Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag

• 26-02-2013 10:08pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Mods apologies if this was posted already but a quick scan around seems like there is not.

There was a mention that someone saw the name on a plane last month when a a woman was doing a PPT presentation, now we have this:

medium.jpg

I'm excited over this than the last few AC games to be honest :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Despite how poor revelations was and ac3 doing some interesting things yet felt dated and boring bout halfway through , i hope ac4 does not make the same mistakes but judging from how quickly this seems to come out it may very well be.

Btw there is only one pirate

luffy.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Yeah there's going to be an AC4. This year. Not starring Connor, and in a new location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Yeah there's going to be an AC4. This year. Not starring Connor, and in a new location.
    Starring Henry Rollins maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

"We put a lot of money into those ship battles. We may as well get another game out of it."

AC4 was already announced.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The lesson this series needs to learn: less is oftentimes very much more.

There was stuff to like in AC3, but it was buried under so much unsatisfying bloat. And that bloat - including the story itself - often felt shoddily stapled together. Focusing on the naval battle stuff is a good first step ;)

Not having a ten hour long prologue would be a good second step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

A glimpse into the future:

Assassins Creed 2015: black pirates ops 3

There was stuff to like in AC3, but it was buried under so much unsatisfying bloat. And that bloat - including the story itself - often felt shoddily stapled together. Focusing on the naval battle stuff is a good first step ;)

The problem with AC3 wasn't about it having too much or too little, it was that it wasn't tied together in a cohesive way. The aspect of building up a team of assassins wasn't exactly dealt with very well. I didn't even figure out how you do it until fairly far in the game. Also, the main character had no character. The voice actor was very dull.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

AC4 was already announced.

Aware of that but the Black Flag rumours circulating lately certainly wasn't announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Alactric

"We put a lot of money into those ship battles. We may as well get another game out of it."

Hell why not, they were easily the highlight of the game. Now. Sailing the high seas ala Wind Waker / Pirates! with real time boarding mechanics. That would be the best thing ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

As I said in the other thread about this I'm already on board. Sorry for the pun.

The naval missions were a real highlight in ACIII so I happy to see it return. More missions where you have to board other ships and explore islands will surely be there. I guess it is coming out on current-gen hardware which will be a shame. Unless they release it in Feb/March 2014 for next-gen and release Watch Dogs in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I actually loved the naval aspects of AC3, so i dont mind the idea.They just better end the story.Sick of it dragging on at this stage

I just read some more info on this game and there is a screenshot out there too.
    The main characters name is Edward Kenway, father of Haytham Kenway from Assassin's Creed 3.

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I just read some more info on this game and there is a screenshot out there too.

Link

They should start with the great grandfather of Edward, there can be twenty hours or so of boring mechanics. Followed by changing the mechanics with a new generation for the last five hours.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,309 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah I kind of felt like I was halfway through the game by the time it even really started, though I did like the storyline overall.

I was kind of hoping for a couple of smaller games as Connor before a full on AC4 comes out, like they did with Brotherhood & Revelations, but I guess that's not possible now that
    Desmond is dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,960 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah I kind of felt like I was halfway through the game by the time it even really started, though I did like the storyline overall.

I was kind of hoping for a couple of smaller games as Connor before a full on AC4 comes out, like they did with Brotherhood & Revelations, but I guess that's not possible now that
    Desmond is dead

It was certainly possible. Desmond's part in Revelations was so minor that it could pretty easily have been written out altogether and just had an Ezio/Altair game. Could definitely have just a Connor game.

Again, the series is just suffering from overkill and being rushed. New features or sections of gameplay don't change the fact that the story is being stretched wafer thin, and the core gameplay has barely changed in 4 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It'd be nice if the game managed to focus on actually assassinating people instead of managing farms and mansions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Ridley

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Desmond is dead

Would be surprised if
    Desmond didn't get uploaded to the Cloud one way or another

"Black Flag" seems to scream spin-off at the moment. Suppose it's already started with Liberation, but it would be a shame if the numbered titles stopped being used for moving the franchise forward.

