Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

But if this is the same 'B' team that gave us AC: Brotherhood then bring it on.

Yeah but if it's the same B team that brought us Revelations, they can keep it!

Remember Assassins Creed 2? That was class!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

http://kotaku.com/5987529/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-is-the-next-assassins-creed-ubisoft-confirms-now-about-that
    Interesting read on the quandary that Kotaku found themselves the other day. Probably a talk for another thread but they were shown AC4:BF a few days ago and even though the tips flew in they found themselves in a difficult place with regard for those tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cillo rs200

Haythams (Sp?) dad is the protagonist. He was a pretty cool character so it might be good! although i am confused as to how he became a templar if his dad was an assassin. Unless that's a plot point, if it is it could be interesting actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Haythams (Sp?) dad is the protagonist. He was a pretty cool character so it might be good! although i am confused as to how he became a templar if his dad was an assassin. Unless that's a plot point, if it is it could be interesting actually.

Haythem was the only one who made sense in AC3

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cillo rs200

Agreed, Connor was a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Just got an e-mail from Ubisoft with a link to a site with the debut trailer. Will be up in 4 days.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

I didnt mind Revelations too much but obviously it was a patch on AC2 or Brotherhood. Still havent played AC3 yet. In fact havent played my PS3 in a year now due to it being on the other side of the planet!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,309 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Much rathered Revelations myself, they got rid of a lot of the pointless side missions and tasks that just pissed me off in Brotherhood. Story was better too.

Hope they get rid of the optional objectives in the next one. Turned some of the missions in 3 from enjoyable to hair pulling/controller throwing tedium.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Hope they get rid of the optional objectives in the next one. Turned some of the missions in 3 from enjoyable to hair pulling/controller throwing tedium.

I can see how that would be frustrating if you were trying to achieve 100% synch. I always give up on that once I fail the first optional objective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Ridley

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I love the setting. Probably will buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Ridley wrote: »

Looks awesome. Conor was boring compared to Ezio, Edward looks like a fun character which I think makes a big difference, especially because 2 and Brotherhood were so good. Altair stunk up Revelations :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

thorbarry wrote: »
    Looks awesome. Conor was boring compared to Ezio, Edward looks like a fun character which I think makes a big difference, especially because 2 and Brotherhood were so good. Altair stunk up Revelations :p

He looks like fun? He looks like a ruthless, bloodthirsty, psychopathic murderer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 280 ✭✭Yousef

So wait, they're actually going back in time?

That makes zero sense!

I thought the whole premise of the story was Desmond reliving past events to piece together the full picture of what it is he is supposed to be doing. Then why would they go back in time to Haythems father? Unless this is Haythems other son in the Caribbean during the 1800's, it's pretty much a throw-away title thrown together to squeeze what they can out of the franchise. And I suspect it is because Connor already buried the artifact and Desmond found it which concludes that no other assassin since the late 1700's had it in their hands and thus, no story. So yeah, this will probably be a branch off of sorts....

The pirate setting intrigues me but there are also so many other great settings to utilise such as the wild west (although RDR probably has that nailed down), Revolutionary France, Victorian London, the Russian overthrow of the Tzars and the fall into Communism, WW2.

I'd also say those graphics are next gen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Ridley

Yousef wrote: »
    So wait, they're actually going back in time?

That makes zero sense!

I thought the whole premise of the story was Desmond reliving past events to piece together the full picture of what it is he is supposed to be doing.

Since Desmond's story is more or less done, the franchise is pretty much freed up for however they want to
    deal with Juno being on the loose

Maybe it is time a mod removed the word 'rumoured' from the title.

Some pictures have linked.

jbrzr40OVIPeJh.jpg

There are more here.

Seems that they are sticking with a lot of elements from AC3,tree running,naval combat etc.Anyone know what the story is about?.From the pics it looks like it might have something to do with the Mayans or Aztec ruins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

http://kotaku.com/5987529/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-is-the-next-assassins-creed-ubisoft-confirms-now-about-that
    Interesting read on the quandary that Kotaku found themselves the other day. Probably a talk for another thread but they were shown AC4:BF a few days ago and even though the tips flew in they found themselves in a difficult place with regard for those tips.

comes with the territory. Know. About this one since November and couldn't acknowledge it to a soul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,109 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Assassins Creed + Pirates. If this isn't a fantastic game, then the dev's will have seriously screwed up!

