Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol selling Law

Options
  • 26-02-2013 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Anyone have any idea about how you can go about selling home made alcohol in Ireland?? Are there any laws? Can it be sold in the farmers market??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭NCG

There are many laws! In summary though, you cannot sell it anywhere (including a farmers' market) without a licence. Indeed if you are making it for sale, you need a manufacturer's licence before you even get to selling it. Your local Revenue office will help if you want to go down that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Rin12

Is that expensive??

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭NCG

I am not a solicitor so please do not act on this advice without enquiring further. However, my understanding is the manufacturing licence is not too expensive (eg €500 per annum) but that only allows you wholesale to others who have a retail licence (pubs, off-licences etc). To sell directly to the public you would need a full retail licence which is a lot more expensive.

That is just the excise licence, then you have to deal with paying excise duty (bonded warehouse?), VAT, registering with the HSE, etc,etc. I am not trying to put you off but it is not feasible to do what you are talking about on a small scale in Ireland.

If you want more information have a look at beoir.org which has a tread on "starting your own microbrewery". I know that is not what you want to do, but it will give you an idea of the bureaucracy involved and it's the same for even very small producers. Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Rin12

Thanks a mill for the answer! :) Just exploring options! :)

Advertisement