Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Discrimination question

• 26-02-2013 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Is centra aloud to make students wait outside during lunch in a queue and allow adults in straight away without having to queue just wondering if this is legal because its happening at the centra near my school and i know it is to try and reduce shop lifting. So I was just wondering if they are legally aloud to do that or is it discrimination against teenagers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

their shop, their rules

• Registered Users Posts: 15 bensen1296

that doesn't mean anything because if that was the law why have the NCA? and so would they be allowed to stop other races from entering then and there is also anti discrimination laws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Would ya not all boycott the shop for a week, send the word round in the classes, get lunch elsewhere. When they are losing the business they'll sharpen up. School lunches Must be a massive earner for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

bensen1296 wrote: »
    Is centra aloud to make students wait outside during lunch in a queue and allow adults in straight away without having to queue just wondering if this is legal because its happening at the centra near my school and i know it is to try and reduce shop lifting. So I was just wondering if they are legally aloud to do that or is it discrimination against teenagers?

Legally discrimination is restricted to certain categories, one can discriminate on hair colour, but not skin colour.

Age is covered, but you might not be able to make the age grounds here.

Ya alot of use got annoyed so now were going to different shops but unfortunately some students still go there. But they must already be loosing lots of money

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I'm sure they are doing the math of 1 jambon vs the hundreds of euro of stuff being nicked.

I take it you are reporting anyone from your school group who is nicking to the gardai?

Its not "1 jambon" its alot of students spending €5/6 everyday on sandwiches/wraps/rolls and drinks and sweets

Why don't you approach the shop keeper with a view to viewing the CCTV and identifying the thieves. Perhaps then they could ban the right people and you wouldn't have to be let in in limited numbers, which incidentally, shops have been doing since I was a lad.

Ya I'll probably write a letter asking them to do that but it will probably go in their bin. I know its fair enough them doing that to cut down on shoplifting but whats unfair is them letting in adults and limiting students which I think is discrimination and that's why I made this. But just because students may shoplift doesn't mean adults aren't.

Ya I'll probably write a letter asking them to do that but it will probably go in their bin. I know its fair enough them doing that to cut down on shoplifting but whats unfair is them letting in adults and limiting students which I think is discrimination and that's why I made this. But just because students may shoplift doesn't mean adults aren't.

I think you need to be very careful what is discrimination and what is bone fide risk assessment. Failure to apply common sense results in decisions like the fairly resent one in regards to insurance.

• Advertisement

Wow heard today that the centra is under new management so that could be why they are doing that

"1. Any discrimination based on any ground such as sex, race, colour, ethnic or social origin, genetic
    features, language, religion or belief, political or any other opinion, membership of a national minority,
    property, birth, disability, age or sexual orientation shall be prohibited
    ."
    Found that in article 21 of the European Union Charter of Fundamental Rights.

"Discrimination may be defined as different treatment of individuals or groups based on arbitrary ascriptive or acquired criteria such as sex, race, religion, age, marital or parental status, disability, sexual orientation, political opinions, socio-economic background, and trade union membership and activities.

The term discrimination first entered EU discourse in the form of its prohibition on the basis of nationality in Article 18 TFEU. Article 19 TFEU, introduced as Article 13 EC by the Treaty of Amsterdam,
    " found that here

So i guess that could be descrimination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Ye can't all be served at once and by limiting numbers they are exercising crowd control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

"1. Any discrimination based on any ground such as sex, race, colour, ethnic or social origin, genetic
    features, language, religion or belief, political or any other opinion, membership of a national minority,
    property, birth, disability, age or sexual orientation shall be prohibited
    ."
    Found that in article 21 of the European Union Charter of Fundamental Rights.

"Discrimination may be defined as different treatment of individuals or groups based on arbitrary ascriptive or acquired criteria such as sex, race, religion, age, marital or parental status, disability, sexual orientation, political opinions, socio-economic background, and trade union membership and activities.

The term discrimination first entered EU discourse in the form of its prohibition on the basis of nationality in Article 18 TFEU. Article 19 TFEU, introduced as Article 13 EC by the Treaty of Amsterdam,
    " found that here

So i guess that could be descrimination

It is very important that the charter only applies in certain circumstances as set out in Article 51,

Article 51
    Scope
    1. The provisions of this Charter are addressed to the institutions and bodies of the Union with due regard for the principle of subsidiarity and to the Member States only when they are implementing Union law. They shall therefore respect the rights, observe the principles and promote the application thereof in accordance with their respective powers.
    2. This Charter does not establish any new power or task for the Community or the Union, or modify powers and tasks defined by the Treaties.

The main thing what I want to know is it legal that they make the students wait in the line for the crowd control and let the adults in without waiting in the line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

The main thing what I want to know is it legal that they make the students wait in the line for the crowd control and let the adults in without waiting in the line?

Yes Here have a read

There are two distinct pieces of legislation in place which set out important rights for people and specifically outlaw discrimination when it occurs. The Employment Equality Acts 1998-2011 and the Equal Status Acts 2000-2011 outlaw discrimination in employment, vocational training, advertising, collective agreements, the provision of goods and services. Specifically, goods and services include professional or trade services; health services; access to accommodation and education; facilities for banking, transport and cultural activities.

Under the equality legislation discrimination based on any one of 9 distinct grounds is unlawful. These grounds are:

Family status
    Sexual orientation
    Religion
    Age (does not apply to a person under 16)
    Disability
    Race
    Membership of the Traveller community.

Advertisement