Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Account Fees

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Bank of Ireland are total scumbags the way they've handled this - they probably know it and more probably don;t give a toss

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭molard

Bank of Ireland are total scumbags the way they've handled this - they probably know it and more probably don;t give a toss
    surely all customers should have received a letter about these fees.is it not a legal requirment to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bribren2001

What is the logic or justification in transaction fees for people with less than €3000 in there account?

Why not have it for people with more than say €50000 in there account. 

A absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

What is the logic or justification in transaction fees for people with less than €3000 in there account?

Why not have it for people with more than say €50000 in there account. 

A absolute disgrace.

It isn't rocket science. Accounts cost money to operate. If there is a larger sum in the account then the notional interest, even at a time of low interest rates, covers the cost of operating the account. 

That is not saying that the fee structure is ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

Tara this is very misleading information here , to have a balance of 3000 euro would mean you would have to have at least 4000 euro and more allowing for payments and direct debits ,
    So i really hope Bank of Ireland learn to remember that they should at least try to hang on to there customers instead of running them out of the bank ,

Ps : for the record i was with the Bank of Ireland for 30 years not as much as Good bye, and thanks for your Business, and before you say it NO i dont want a phone call now, the Damage is Done ....
    Hi Philipblue12,

Thanks for posting.

The previous criteria for our No Transaction Fees offer was to;

a) Have €3000 being paid through your account and to make 9 debit payments from your account using 365 phone or online banking within the fee quarter. This option is no longer available.
    b) Maintain a credit balance of €3000 throughout the fee quarter which is now the only criteria for this offer.

The option of making 3 debit payments on 365 hasn't been in place for a number of years.

If you have maintained the €3000 credit balance on your account throughout the full fee quarter you should not be charged current account fees and we would suggest contacting your branch to have this looked into. Contact details for your branch can be found here.

We had notified customers of the change through a number of channels. The social media channels; boards.ie, twitter and Facebook. We also placed a notice through two national newspapers, on the Bank of Ireland group website and through a message on all personal current account statements issued to customers since the 19th of November 2012.

We will pass on all feedback received here to our Consumer Banking Team.

Thanks,
    Tara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 brownemar

I have received notification of €46 bank charges today. I was completely unaware that the criteria had changed. I'm so disgusted that as a customer I received no notification of this and wasn't given the option of the flat fee.  I will certainly be closing my account after 30 years. Outrageous that they can operate in this manner. €46 per quarter is the equivalent of nearly €200 over the year and we give out about the property tax??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

Not even a Reply Typical

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Yep. Ring Tsb I was talking to very helpful guy yesterday. Once 3k goes through your account whether it be wages or lodgements and you make 18 laser/visa transactions you qualify for free banking. No brainer, your being fleeced by boi make the switch

I'm moving too. Credit card and current account. Ulster says yes!

BoI customer since my first day in Trinity College 21 years ago. Great staff but won't be fleeced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your comments and feedback, as always it is all passed on to our Consumer Banking Team.

Hi Faolteam,

Apologies if you were expecting a response from us however, you had not asked us any direct questions and had specified that you did not want a phone call. There was also nothing further to add to our previous comments.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Ivan.Drago

I personally received a letter informing me that my account was moving to the transaction fee structure and I have proceeded to limit my transactions since then. My brother on the other hand got no letter in this regard and received a bill for transaction fees in the interim. Why am I informed by letter, but not him? He was under the impression that he was still on free banking given that he received no personal notification. In order to be legally compliant, should you not be informing your customers DIRECTLY (ie. personally addressed letter), that they will be incurring fees?

Thank you

Steve

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi Steve,

Thanks for posting.

We do not have access to account details at this department. We will pass your feedback regarding informing customers via letter to our Consumer Banking Team.

If you call your branch, they can advise why you received the letter.

A full list of branch contact numbers can be found here

We are legally compliant in terms of how we advised customers about the changes to the criteria for the Free Transaction Offer. We done this through:
    • A press notice in the Current Accounts section of our website.
    • Adverts in two national newspapers on 19/09/2012.
    • In branch signage.
    • On all Personal Current Account statements since November.
    • Through our social media channels, boards.ie, Facebook and Twitter.
    We will pass your feedback regarding informing customers via letter, to our Consumer Banking Team.

Thanks

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭daheff

Hi Tails142,

Thanks for posting.

At account opening the two fee options would be explained to the customer and they would select which one they feel would most suit their account usage. Account usage can vary from customer to customer and quarter to quarter and as we cannot predict the level of usage a customer may have in an upcoming quarter we cannot select a fee category for them.

Thanks
    Tara
    Just on this Tara, Leap cards are now smart enough to work out what is more cost effective for travelling public over a 7 day period...surely a similar system could be used by BOI? Or even if BOI charged the first X number of transactions at 10c each and after the fee hit a predefined level (within the quarter) the charge increased (because lets face it, the charges are designed so that the BANK is the beneficiary of more transactions, not the customer)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi daheff,

Thanks for your input. I'll be forwarding on your feedback to our Consumer Banking team for consideration when making any future changes to the pricing structure.

Thanks
    Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Philipblue12

I rang my branch (o'connell str) twice around two weeks ago and specifically requested a phone call. Still haven't heard a word? Not much customer service if you ask me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭joetoad

Another customer lost, my wife, a lot of friends have allready moved. No letter anything about it

Hi Phillipblue12,

Apologies if you didn't receive the call-back that you were expecting. If you would like to send us a PM with your name, contact number, the name of your branch and the details of your query and we can forward them on to your branch.  

If there's anything else we can help you with, please let us know.

Thanks
    Pat

Hi joetoad,

We're sorry to hear we'll be losing your wife's business. If your wife would like to contact her branch they'd be happy to discuss the matter. If there's anything we can do for you here, please let us know.

Thanks
    Pat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭joetoad

Hi joetoad,

We're sorry to hear we'll be losing your wife's business. If your wife would like to contact her branch they'd be happy to discuss the matter. If there's anything we can do for you here, please let us know.

Thanks
    Pat
    Nope nothing, until the bank of Ireland cop on to themselves, absolutely ridiculous behavior.

Advertisement