they are charged. I could probably go deep into the pages to find something but again who does that?

I didn't go to the website to check this on any occasion nor would I ever think about doing it on the off chance that you would change terms of conditions, the charges are wrong and I want them credited to my account.
    When I opened the account I was told what I had to do and the least the bank could have done was to contact me to tell me they have changed.
    But I suppose the bank will now get the Sheriff after me and then the debt collectors and it's win win again for the bank....

It's great to be Irish

• Advertisement

Hi hughowen,

When you are on Bank of Irelands website, if you select current accounts and the notice is placed under the press notice section. You can also see the current fees and charges brochure here which also can be located under the current account tab on the website. We do also put this information on the back of paper statements and eStatements that are issued to customers.

Thank you again and if there is anything else we can assist you with, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks
    Linda

Hi hughowen,

When you are on Bank of Irelands website, if you select current accounts and the notice is placed under the press notice section. You can also see the current fees and charges brochure here which also can be located under the current account tab on the website. We do also put this information on the back of paper statements and eStatements that are issued to customers.

Thank you again and if there is anything else we can assist you with, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks
    Linda
    I don't mean it to sound like I am getting at you Linda, it's not personal, but  I will be leaving the bank and taking this matter further and hope that more people complain and move their accounts

But thanks for your prompt replies anyway.
    Owen

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

hughowen wrote: »
    I don't mean it to sound like I am getting at you Linda, it's not personal, but  I will be leaving the bank and taking this matter further and hope that more people complain and move their accounts

But thanks for your prompt replies anyway.
    Owen
    I got my account fees bill this morning since these changes were brought in.  Was shocked to see I was charged €58 for using my ATM card (withdrawls and laser/debit transactions).  Ulster Bank are the only bank that don't have these charges at the minute, but apparently they will be bringing them in soon.  I'm looking at the Credit Union at the moment as they offer ATM services and the ability to pay bills.

DerryRed wrote: »
    I got my account fees bill this morning since these changes were brought in.  Was shocked to see I was charged €58 for using my ATM card (withdrawls and laser/debit transactions).  Ulster Bank are the only bank that don't have these charges at the minute, but apparently they will be bringing them in soon.  I'm looking at the Credit Union at the moment as they offer ATM services and the ability to pay bills.
    But at least if we knew there were charges we could have cut out the non-essential debit card transactions thus cutting the charges way down

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

hughowen wrote: »
    But at least if we knew there were charges we could have cut out the non-essential debit card transactions thus cutting the charges way down

don't count on Ulster Bank being above board either.  I'm sure they will slip it in under the radar too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭vanman99

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"To qualify for free banking, account holders will have to deposit €3,000 per quarter and make at least nine payments by phone or over the internet, or keep a minimum of €3,000 in their account" - this is what I thought I have been keeping to meticulously over the past few months, I received 3 bills today for 3 accounts, over €100, I can't afford that. Needless to say I am angry, can someone from bank of Ireland please let me know when this changed and when you told me. I do believe I have to be notified  of charges before you charge me, it is not acceptable to simply say we notified through social media or newspapers. I don't exactly follow my bank or add them as friend.[/font]
    This is an extract from the central bank code of conduct, can you please advise how you have not breached this regulation-

6.18 A regulated entity must:
    a) notify affected consumers of increases in charges, specifying the old and
    new charge, or the introduction of any new charges, at least 30 days
    prior to the change taking effect; and
    b) where charges are accumulated and applied periodically to accounts,
    notify consumers at least 10 business days prior to deduction of charges and give each consumer a breakdown of such charges, except where charges total an amount of €10 or less.

Hi vanman99,

Regarding the letters customers have been receiving, these are the customer’s fee notifications which are advising customers of the fees due to be debited on the 22nd of March 2013.

Thank you.

Linda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

BOI, i think it should be apparant by now that the methods of informing customers of changes to charges were not effective. A letter to each customer would have been the most appropriate and decent option. If I had been aware of the impending charges I would certainly have reassessed my handling of transactions to minimise the cost.

I am gobsmacked that a high profile organisation, with no doubt a large customer service department, would not have been aware that an individual letter for each customer would be warranted in this scenario given that it probably affects the majority of  current account holders. Very underhand tactics. Very disapponiting, once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭vanman99

Hi vanman99,

Regarding the letters customers have been receiving, these are the customer’s fee notifications which are advising customers of the fees due to be debited on the 22nd of March 2013.

Thank you.

Linda
    That's correct Linda, but when did you inform me that my actions from last quarter where chargeable? Do you think i would be popping to the atm every day if i was being charged -

The central bank's code of conduct states - Under chapter 6 - 

6.18 A regulated entity must:

a) notify affected consumers of increases in charges, specifying the old and
    new charge, or the introduction of any new charges, at least 30 days
    prior to the change taking effect; and
    When was i notified of the old and new charge, or of the introduction of a new charge?

Needless to say, another customer lost.

Hi vanman22,

The transaction charges were always in place and you would have selected your fee category when the account was open. The No Transaction Fee Offer is still in place but only the qualifying criteria has changed.

We would be sorry to lose you as a customer but if you would like to discuss this further, please pm us your branch and contact number.

Thank you
    Linda

Advertisement