Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the belltable

• 26-02-2013 7:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭

sad to hear its gone into liquidation:( had the pleasure of performing there in
    june (pigtown) seems so sad it wont be a venue during limerick city of culture
    events 2014.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

It's sad to see. According to RTE the recent refurbishment went overbudget by €300,000 and they can't afford it. The city council owns the building though so while the Belltable company won't be around, I'm sure the council won't leave the building idle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

pigtown wrote: »
    It's sad to see. According to RTE the recent refurbishment went overbudget by €300,000 and they can't afford it. The city council owns the building though so while the Belltable company won't be around, I'm sure the council won't leave the building idle.

hopefully! too many good good people involved.is the mad mechanic(so called) still an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

Probably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I'd say the opening of the Lime Tree Theatre in Mary I didn't help them either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I'd say the opening of the Lime Tree Theatre in Mary I didn't help them either.

I reckon having a board of directors etc that allowed a project to go so far overbudget was the only real factor. For such a small venture to go so far overbudget, it really does smack of serious fiscal incompetence by someone involved.

If Limerick's interest in theatre/culture was so poor that the opening of such a small (albeit excellent) venue as the Lime Tree Theatre meant the Belltable had to go, then it would be painting pretty damning picture of Limerick in theatrical/cultural terms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 neverwasser

pilate 1 wrote: »
    hopefully! too many good good people involved.is the mad mechanic(so called) still an issue?

The "mad mechanic" was only an issue because of the trouble that was caused to his business as a result of the refurbishment. He was never consulted not was planning permission sought to use the laneway outside his business to refurbish the Belltable, there was days when he was effectively closed because of how they carried out the fit out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭leakyboots

The "mad mechanic" was only an issue because of the trouble that was caused to his business as a result of the refurbishment. He was never consulted not was planning permission sought to use the laneway outside his business to refurbish the Belltable, there was days when he was effectively closed because of how they carried out the fit out.

But does that justify constantly ruining performances with various drills and banging? Even in the late evening long after mechanics clsoe?

Many plays and artists refused to return to the Belltable because of his antics.

Put it this way, anyone I know who knows of him won't darken his door because of his behavior

he wasnt looking for consultation he was looking for compo!the less that was
    forthcoming the more anti social his behaviour got.

leakyboots wrote: »
    But does that justify constantly ruining performances with various drills and banging? Even in the late evening long after mechanics clsoe?

Many plays and artists refused to return to the Belltable because of his antics.

Put it this way, anyone I know who knows of him won't darken his door because of his behavior

From the outside looking in, it would appear that both sides in that dispute acted poorly.

The mechanic lost business because vehicles involved with the Belltable parked illegally during the day blocking the entrance to his business, and the mechanic appears to have gone OTT with the noise he made during performances.

I don't like the way he went about ruining performances (I was at one that had the sound of his banging booing away in the background), but I can totally understand his frustration at having his customers being blocked from getting their cars to him during the daytime thanks the laneway being totally blocked by Belltable related vehicles.

From the outside it seems something that could have been sorted out with a bit of common sense but that was instead escalated due to stupidity/ignorance from both sides.

leakyboots wrote: »

And I know plenty of people who will never darken the door of the bell table (not that its an issue now) after the way they carried on with the mechanic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

you do not need planning permission to use a road or laneway to do up a business

I thought the credit union owned that building ?

I am also fairly sure that the thousands of people who have gone to the bell table since it reopened will never darken his door with his petty behaviour

kilburn wrote: »
    you do not need planning permission to use a road or laneway to do up a business

I am also fairly sure that the thousands of people who have gone to the bell table since it reopened will never darken his door with his petty behaviour

Yes you do, in built up areas you need to stipulate how the work will be carried out and how the main infrastructure .ie the roads and public amenities will be affected, the Bell table noted that all work would be done through the front entrance, then when work started they began to use the back entrance on a more regular basis in contravention of the planning application.

Yes you do, in built up areas you need to stipulate how the work will be carried out and how the main infrastructure .ie the roads and public amenities will be affected, the Bell table noted that all work would be done through the front entrance, then when work started they began to use the back entrance on a more regular basis in contravention of the planning application.

in built up areas do you need planning permission to run a light industrial unit
    ie garage between 6pm and 9pm, which appeared to be the opening hours of
    this enterprise through out may/june2012?

pilate 1 wrote: »
    in built up areas do you need planning permission to run a light industrial unit
    ie garage between 6pm and 9pm, which appeared to be the opening hours of
    this enterprise through out may/june2012?

Probably not, but I do know that when you apply for planning permission you have inform the planners how the work will be carried out.

kilburn wrote: »

If it is a public road or laneway then you cannot completely block vehicular access on it though, which is what happened.

Do not disagree that the noise making actions were petty though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Yet I went to a concert in the Belltable years before they did their renovations and that was interrupted by Mick Daley also. So they were having problems with him long before the renovations started.

And yes the Belltable directors handled the situation poorly, especially by letting it go on, but it doesn't change the fact that it was a petty and pathetic display at the garage with no real justification, because in the end it was the people paying to go see stuff at the Belltable and the actors that worked there that were most affected, but Daley's qualms weren't with them.

Advertisement