Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smith and wesson m&p 15.22

Options
  • 26-02-2013 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Hey Folks, I have a couple of .22's and a pistol .22 , member of a club and shoot and love it regularly, I am sure this has come up on boards before, the M16 .22 clones or similar guns.
    What I was hoping for was a ten round mag smith&wesson m&p 15.22 .

Hmmm obtaining this licence will probably be a bit of a bugger!, But hey 2 guys at my club have them!, so it aint impossible! They also have unrestricted licences for the gun. I have a good relationship with my F.O , This gun obviously would just be a bit of fun, no comp shooting just enjoying the similar feel of an AR ,
    Does anyone here have one or something like it?, an if so what did you put down on ur licence forms, restricted? unrestricted? .I know that because it really looks Military and narly!! that thats where the prob could certainly occur when trying to get a licence, my super's ok chief s , not so much,

any feedback is greatly appreciated!! : )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Steve012 wrote: »
    Hey Folks, I have a couple of .22's and a pistol .22 , member of a club and shoot and love it regularly, I am sure this has come up on boards before, the M16 .22 clones or similar guns.
    What I was hoping for was a ten round mag smith&wesson m&p 15.22 .

Hmmm obtaining this licence will probably be a bit of a bugger!, But hey 2 guys at my club have them!, so it aint impossible! They also have unrestricted licences for the gun. I have a good relationship with my F.O , This gun obviously would just be a bit of fun, no comp shooting just enjoying the similar feel of an AR ,
    Does anyone here have one or something like it?, an if so what did you put down on ur licence forms, restricted? unrestricted? .I know that because it really looks Military and narly!! that thats where the prob could certainly occur when trying to get a licence, my super's ok chief s , not so much,

any feedback is greatly appreciated!! : )

Then they have no licence for the gun and are holding it illegally. It's a restricted firearm, it needs a restricted licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Restricted because of its looks Blay?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Restricted because of its looks Blay?
    Cheers

This is going to be one of those threads where people will disagree. My opinion is that it does not look like an assault rifle just because it is black... It looks like a black semi auto .22 with rails and an adjustable stock. Big deal. Maybe the super who issued the unrestricted license agreed with me.

Good point! could be worth taking to my F.0! ya never know!, Lovely gun from what Ive heard, polymer but feck it! so's a glock :D

It resembles an assault rifle, it's patterned after an AR15, the Super isn't going to accept that as an unrestricted licence unless he's doesn't know what it looks like.

I know someone looking for one at the moment who applied for it unrestricted and the FO called him up and told him it was a restricted firearm and he's now in the process of getting a restricted licence. I also know another guy who was refused a restricted licence for one, despite being a firearms instructor and having a number of firearms including a CF pistol.

• Advertisement

Cheers Blay , il see what my F.0 says or just apply and get refused, If you get refused once does it look bad for future licence applications? ,

Cheers Blay , il see what my F.0 says or just apply and get refused, If you get refused once does it look bad for future licence applications? ,

No, I wouldn't think so. You have to state it on the form if you've ever been refused but they would probably be refusing you based on the gun itself rather than you being the problem as a person so I don't think it would be an issue later on.

Cheers for your help Blay, hmmm its a tuff one! to decide,

Blay wrote: »
    It resembles an assault rifle.

And that's where we will disagree. But that's life I guess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It's a dumb ass law eitherways. What difference does it make what a rifle looks like?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Blay is correct.

Semi auto, with 10 rounds or less chambered in .22lr are not restricted.

However the design/look of the rifle makes it restricted.
    assault rifles” means—
    • (a) rifles capable of functioning as semi-automatic firearms and as automatic firearms,
    • (b) firearms that resemble such rifles;

There is no right or wrong. If the rifle resembles an assault rifle it is restricted, and a Super has no authority issuing a license for it. Any license issued in error by the Super is still the responsibility of the licensee.

I had this some time ago. A lad showed me a semi auto 223 that he had licensed as unrestricted. He said his SUper gave it to him so its his mistake. I told him as he was previously licensed (whether in error or not) he has an excellent chance of getting the restricted license, and to apply for it.

He literally told me to f**k off, that it was the Super's fault and it's not his job to correct it. I could have explained to him that it was his job, and the onus is on him to make sure he has the proper license. However given the prevailing attitude i didn't bother. He seemed to know it all so i'm sure the Gardaí arresting him will understand it too.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Blay is correct.

Semi auto, with 10 rounds or less chambered in .22lr are not restricted.

However the design/look of the rifle makes it restricted.

There is no right or wrong. If the rifle resembles an assault rifle it is restricted, and a Super has no authority issuing a license for it. Any license issued in error by the Super is still the responsibility of the licensee.

