Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dwarf hamster fighting

• 26-02-2013 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

My dwarf hamsters have just started fighting, we've had them for a month. It looks like there might be a blood wound I can't tell. Ive seperated them for now. I have two questions

Does anyone have any idea what I could do about a short term water bottle, until I get to a pet store

How do we reintroduce them to each other?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Dwarf hamsters are one of the few smaller rodents that when the hit sexual maturity cannot be kept with old litter mates. They are a solitary animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Dwarf hamsters are one of the few smaller rodents that when the hit sexual maturity cannot be kept with old litter mates. They are a solitary animal.
    Are you sure? They're Russian dwarf hamsters, this kind is meant to live in groups I thought

Are you sure? They're Russian dwarf hamsters, this kind is meant to live in groups I thought

According to UCD veterinary, they recommend them to be kept apart, it's the only small rodent they recommend it for, the rest they suggest to keep with a litter mate of the same gender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

syrian hamsters live alone not dwarf hamsters. some just dont get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

When we first got them, the albino was dominant and would bully the grey one, the grey one now has gotten very big and all of a sudden got really cranky and aggressive, I think it's because I changed the bedding and didn't leave enough old bedding there. The white one has turned submissive but the grey one still threatens him.
    Is there any point in trying to play with them together again in the hope to reintroduce each other? And mix up now the bedding maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

When we first got them, the albino was dominant and would bully the grey one, the grey one now has gotten very big and all of a sudden got really cranky and aggressive, I think it's because I changed the bedding and didn't leave enough old bedding there. The white one has turned submissive but the grey one still threatens him.
    Is there any point in trying to play with them together again in the hope to reintroduce each other? And mix up now the bedding maybe?

unfortunatly a lot of males fall out and have to be permanently separated :( especialy when their hormones kick in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I had two female dwarf hamsters that I had to separate, too.

PucaMama wrote: »
    syrian hamsters live alone not dwarf hamsters. some just dont get on.

My apologies, you are right. Overall all Syrians do not interact well. Most female gerbils and hamsters will not share territories in the wild so they do not tend to gel well with others, but usually will with litter mates, but it is the Syrian where even the males do not do well together either.
    boomerang wrote: »
    I had two female dwarf hamsters that I had to separate, too.

Females tend to be a bit more temperamental.

Advertisement