Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perth Bound. 457 questions

Options
  • 26-02-2013 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi all.

Heading back to Perth in May on my 2nd year WHV.

I plan to try and get sponsored and stay in WA.

Just need some help with a few questions.

Is it true that I cannot go back to my previous employer and get sponsored by him?

I understand from reading through the forum that once sponsored on a 457 visa that you can apply for residency after two years. Is this residency always approved? What percentage of applicants get it? What happens if you dont get it?

What are the best jobs to go for to get sponsored with if you dont have a qualification. I have a BA in English and History. Also have a HR unrestricted licence.

My brother is an Australian resident. Can he sponsor me?

Thanks for any help. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

mminor wrote: »
    Hi all.

Heading back to Perth in May on my 2nd year WHV.

I plan to try and get sponsored and stay in WA.

Just need some help with a few questions.

Is it true that I cannot go back to my previous employer and get sponsored by him?
    Not true, you can work 6months on 2nd year visa with him and as much as you like on 457
    I understand from reading through the forum that once sponsored on a 457 visa that you can apply for residency after two years. Is this residency always approved? What percentage of applicants get it? What happens if you dont get it?
    You need to read the forum a bit more, you can apply whenever you like, not just after 2 years, 2 years removes skills assessment from the step.
    Is always approved - no, but that's what skills assessment is for. After 2 years with no skills assessment residency is much easier to obtain.
    % - no idea.
    Don't get it - you stay on what visa you have
    What are the best jobs to go for to get sponsored with if you dont have a qualification. I have a BA in English and History. Also have a HR unrestricted licence.
    no idea sorry, but try having a look on immi and there is a skills list, only jobs on that can be sponsored
    My brother is an Australian resident. Can he sponsor me?
    nope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mminor

Thanks for the reply.
    hussey wrote: »
    Not true, you can work 6months on 2nd year visa with him and as much as you like on 457

Are you sure that I can return to a previous employer and get sponsored by him? It states on this link that I cannot? Is it a new rule or has it been changed recently?

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/eligibility-employee.htm

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I think you can get a visa waiver if you brother is citizen. I knew a girl in Melbourne who s sister was a citizen and she did that after her working holiday visa expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Your brother can nominate as a you for a skilled visa which will give you 10 extra points.

Also it states on immi that if your working for a employer for the 2nd time they can't sponsor you on a 457.

Eligibility to apply for this visa
    You can apply for a subclass 457 visa if:

you have relevant skills and you been nominated by an approved business to work in an eligible occupation in Australia, and you:

are working for the company for the first time

are being transferred from another position within the same company outside Australia

currently hold a subclass 457 visa which is about to expire.

you will be a representative of a supplier of services who is located outside Australia

you are a member of the family unit of a skilled worker who has been nominated for this visa

you meet other eligibility requirements applicable to all visa applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

mminor wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.
    Are you sure that I can return to a previous employer and get sponsored by him? It states on this link that I cannot? Is it a new rule or has it been changed recently?

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/eligibility-employee.htm
    I see the quote "are working for the company for the first time"
    Strange I have not seen that before, a huge amount of people get their 457 via their WHV (I did) so I presume one of these criteria will apply
    • you will be a representative of a supplier of services who is located outside Australia
    • you meet other eligibility requirements applicable to all visa applicants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I think you can get a visa waiver if you brother is citizen. I knew a girl in Melbourne who s sister was a citizen and she did that after her working holiday visa expired.

That's probably a 679 family visitor visa, its only good for a 12 month holiday.

There no such thing as a visa waiver in Australia, all non-Australians require a visa of some sort.

Advertisement