Yes, it's probably too soon for another one, but it will be bought by the millions. The public did not like Connor, but thought the Naval bits were great. So they got rid of Connor and set the next game on the sea (more or less). Edward seems to be badass, so hopefully his character can live up to that. I'll be buying it anyway.

Funny that the video is up on YouTube but still not on the official site.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I've been trying to get back into AC3 this weekend and its just an exercise in frustration and tedium. Unless this new game actually has assassinations, functioning controls, and a usable interface I won't be buying.

I'm actually tempted to play the first game again just so I can actually do a proper assassination.

• Advertisement

Loads of details below and preview here:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/393645/previews/assassins-creed-4-black-flag-preview-charting-new-waters/
    • Freedom underpins everything in Assassin's Creed 4.
    • There are eight studios working on the game. Ubisoft Montreal is leading, with Singapore, Sofia, Annecy, Kiev, Quebec, Bucharest, and Montpellier assisting.
    • AC4 is set in the West Indies in 1715, the world is totally seamless.
    • There are 50 unique locations including cities, jungles, ruins, coves, and caves, all with hidden treasure and adventure.
    • You can harpoon whales, go diving, and loot ships
    • There will be proper assassinations with targets that you choose how to approach and take out.
    • You'll fight against, and alongside, infamous brigands like Edward 'Blackbeard' Teach, Benjamin Hornigold, Calico Jack, and Anne Bonny.
    • Major cities include Kingston and Havana, and there'll be dozens of smaller settlements and port towns scattered around the world to explore and pick up missions from.
    • The new hero is Edward Kenway - father of AC3's Haytham. He is selfish, cocky, and charismatic.
    • Edward owns his own ship, the Jackdaw. It can be upgraded, repaired, and customised, and you can manage her crew.
    • As you sail the high seas you can climb the crow's nest and use a spyglass to search for ships on the horizon. This tells you how strong they are and what cargo they're hauling
    • Weather and physics will play a larger role in naval combat
    • There are different classes of enemy ship, including 'chargers' who'll try and ram you and shatter your hull.
    • There aren't any interruptions in the transition between naval combat and boarding a ship
    • You can approach ships from any angle, weaken them with your cannons, then attach grapples to pull them towards you and storm the deck. Or swim around the back unnoticed and slit the captain's throat for the stealth-loving players.
    • Instead of Desmond, the modern day is centered around you, a 'research analysts' working at Abstergo and living out the past Edward Kenway,
    • Many of the multiplayer modes from previous games will return
    • It all looks fantastic. The waves are especially impressive, tossing ships around as lightning streaks across the sky.
    • Footage shown was likely running on a development PC
    • Ubisoft are planning an 'enhanced' PlayStation 4 version that will make use of the new controller, and have much better visuals

As much as I didn't enjoy AC 3 and hated Revelations, this actually sounds good. Most promising point for me is "There will be proper assassinations with targets that you choose how to approach and take out". Hopefully this means the 100% sync objectives are gone. Hands down the worst addition to the series so far besides bombs. Don't get me started on 100% sync goals that required you to use bombs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,960 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Depending on the release date of the PS4 over here, I might actually wait and get it on that. Admittedly, AC3 has shaken my faith in the series somewhat.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I hated so many of those 100% sync targets, they were ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

He looks like fun? He looks like a ruthless, bloodthirsty, psychopathic murderer.

Negative. He is selfish, cocky, and charismatic, apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

So is he a templar or an assassin?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

ScumLord wrote: »
    Clearly a Templar Assassin (so selfish, cocky etc. to the templars and ruthless pshyopath to the rest of the world as an assasin)!

Nody wrote: »
    Clearly a Templar Assassin (so selfish, cocky etc. to the templars and ruthless pshyopath to the rest of the world as an assasin)!

Interesting to see it from the Templar perspective.He looks like Desmond,Altair and Ezio so it will b interesting to see why someone in the bloodline switched to the Templars side.Who is this research analyst?An relative to Desmond i wonder?

ScumLord wrote: »

Surely he is an Assassin if he is Haytham's father. They said in ACIII that
    Haytham was an Assassin who switched to be a Templar. It is unlikely that Haytham was raised as a Templar; became an Assassin and then turned back again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

See the cool manly stubble? I predict an angsty grimdark twist like Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. Christ, I hope I'm wrong. Currently playing through AC3 and being thoroughly underwhelmed.

Advertisement