Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin City Electoral Rolls 1898-1916

• 26-02-2013 5:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

I haven't seen this project reported on in any of the usual places.

Dublinheritage.ie has info about it on their front page.

Starting with 1908 (available to search now) and going to have all the years from 1898-1916 available for searching.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ooh, useful. Awkward to pin down person on my tree should be registered in Dublin then. Pity it's his wife that's more interesting to trace!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭pjproby

Who could vote in 1908? I assume it was restricted to property owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

pjproby wrote: »
    Who could vote in 1908? I assume it was restricted to property owners.

I got the answer to this when I clicked Coolnabacky's second link, and then 'About', it has all the details there.

I checked a name I am researching and found an error there - it gave me the wrong page. I will check a few more and then will email them any other errors I find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I need to brush up on my history. I thought women did not get the right to vote until 1922 in Ireland, but I see some women in the 1908 list. :confused:

1918 but I have some rusty memory of ratepaying women being allowed vote for councils a bit earlier.

Edit: the site says women over 30 could vote for.council from 1898 if they met the same conditions as men.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I need to brush up on my history. I thought women did not get the right to vote until 1922 in Ireland, but I see some women in the 1908 list. :confused:

Ok, I have now brushed up on my history! All ok now!

From what I gather....

1869 - only in local electionsb (but not married women?)
    1894 - extends right to vote in local elections to married women.
    1918 - women above the age of 30, compared to 21 for men and 19 for those who had fought in World War One. Various property qualifications remained.)
    1922 - full rights.

Think those are England/Wales dates. The England/Wales laws often get reported as "UK" law but remember that we (and the Scots) had our own set of legislation pre-22. Scots and NI still do.

Except the 1922 date - we gave full rights in 22, the UK didn't till 28.

Advertisement