Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simultaneous Equations Question

• 26-02-2013 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I've been trying to solve these simultaneous equations, but I just can't. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

x + y + z = 5

1/x + 1/y + 1/z = 1/5

xy + xz + yz = -9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Multiply both sides of the second equation by xyz, you'll get
    xyz/x + xyz/y + xyz/z = xyz/5
    Simplify:
    yz + xz + xy = xyz/5

From the 3rd equation, we now have -9 = xyz/5 or xyz = -45; that might be easier to work with than the sum of the reciprocals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Marko1011

But that just brings me around in circles, does it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,017 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Well, you have now xyz = -45 (as Yakuza worked out), and you also have x + y + z = 5 (the first equation). Just looking at those, without any working, I can see three integers that make both equations true*. That doesn't tell me which is x, y, or z, but looking at the equations, it doesn't look like that matters anyway! It's kind-of a trick question.

-3, 3, 5

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Well yes, I suppose you could solve it by inspection like that, but that method wouldn't work for more complicated equations. Is there a way to solve it algebraically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,017 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The form of those equations is what sent me looking for non-analytical solutions. They can't be expressed in the standard ways that you'd use for more analytical methods e.g. inverting a matrix.

Also, the left sides are "symmetrical" (I don't know the correct word, if there is one), in that x, y, and z are totally interchangeable. You can see this in the results i.e. you can swap them around and the equations still work. This could send you on a wild goose chase if you tried to do it only with algebra.

In short, I think you're expected to solve this at least partly by inspection. If there's a fully algebraic method, I'd like to see it.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement

What about creating a cubic equation and letting the roots equal x, y and z?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭ray giraffe

Marko1011 wrote: »
    What about creating a cubic equation and letting the roots equal x, y and z?

Yes, that works!

Advertisement