I had this some time ago. A lad showed me a semi auto 223 that he had licensed as unrestricted. He said his SUper gave it to him so its his mistake. I told him as he was previously licensed (whether in error or not) he has an excellent chance of getting the restricted license, and to apply for it.

He literally told me to f**k off, that it was the Super's fault and it's not his job to correct it. I could have explained to him that it was his job, and the onus is on him to make sure he has the proper license. However given the prevailing attitude i didn't bother. He seemed to know it all so i'm sure the Gardaí arresting him will understand it too.

Here's my question. How do the Gardai know what an assault rifle looks like? I've never seen a definition anywhere?

I always thought an assault rifle would be a fully automatic centrefire rifle, but they don't all look the same.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As with all things it's purposely vague. Leaves the decision to the Super/Chief Super as to whether the gun is or is not an assault rifle.

If they nailed it down with a definitive description then measures could be taken to avoid meeting that description to avoid having to apply for a restricted license.

Also, i've spoken to a couple of lads over the years regarding pistols where the Chief Super used Google, and made his decision based on how the gun looked.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Here's my question. How do the Gardai know what an assault rifle looks like? I've never seen a definition anywhere?

I always thought an assault rifle would be a fully automatic centrefire rifle, but they don't all look the same.

I think it was put in to hit things like AR15/AK47 etc. clones, rifles one would be used to seeing in films and would be instantly recognisable, rifles patterned after them are restricted without a doubt. Rifles like a 10/22 with pistol grip/telescopic stocks, rails etc. are trickier as they're not modelled after a proper assault rifle as such and is more down to how the Super sees it himself and whether he feels it looks like an assault rifle.

Obviously if you have a 10/22 action in an AR15 stock it resembles an assault rifle but if yu have just a generic pistol grip, folding stock and rails set up it's trickier to say it defnitely resembles one but they'll lump it into the restricted category anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I have never heard of a .22lr "assault" rifle , also an assault rifle is either selective fire or fully automatic, any firearm with fully automatic capability is a prohibited firearm and not available to the public. Three members of my club have these rifles and none have had any problem licencing them, even when they included photos of them in the application, .22lr restricted to 10 rounds not a restricted firearm in the opinion of the gardai.

rowa wrote: »
    I have never heard of a .22lr "assault" rifle , also an assault rifle is either selective fire or fully automatic, any firearm with fully automatic capability is a prohibited firearm and not available to the public. Three members of my club have these rifles and none have had any problem licencing them, even when they included photos of them in the application, .22lr restricted to 10 rounds not a restricted firearm in the opinion of the gardai.

I think some people feel because its black it might be restricted. I also dont see any forward assist and a tiny little ejection port. To quote a greater man than myself, "is it cuz I is black!?".

rowa wrote: »

It doesn't have to be an assault rifle, it just has to resemble one according to the SI.
    bravestar wrote: »
    I think some people feel because its black it might be restricted. I also dont see any forward assist and a tiny little ejection port. To quote a greater man than myself, "is it cuz I is black!?".

Umarex HK416 in .22lr..meets your criteria.

Umarex_HK_416D_22lr_right.jpg

It doesn't have to be an assault rifle, it just has to resemble one according to the SI.

So it's purely a matter of opinion then. If I don't think it resembles one, and my super doesn't think it resembles one, then why not have it under an unrestricted licence?

bravestar wrote: »
    So it's purely a matter of opinion then. If I don't think it resembles one, and my super doesn't think it resembles one, then why not have it under an unrestricted licence?

Whatever about having a dressed up 10/22 under an unrestricted licence based on you and the super agreeing.

There is no way anyone could look at a S&W M&P15 .22 or the Umarex above and say it doesn't look like an assault rifle..they're exact clones of the CF versions. If they don't fall under the category of resembling an assault rifle I don't know what does.

Whatever about having a dressed up 10/22 under an unrestricted licence based on you and the super agreeing.

There is no way anyone could look at a S&W M&P15 .22 or the Umarex above and say it doesn't look like an assault rifle..they're exact clones of the CF versions. If they don't fall under the category of resembling an assault rifle I don't know what does.

You are right, the hk 416 does resemble an assault rifle in my opinion. I'll admit defeat there but ill stand by the m&p not resembling one for the reasons I mentioned. You or I could look at the m&p and know its not an m4/16, not so much with the 416. I think you would have to get your hands on it to tell unless you could read the markings.

And before you say you or I are more informed and to the layman it would be an assault rifle, everything black would be an assault rifle... Or a glock! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Interesting topic. Without a precedent setting court case I'd say we'll all be talking around in circles on this one (again).

Firstly I'd have to say that if the Super says it doesn't resemble an 'assault rifle', having seen what it looks like, then it doesn't resemble an assault rifle - at least as far as the licencing authority is concerned. If the Chief Super agrees that it does not 'resemble' an 'assault rifle' that covers the bases.

Maybe ask your Super and Chief Super to make a decision as to whether this should be dealt with as a restricted or non-restricted licence application. How one would go about getting the CS to take time to 'rule' on this, I don't know. On the other hand, I understand that the law makes the CS the relevant authority in this, and the CS derogates certain authority to the Super in these matters - therefore, the Super should be able to make the decision or if unable to do so 'kick it upstairs' for a decision by the Chief. So first port of call would be a chat with your Super and bring along a photo so they can decide if it 'resembles' a dreaded 'assault rifle' or not. (Of course, there's no definition of what 'resembles' means, or whether its the subjective opinion of the Super, the CS, or the Man-on-the-Clapham-omnibus' as to the level of resemblance :) )

So put simply, I reckon you should go ask your Super what they think - and make a note of the discussion and their advice.

On the actual definition of what is and is not an 'assault rifle': it's a fairly widely and universally accepted part of the definition that an Assault Rifle MUST have Selective Fire. If it does NOT have selective fire (i.e. Full Auto, Semi Auto, AND Single Shot/Burst Fire), then it is NOT an Assault Rifle. That seems to be the one prerequisite that any source I've checked actually does agree on.

So first you need to form an opinion as to whether the 'original' is even an 'assault rifle'....once you've done that, you can start to figure out if the rifle in question 'resembles' the original.

Interesting to note that if one takes a look the comprehensive legislation in the USA on what is or is not an assault rifle (topical!) Whether you or I agree with the US legislation and whether its even applicable as evidence in Ireland, it's still some of the most comprehensive legislation on what is or is not an 'assault rifle' - By the old US definition (from the last ban), an 'assault rifle' MUST have the following features (in addition to being Semi Automatic)

- It MUST be capable of accepting detachable magazines

PLUS

It MUST have at least TWO of the following features:

- Folding or Telescopic Stock
    - Pistol Grip
    - Bayonet Mount
    - Flash Suppressor or threaded to take same
    - Grenade Launcher

Not sure what the new proposed ban defines them as, but I may do some interweb digging.

With no CLEAR legal definitions provided in our own Irish legislation in relation to this matter ('resembles', 'assault rifle', whose subjective opinion is relevant, etc etc), and AFAIK no precedents set by the Courts on this matter, it may be of interest and some relevance to look for definitions in UK law (particularly in the UK 'assault rifle' ban) and in Canadian and Australian legislation/bans/definitions....AFAIK legal arguments using information and legislation from the UK, Canada, and Australia are accepted in our Courts in the absence of our own legal definitions sufficing.

As ever, this is just me thinking out loud and is not a legal opinion or advice - just some food for thought.

dC

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

dCorbus wrote: »
    - It MUST be capable of accepting detachable magazines

PLUS

- Pistol Grip
    - Bayonet Mount
    - Grenade Launcher

Not sure what the new proposed ban defines them as, but I may do some interweb digging.

The latest Fienstein bill I saw changes it to one "feature", so an AR with a standard pistol grip and standard magazine release but no other feature would be defined as an "assualt weapon"
    This is what we live with already here in California, we get by with "bullet buttons" or no pistol grips, although there are state bills to outlaw such modifcations.

Federally, I don't think Fiensteins bill has much chance of passing, I'll wager whats going to come out of all this is extended back ground checks and shrinking of the "gun show loop hole"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

harmoniums wrote: »
    The latest Fienstein bill I saw changes it to one "feature", so an AR with a standard pistol grip and standard magazine release but no other feature would be defined as an "assualt weapon"
    This is what we live with already here in California, we get by with "bullet buttons" or no pistol grips, although there are state bills to outlaw such modifcations.

Federally, I don't think Fiensteins bill has much chance of passing, I'll wager whats going to come out of all this is extended back ground checks and shrinking of the "gun show loop hole"

Fingers crossed for you it won't pass, piers morgan and the other do-gooders will be upset :D. Seriously though trying to accurately describe an "assault" rifle is like trying to knit fog, the gardai know that and its a can of worms they don't want to open in court. what extra danger or risk to the public is a semi ten shot .22 that resembles an ar over a wooden stocked 10/22 semi ten shot ? None is the common sense answer.

- Pistol Grip
    - Bayonet Mount
    - Grenade Launcher

Awww crap. So you mean my Brno .22 is restricted because of my grenade launcher and bayonet mount? ;)

Well, your Brno .22 is presumably a bolt action rifle and not semi auto, so one assumes its not restricted. Although you may have some minor legal issues arising from the grenade launcher....just saying....careful now! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

,,,particularly in the UK 'assault rifle' ban...

Whilst agreeing with 99.999% of your post, as one who suffered under the 1988 ban, I must point out most earnestly that is was categorically NOT an 'assault rifle ban'.

What is WAS was a ban on ALL centre-fire semi-automatic rifled long arms, no matter what they looked like.

