Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seagrave Estate, Meakstown, Finglas, Dublin 11

Options
  • 26-02-2013 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

Could anyone tell me what the area is like up around Seagrave Estate, Finglas on Dublins Northside. Anyone living there at the moment or have lived there? Is there ever any trouble there, or what are the neighbours like?

Any info would be great help... :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

There can be anti social goings on in Meakstown, Hampton Wood and Lanesborough which are all nearby, these were all new builds pre 2008 crash and Dublin City Council have been moving Jeremy Kyleheads in, so I'd be a bit careful. It's also a bit of a strange and soulless area up that way, lived up there for three years and there was no real friendly or sociable vibe there. Stay well clear of The Deputy Mayor pub as well, nearest decent, kosher pubs are in Glasnevin.

Neighbours.ie is a handy website to check

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Don't go on advice here either Saffy12, as gospel. I have friends & family who live in the Cityside Estate, Melville & Seagrave with no complaints about the community. Obviously, some people have both negative & positive views on certain area's of the city.

There have been some incidents of anti social behaviour that have made the news but what part of Dublin is not in the news these days. The build of the houses is fine, no pyrite, etc & the houses are timber frame. Not sure about whether estates have been handed over to Fingal County Co for management.

The shopping centre is very hany, Dunne Stores is great with a few other small shops, it's no Blanch or Liffey Valley but with an Odeon Cinema due to open next door to the Shopping Centre at the end of the year, its an added advantage.

Best of Luck, whatever you decide :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 saffy12

Thanks guys, I do live in the area and have all my life but I'm just not sure about the newer housing estates. Have friends in the surrounding housing estates also just didn't know if this was the same..
    Thanks for your help 😊

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

dd972 wrote: »
    There can be anti social goings on in Meakstown, Hampton Wood and Lanesborough which are all nearby, these were all new builds pre 2008 crash and Dublin City Council have been moving Jeremy Kyleheads in, so I'd be a bit careful. It's also a bit of a strange and soulless area up that way, lived up there for three years and there was no real friendly or sociable vibe there. Stay well clear of The Deputy Mayor pub as well, nearest decent, kosher pubs are in Glasnevin.

Neighbours.ie is a handy website to check

My brother lives in the estate. New builds and timber frame so fairly decent. They were built by LM Developments before they were in trouble so no short cuts where made to my recollection.

Don't know what the poster above means about Jeremy Kyle heads by DCC as it is a fingal county council area so DCC have no control over it.

There's a Eurostar with a 5 min walk. Charlestown, lidl And aldi all within a 2 min drive and also ikea. The bus service IMHO is second to none. The 140 travels every 10 mins or so. And there is a stop right outside the little gap on Seagrave rise.

There's also a playground within the estate and anther park areA at the back which one complete outer lap is 1km if your into running/jogging ;)

Any specific questions, just ask.
    Like any other estate, I'm sure it has its ups and downs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lilyrose22

I lived in Melville for a year.. It's just opposite Charlestown shopping center.. Never encountered anything bad or anti social it was grand and quiet actually. It was handy for me as it was close enough to work but was annoying on nights out and all as its a bit if a trek from town!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I've lived in Melville for 3 years now. It's grand overall. There are a few anti-social elements in the area but no worse or better than other areas of Dublin IMO. There is one guy living on Melville Square who has been a lot of trouble for his neighbours- the site neighbours.ie has more details, I think he has 50+ convictions for all sorts of stuff. Glad I don't live near him. The cops are keeping a tight eye on him and come in to visit quite a lot.

Wouldn't agree with the 140 being that frequent. It is a prerry decent service (though was better before Network Direct). It comes about every 17 minutes during the day and 25 minutes at nigh time. 83 is also an option but takes slightly longer from town.

Having Charlestown SC on my doorstep is great, really handy to pop across and its got everything you could really want day to day. The Eurospar has some of the highest prices I've seen anywhere so I avoid it even though it is closer to me than Dunnes.

There are a lot of kids in the area ranging from 8-12yrs. In a few years time they'll be teenagers so it is possible the area could go down hill quick, depending what their parents are like.

Overall though I'd recommend it for a good connection to town, plenty of local shops, easy access to the M50and rents in the area are cheap as Dublin goes

RATM wrote: »
    I've lived in Melville for 3 years now. It's grand overall. There are a few anti-social elements in the area but no worse or better than other areas of Dublin IMO. There is one guy living on Melville Square who has been a lot of trouble for his neighbours- the site neighbours.ie has more details, I think he has 50+ convictions for all sorts of stuff. Glad I don't live near him. The cops are keeping a tight eye on him and come in to visit quite a lot

OP, bear in mind that RATM is talking about Cityside Phase 2 development, you are in Citygate which was phase 3 and is totally separate to phase 2, although only a few mins around the corner and constructed in the same style :)

Here is the Citygate forum - http://www.neighbours.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php/726-City-Gate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

kceire wrote: »
    Don't know what the poster above means about Jeremy Kyle heads by DCC as it is a fingal county council area so DCC have no control over it.

I presume the poster is talking about the DCC tenants who were moved to Hampton Wood & Meakstown temporarily while BRL were finishing their homes and needed them out of their flats as part of the regeneration in Ballymun. Most of those temporary residents have received letters in that their houses are ready and will begin moving them in the next few weeks.

Karen23 wrote: »
    I presume the poster is talking about the DCC tenants who were moved to Hampton Wood & Meakstown temporarily while BRL were finishing their homes and needed them out of their flats as part of the regeneration in Ballymun. Most of those temporary residents have received letters in that their houses are ready and will begin moving them in the next few weeks.

Hampton wood is Dublin City Council, which could explain it, but Meakstown and specifically Seagrave estate is Fingal County Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Triangular

It's a nice area to live. In my opinion, most of the houses (unless upgraded by owners/tenants) are very badly built. Draughts everywhere, paper thin walls and the ability to hear footsteps from next doors floorboards. On the plus side of having thin walls, we can share the internet between our house and the tenants next door!

The area is a ghost-town when it gets dark. There is nothing to do but go to the pub, chip shop or walk to Finglas, where again there is nothing really to do but go to the pub or a chip shop. The Deputy Mayor is a no go most nights. It will do for one or two pints but in the 5/6 years I've been here, I don't know anyone that goes. The Eurospar is, in my opinion, the most expensive Spar in Ireland. I work in retail and the markup he puts on a lot of his products is shocking. Having Dunnes on your doorstep is great though. And it's a great store in general. Even Ikea is walkable. The 140 is a good bus as once it gets to Charlestown shopping centre, you're on O'Connell street in 15 minutes on a good day.

There are a lot of good people in the area. There are a lot of children out playing during the day and on a whole, most seem decent. But with a serious lack of amenities for them to avail of as they progress into their teens, and really nothing to do but hang around, I don't predict a bright future for the area.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement