Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Granite Pavements

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

haha only saying

There has to be a logical reason as to why DCC did this, perhaps email them?

Or do you seriously believe it is for the DCC employees gardens and that they got the go ahead on this costly project for that very reason

You are right, I am no expert on the subject, but Im willing to believe that the granite stones have been damaged to some extent that maybe the amateur can't tell or that they have been removed to prevent more damage or to ne restored

As I say if you are really that wound up, perhaps contact DCC and vent your frustration to them

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

haha only saying

Or do you seriously believe it is for the DCC employees gardens and that they got the go ahead on this costly project for that very reason

You are right, I am no expert on the subject, but Im willing to believe that the granite stones have been damaged to some extent that maybe the amateur can't tell or that they have been removed to prevent more damage or to ne restored

As I say if you are really that wound up, perhaps contact DCC and vent your frustration to them

Bobin, with respect, I don't think you really understand the issue. DCC have been contacted repeatedly over literally decades on this issue. To date we have managed to get some limited progress, but it seems to be one step forward, two steps back with DCC Roads and Traffic.

The The 2009 Historic Street Surfaces Study was supposed to identify protections from ham-fisted "repairs". Last year a Public Realm Strategy was worked out that is supposed to respect the integrity of the historic surfaces. This includes a Manual for historic paving, the strategy states that "Historic paving is a fundamental part of the identity of the city centre. However, it is vulnerable to damage and incremental loss. Mapping and maintaining this to agreed standards must form part of the city’s overall approach to the public realm."

Yet once again another botched job on the city's pavements. Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

haha only saying

Pure insider response, including the thanks. You fail to have a valid explanation for the wide spread practice of such fudges on the architectural heritage of our city.

I dont think anyone is realistically implying that they did the road in such a manner just to grab granite for some employees gardens. Its the haphazard way that any changes are implemented and the lip service to guidelines that are supposedly set out.

You well know that there are glaring examples from the north side of this county all the way to the mountains on the south. In out bing bang bosh nobodys going to notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Lapin wrote: »
    There are quite a few.

This ?

This ?

This ?

Or the amount of tatty shopfronts and signage on the street ?

That first one there. Jesus, I didn't know about that plinth is that the 'pedestrian defence' I'd been hearing about? What a piece of schite.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

kylith wrote: »
    That first one there. Jesus, I didn't know about that plinth is that the 'pedestrian defence' I'd been hearing about? What a piece of schite.

No, that is a building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Lapin wrote: »
    There are quite a few.

This ?

This ?

This ?

Or the amount of tatty shopfronts and signage on the street ?
    And you forgot to mention their masterpiece here: http://goo.gl/maps/PUo9W
    At least there's a few trees covering it now. You'd be doing well to fúck up a city more if you tried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

listermint wrote: »
    Pure insider response, including the thanks. You fail to have a valid explanation for the wide spread practice of such fudges on the architectural heritage of our city.

I dont think anyone is realistically implying that they did the road in such a manner just to grab granite for some employees gardens. Its the haphazard way that any changes are implemented and the lip service to guidelines that are supposedly set out.

You well know that there are glaring examples from the north side of this county all the way to the mountains on the south. In out bing bang bosh nobodys going to notice.

I dont work for DCC, the rest of your drivel isnt really worth replying to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Calm it down folks

Advertisement