I'd be grateful if you would consider rewording your comment to reflect the actuality.

Please read the wording of the Home Office documentation -

Quote - HMSO -

1 Prohibited weapons and ammunition.E+W+S(1)Section 5 of the M1Firearms Act 1968 (in this Act referred to as “the principal Act”) shall have effect with the following amendments the purpose of which is to extend the class of prohibited weapons and ammunition, that is to say weapons and ammunition the possession, purchase, acquisition, manufacture, sale or transfer of which requires the authority of the Secretary of State.

(2)For paragraph (a) of subsection (1) there shall be substituted—

“(a)any firearm which is so designed or adapted that two or more missiles can be successively discharged without repeated pressure on the trigger;

(ab)any self-loading or pump-action rifle other than one which is chambered for .22 rim-fire cartridges;

(ac)any self-loading or pump-action smooth-bore gun which is not chambered for .22 rim-fire cartridges and either has a barrel less than 24 inches in length or (excluding any detachable, folding, retractable or other movable butt-stock) is less than 40 inches in length overall;

The word 'assault' does not appear anywhere in this document.

TIA.

tac

Thanks Tac
    I know - hence the use of inverted comma's. It wasn't an assault rifle ban, so I didn't write that: I wrote 'assault rifle' ban. See how I did that?! Magic! :)

But I take your point and I did read the UK Firearms Amendment Act 1988 which I believe you've quoted above and you're correct: it makes no mention of the phrase 'assault rifle'. I used that term as that is what many (myself included) would colloquially refer to that particular ban. But yes, that particular bit of legislation did more damage than simply prohibiting so-called 'assault rifles'.

Your points are duly noted and as you've pointed out above, the 'assault rifle' ban (so-called) was not just or only that, but far more.

I won't be editing my previous post as this will confuse / destroy the narrative of this thread. But you've clarified the actual ramifications for us and I think it's clear to all readers that there's more to the UK's 1988 act than simply a ban on so-called 'assault rifles' or indeed assault rifles. So no need for any retrospective editing, I think.

Thanks. dC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I don't think anyone in the shooting community should be calling them "assault rifles" because unless they are select fire they are'nt and using a media coined term meant to shock, outrage and scare the general public won't do us any good, if we want it to change we should call them what they are and educate people as to what an assault rifle is instead of calling any black semi automatic rifle an assault rifle because it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Thanks Tac...Your points are duly noted and as you've pointed out above, the 'assault rifle' ban (so-called) was not just or only that, but far more. Thanks. dC

Thanks for the soft answer. :) [can you see that emoticon?]

As an aside, when I can see ANY of the new .22 'lookalikes' capable of being fitted with a bayonet, UBGL, burst-fire capability or even fully automatic fire, I'll begin to have some element of sympathy with your very confused police officers, trying their hardest to knit fog in an area where the people who MAKE them don't know what to call them, let alone an allegedly hard-pressed police force in a country where the possession of anything that looks even vaguely military is viewed as the beginnings of training for [another] civil war.

Suffice it to say that from over here those of us with any interest at all in Irish firearms law watch in horror as your police tie themselves in self-administered knots, as well as tying up court time and much public money, cover themselves in a cloak of mistrust and misery, all to prevent honest and law-abiding citizens from having a bit of legal fun.

As we all know, me perhaps more than most of you from being on the wrong end of a real military firearm in Ireland, those people who want the real thing seem to have no trouble in acquiring them, nor, it seems, do they ever get caught.

We, the honest legal shooters, are the fish in the barrel - unlike the REAL criminals, AGS know exactly where to find US and do as they wish.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Here is the big problem with the discussion, and with the Feinstien bill etc. This discussion often is about assault WEAPONS, and that is what currently proposed US legislation is about, not assault RIFLES. The term assault weapon is a very fuzzy, much politicized term that allows for broad and illogical political definitions, as in the very goofy illogical 1994 bill in the US. The term assault rifle has a precise and established definition that really cannot be argued, and alluded to in posts above.

Frankly, I can understand a nation & their lawmakers being alarmed at allowing the possession of military style semi-auto rifles, even in .22lr, and making laws about that. Under the US Constitution, our founding fathers (if you read their writings), clearly intended us to be able to own and possess military style weapons. If this were a US forum I would cite the many statistics showing crime increasing with stricter gun control, the minuscule use of rifles in the commission of crimes in a nation of 200 million gun owners, etc etc. But since this is Ireland I won't bore you. However I can say with confidence that were I "king for a day", I could devise a system wherein folks could lawfully own semi-auto military style firearms, and also effectively address the fears in the current era about nut jobs run amok. However, the folks with inordinant fears, or those with other political agendas are really not interested in solutions (I mean this last statement toward the USA mainly, but i think it applies in other places too.)

Advertisement