Not that I'm against the spin-offs. Happy to spend more time in the world. Hell, I was hoping for a
    reveal that Haytham survived and the potential of a Assassin/Templar alliance
    would be the basis for the next Connor story and a further tease the modern day storyline. It just seemed that the
    Juno
    arc would be something for the next console generation. Assuming AC4 even bothers to address it considering the fillery Revelations and unsatisfying finish to AC3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

From Finishing AC3
    It gave me the impression that the Assassins were no more than a tool in that goddesses plans to take over the planet.SO the possibility of an Assassin/Templar alliance is possible. Haythem seemed to be the only one in AC3 that made sense and Connor was just an angry brat hell bent in revenge throughout the game.It would be interesting if they explored how Hatham had an assassins blade.Was he an assassin turned Templar or did he receive it from his father?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The aspect of building up a team of assassins wasn't exactly dealt with very well. I didn't even figure out how you do it until fairly far in the game.
    I think it was chapter ten before I remembered the Assassins. Going back for them now and still haven't trained them up enough for them to do missions. That happened to me with all of the assassin games though. I don't know why I keep forgetting them, they can be fairly useful.
    Penn wrote: »
    Again, the series is just suffering from overkill and being rushed. New features or sections of gameplay don't change the fact that the story is being stretched wafer thin, and the core gameplay has barely changed in 4 games.
    I don't see why they put so much effort into making a new game. the maps are so large they could base a cheap DLC in that map.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I reckon this'll be like GoW: Judgement. Consumer apathy will kill it, there won't be any more Ass Creed after this (thank god).

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cillo rs200

I actually loved the naval battles in AC3 so if this has more i'm probably in! Story wise it will probably be a convoluted mess. They could really do with taking a break for a while. AC games are getting really stale in my opinion. Also there's a map for the new game online now...

http://kotaku.com/5987172/the-other-side-of-that-supposed-assassins-creed-iv-poster-is-a-map

I am always amazed at the amount of negativity that the AC series is getting over the last few months. For me AC:III was one of the two best games of 2012. I will gladly buy and play a new AC game this year or early next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I still need to put some quality time into AC 3 and finally finish it. I hated Revelations and found AC 3 really boring (so far), I am intrigued by the Black Flag map and the Assassins symbols. Wonder what they are hinting at.

http://kotaku.com/5987172/the-other-side-of-that-supposed-assassins-creed-iv-poster-is-a-map

Seems like items ar hidden around the map.

Also Ubisoft said they will release more info Monday
    We will be announcing all the details of Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag on Monday March 4 at 6pm CET. Stay tuned for more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wish they would have taken a year off - I don't really see how they can make a really meaningful, polished improvement over its predecessor with such a tight turnaround (although its safe to assume they had a B-team working on this for a while). A full 'numbered' sequel just seems too soon - it will hopefully have enough new stuff to shake off the constant threat of over-familiarity this franchise flirts with.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Gamestop put up the cover art.

558137_10152570042845062_1299852407_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

So it's Assassins Creed 4 Arrrrrrr me hearty :confused:

So the devs are oblivious to the criticisms of previous games and insist on milking the franchise for all it's worth, really surprised this has IV in the title though, so maybe it will change, that said this close to the end of the current gen of consoles it reeks of throwing one together using the existing engine and tools to cash in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,960 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Anyone else foresee multiplayer naval battles?

calex71 wrote: »
    So the devs are oblivious to the criticisms of previous games and insist on milking the franchise for all it's worth, really surprised this has IV in the title though, so maybe it will change, that said this close to the end of the current gen of consoles it reeks of throwing one together using the existing engine and tools to cash in.
    I'm not going to make much of it being called 4, and not 3 something. It'll have a different main character, that's why it is 4. With 2, they made more games using Ezio, but decided against doing more out of 3. I was let down by 3, really. Was hoping for more from it. Am not going to get too optimistic about 4. Though it'll be summer before I get to try any of the Washington DLC.

• Advertisement

(although its safe to assume they had a B-team working on this for a while)

But if this is the same 'B' team that gave us AC: Brotherhood then bring it on.

Advertisement