Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software Engineering?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭GavinFlud

I'm actually just in the final stages of the Software Design course in Athlone IT, which is very similar to the Software Engineering course. If it's something you're interested in then go for it. I would advise you to have a look at the two Software Design courses though. They're both level 8, with one focused on web development and one focused on game development (though you'll spend most of your time on the software side of things).

The main reason I'm recommending Software Design over the one you are looking at is that it's a level 8, which is the level most employers expect at a minimum. Going for a level 7 can be dangerous in the IT/Software field because some people get tired of college (believe me, it happens) after the three years and opt against completing the additional 1 or 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Can second the above post. A BSC level 8 is going to be much more appealing looking for job prospects in this country, along with the possibility of getting full time employment from your work experience in year 3.

Doing software design myself as well, same course except I'm in the second year of the gaming side of it. It's heavily orientated around software design / engineering in the two years I've done so far with the course covering Java, c++ and python. The web side get C sharp and drop python in favor of a web design language (I think. Not really read up on that aspect of my course).

If you do eventually decide to go for your chosen course or the design one, coming from someone doing it, focus on the maths and python if you choose the gaming route.

I haven't got enough points to jump straight into a level 8 so the progression from level 7 is my only option, I plan to go onto level 8 anyway with the masters and the software engineering course appeals more to me than the software design :) Thanks for the feedback and any other thoughts are welcome :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Ramza wrote: »
    I haven't got enough points to jump straight into a level 8 so the progression from level 7 is my only option, I plan to go onto level 8 anyway with the masters and the software engineering course appeals more to me than the software design :) Thanks for the feedback and any other thoughts are welcome :)

If you want to go straight for a level 8 then Cavan have an option for you:
    http://www.cavaninstitute.ie/computing_engineering_and_science.html#infotech

That's the course I did, after not having enough grades rather than points for this course. It's a nice and simple course and covers the CITXX Fetac entry route into the course I'm doing now. The advantage of going this way is that you ease into college with a course that isn't too difficult or demanding and you get a taste of what's to come.

Though the course you linked leads on to a 1 year long level 8 like you said and then a 2 year long level 9 masters (depending on how high up the educational ladder you wish to climb), which isn't bad either.

Route 1, cavan then ait, takes 5 years total. Route two: Stepping up the ladder from a level 7 to level 8 (with the possibility of a 2 year level 9) takes 4 years. Route 1 is more focused on the software development side of things and the first year will cover a little bit of the second year in ait while route 2 seems to focus on the 'How stuff works' approach and getting down to the hardware side of things.

As far as job prospects go work experience is lacking from route 2, which while being a nice stepping stone into industry isn't the be all end all. Other than that I can't say much but this may give you an idea:
    http://www.ait.ie/careersoffice/vacancies/schoolofengineering/

That's all my insight anyway, hope you get what suites for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭GavinFlud

If the points are a problem then by all means do whatever you feel best. Speaking from experience, the work experience and better knowledge of software design and architecture that you get in software design would put you in a better position when graduating.

Software engineering is a great course, but it's key faults lie with it's lack of work placement and constant emphasis on code over design.

Either one will adequately educate you for a career in the software industry though, so go with whichever suits you the best.

Absolutely fantastic informed replies, thanks a bunch everyone :D!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

Hi everyone,
    I am also changing career and have decided that software engineering is the way to go..... I am in Arklow so figure the best route for me is in Dublin...

Can anyone recommend any course in Dublin to try out for......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Hi everyone,
    I am also changing career and have decided that software engineering is the way to go..... I am in Arklow so figure the best route for me is in Dublin...

Can anyone recommend any course in Dublin to try out for......

anything that says level 8 BSC or B.Eng (HONOURS).

sadly the way the market has gone, unless you really excel at your course, you may need to go for a masters afterwards unless the economy and jobs really picks up

Advertisement