Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving 30 Days notice to cancel my Account

Options
  • 26-02-2013 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I plan to move from Eircom soon, but after reading several stories of people not giving notice and getting charged, I want to make sure I do it right. I've already checked that I'm not in Contract, so all I have to worry about is the 30 Days notice.

What I do want to check is that when I give my 30 Days notice, I assume Eircom will provide me with a service for those 30 days. In other words, my service won't be cancelled whenever they like during those 30 days? I'm paying for those days, so I'm right in thinking a service will be there?

Thanks...

Jason.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kranbo

jasonb wrote: »
    Hi there,

I plan to move from Eircom soon, but after reading several stories of people not giving notice and getting charged, I want to make sure I do it right. I've already checked that I'm not in Contract, so all I have to worry about is the 30 Days notice.

What I do want to check is that when I give my 30 Days notice, I assume Eircom will provide me with a service for those 30 days. In other words, my service won't be cancelled whenever they like during those 30 days? I'm paying for those days, so I'm right in thinking a service will be there?

Thanks...

Jason.transferring
    I am not in a contract with Eircom. I was on to sky earlier and they "assure" me that if I  transfer my a/c (not cancel) there will be no cancellation fee. I ring eircom and they tell me there is a 30 day cancellation period.

Can one of the reps clarify the situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi kranbo

There is indeed a 30 day cancellationperiod. I have sent you a PM in which I have included a more details on this.

Regards

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

Any chance you could answer my question please Alan? Thanks...

J.

Any chance you could answer my question please Alan? Thanks...

J.
    Hi jasonb

I'm very sorry for the delay.

Yes you will have service for the 30 days up until the date of your account being ceased.

Regards

Al

That's great, thanks a lot for confirming that Alan...

J.

• Advertisement

That's great, thanks a lot for confirming that Alan...

J.
    No problem jasonb,

Regards

Al

Hi there,

Just wanted to let you know that I've been having a lot of issues trying to cancel my account. I rang Eircom on Tuesday 5th March and was told I had to send in a letter. So I sent in a letter the following day, giving my 30 days notice. I rang again on Monday 11th to see when my 30 days would be up, and I was told there was no sign of the letter, and advised to ring again in a few days.

So I rang again on Thursday the 14th, and was once again told there was no sign of the letter, and to ring again in a few days. I was also told that if, when I rang again, there was still no sign of the letter, then I could just agree a Cancellation Date over the phone, one 30 days after the letter was sent.

So I rang again this morning. Guess what, same story. No sign of the letter, my 'file hadn't been updated' since Thursday 7th and there was nothing the guy on the phone could do. He couldn't agree a date for cancellation, he could say why the file hadn't been updated, and he couldn't confirm if the letter had been received or not, as it was possible it had been received but the file hadn't been updated. He also couldn't put me through to the people who should update the file.

It's stuff like this that caused me to want to leave Eircom in the first place. I told the guy on the phone today that I'm assuming the 30 days started on the day after I sent the letter (i.e. Thursday 7th) and that I'm only paying for services up until 7th April. After that I'm cancelling my Direct Debit.

I'd advise your staff to listen to the conversation that was recorded to use it as an example of how not to 'help' a customer.

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi there,

Just wanted to let you know that I've been having a lot of issues trying to cancel my account. I rang Eircom on Tuesday 5th March and was told I had to send in a letter. So I sent in a letter the following day, giving my 30 days notice. I rang again on Monday 11th to see when my 30 days would be up, and I was told there was no sign of the letter, and advised to ring again in a few days.

So I rang again on Thursday the 14th, and was once again told there was no sign of the letter, and to ring again in a few days. I was also told that if, when I rang again, there was still no sign of the letter, then I could just agree a Cancellation Date over the phone, one 30 days after the letter was sent.

So I rang again this morning. Guess what, same story. No sign of the letter, my 'file hadn't been updated' since Thursday 7th and there was nothing the guy on the phone could do. He couldn't agree a date for cancellation, he could say why the file hadn't been updated, and he couldn't confirm if the letter had been received or not, as it was possible it had been received but the file hadn't been updated. He also couldn't put me through to the people who should update the file.

It's stuff like this that caused me to want to leave Eircom in the first place. I told the guy on the phone today that I'm assuming the 30 days started on the day after I sent the letter (i.e. Thursday 7th) and that I'm only paying for services up until 7th April. After that I'm cancelling my Direct Debit.

I'd advise your staff to listen to the conversation that was recorded to use it as an example of how not to 'help' a customer.

J.

Hi jasonb,

Can you PM me with the name on the account and the eircom account number and I will follow up with a manager in cancellations directly.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,

PM sent, thanks...

Jason.

Hi Mark,

PM sent, thanks...

Jason.

Hi Jason,

Sorry about the wait. I PM you back there.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Hi Mark,

And I just replied to it. Thanks...

Jason.

Hi Mark,

And I just replied to it. Thanks...

Jason.

Hi Jason,

I got confirmation that your cancellation / notification letter was received on the 08/03/13. I sent you a PM with all the details.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement