Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

ConFurioso wrote: »
    This is quite enjoyable so far. The setting is gorgeous and it's just a bit more fun than the serious history lesson that was AC3. One thing that really annoyed me about the past games was the tutorials just appearing in the top right corner with small text. Sometimes I missed important points or moves. AC4 gives proper explanations. Also, so far no superfluous weapons.

The naval battles can be tough, but I enjoy them. Also it seems like you can upgrade your ship a **** load. So far, so good.

Is it a hollow world or a world full of life?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Is this worth getting lads?i'm probably the only one on Boards who actually enjoyed AC3.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

Fairly certain I heard someone singing a song about bantry bay and some irish words, I was a bit busy fleeing at the time to stop and enjoy it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

CSSE09 wrote: »
    Fairly certain I heard someone singing a song about bantry bay and some irish words, I was a bit busy fleeing at the time to stop and enjoy it :D

I read you meet a famous irish pirate so very well could be. Ah mad to play it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

CSSE09 wrote: »

there's loads of irish guys in it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Is it a hollow world or a world full of life?

Also would like to know. A good world and I'm basically sold.

danthefan wrote: »

less pedestrians current gen, feels a bit fuller next gen and i assume for PC (which i havent played)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

danthefan wrote: »

Same here,I was watching a play through today and I wasn't sold by it tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

Its certainly different from other AC games. So far, I'm enjoying the world. Havana is so much better than New York or Boston. Even on a purely aesthitical level. Lots of things to do, collectables, hunting, and a bucket load of piracy. You really have to pick your battles with this actually. If you get swarmed in the open sea you're pretty fecked.

It has a little bit of an episodic nature to it so far, and perhaps that's more to do with the tutorial aspect of the parts I've played. Its reminded me a tad bit of brotherhood in this respect.

The world is vast, and hugely open. I wonder if this could get tedious later on, but there is the fast travel feature.

I can't really get away from it to be honest, and I can't wait to play some more tomorrow. I suppose that speaks volumes, as I could have dome without AC3, and haven't enjoyed my first sit down with an AC game this much since brotherhood.

Also, its seriously gorgeous. There's a ,moment when you reach a cliff side when infiltrating Great Iguana island. Waterfalls, rainbows, blue skies, green forests. Lovely.

Also, the soundtrack is great so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,109 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Seeing as the picture didn't load properly for me earlier on, i'll post it again. ANd i've been playing solid since 9am. And i've 8.6% done... Massive improvement over AC3. I'm really enjoying everything, and Edward is a way better character than Connor. Naval battles are awesome, and the world is HUUUUUUUGE!

i08h.jpg

• Advertisement

Is that the collectors edition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Reviews are good.

Am I missing anything by not playing AC3?

I have 1,2 & BH is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

kaimera wrote: »
    Reviews are good.

Am I missing anything by not playing AC3?

I have 1,2 & BH is all.

I don't think you're missing anything by skipping any of them really. Up to 3 they all improved on each other (imo), I didn't play 3 but it seems to be less well received than some of the previous games.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm sticking this into my "steam sale" list as I never bothered finishing 3 (mostly because of AC fatigue, I had ran through Brotherhood and Revelations before 3 was released). I'm glad it's being well received though, I have a soft spot for these games and the universe they've created.

Is that the collectors edition?

Aye, Edward figurine, Art Book, 2 postcard size pictures, a crap load of DLC, fancy box, and GameStop gave me a notebook with a suede/leather cover with AC4 on it.

Just outta bed and i'm planning on spending another full day at it, might get it up to 20%!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The PS exclusive bonus content is gonna stay exclusive and will not be coming to other platforms ever.
    Although platform exclusive content often comes to other systems after a limited period of exclusivity, the Assassin’s Creed publisher told Eurogamer that’s not the case this time.

The hour of extra levels starring Aveline, first seen in Vita title Assassin’s Creed: Liberation, will only ever be available on PlayStation 3 and PS4, Ubisoft said.

More explicitly, a representative told Joystiq that “the PS exclusive DLC isn’t planned for Xbox 360/Xbox One”.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/10/30/assassins-creed-4-playstation-exclusives-not-coming-to-other-platforms/

Aye, Edward figurine, Art Book, 2 postcard size pictures, a crap load of DLC, fancy box, and GameStop gave me a notebook with a suede/leather cover with AC4 on it.

Just outta bed and i'm planning on spending another full day at it, might get it up to 20%!

Ah you can only get it in gamestop is it? I have some edition on order from amazon that I can't remember the name of lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Man this is an awesome game, and with two trade ins i got it for a mere 20 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭LauraW7746

Ah you can only get it in gamestop is it? I have some edition on order from amazon that I can't remember the name of lol.

I think you have the skull edition preordered same as me.
    Its the same thing except

Skull edition has big steel book

The Buccaneer edition comes with the figure and an extra single player mission

All other items are the same i think. Buccaneer edition on PS4 is 99 in GS.

One thing that always struck me about assassin's creed is how easy the series is.

But I've died trying to storm a fort...in a storm because of a rouge wave, and because it kicked the **** out of my boat. I need to upgrade it.

I died whilst trying to board a galleon, in sword combat. I need to upgrade me armour.

I died trying to hunt a great white (the animation of it lunging mouth open at my dingy was brilliantly ****ty pants inducing). I need to upgrade my harpoons and dingy.

What does this all mean? Ubisoft seem to have discovered a reason for people to earn money, a problem which plagued moneybags Ezio.

It forces me to explore, assassinate, and be a bloody pirate so I can do it all over again against tougher foes.

Side note: thought I had easy prey last night. Spotted a Spanish galleon by its lonesome in the middle of a storm. Engaged it. Took far too long to take him out, so re-enforcements showed up, including a hunter ship (bounty ships that hunt you based on your noteriety, a nice idea).

Long story short, I was chased back to Gran Cayman by a frikin armada, sails tattered and wood splintered. Managed to lose them, but lost most of my crew. :p

• Advertisement

Don't think so. There was 4 editions available for Europe, and i got the Buccaneer Edition. Really wanted the Black Chest edition, but that was only available for preorder on the Ubi website, which is out of stock. And they're been sold for £260 now on eBay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Some side by side, I thought it was PS4 vs Xbox ONE for a minute and was flabbergasted but turns out it's PS4 vs 360. Go full screen and HD.

The ONE version should be similar, but this gives a good account of current vs next gen.

Different scene show off more than others, and later on for the sea battle you can see a load of light and water effects with the rain (mist too) on the deck (not there on current gen). The foliage is also big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm curious as to why Eurogamer felt the need to point out that new technology is better than old technology. That said, it does look great on PS4.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Varik wrote: »
    Some side by side, I thought it was PS4 vs Xbox ONE for a minute and was flabbergasted but turns out it's PS4 vs 360. Go full screen and HD.

The ONE version should be similar, but this gives a good account of current vs next gen.

Different scene show off more than others, and later on for the sea battle you can see a load of light and water effects with the rain (mist too) on the deck (not there on current gen). The foliage is also big difference.

Interesting that ship battles might be easier on current gen because they don't have as much effects getting in the way.

doesn't exactly scream "this hardware is 8 years newer than that hardware" does it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

COYVB wrote: »
    doesn't exactly scream "this hardware is 8 years newer than that hardware" does it

Crossgen titles won't be the best for comparisons from what I understand. Will be interesting to see how much of a difference there is, when they are developing with just Next gen and high end PCs in mind next time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

COYVB wrote: »

There is a big leap in specs between the new and old. You simply can't demonstrate this with a cross platform game....for this very reason. You have to build a game that will run on the lowest common denominator.....and therefore can't take advantage of the superior hardware.

This has always been the case. In about two years time when 360 and ps3 have been phased out, we will see much prettier cross platform games on the "next-gen". And obviously exclusives will be even prettier than any cross platformer.

Games like Mario Galaxy, the Last of Us, etc. were the prettiest games on their respective consoles because they were solely tweaked for ONE hardware and software configuration....not two or three. It makes a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Whatever the graphics they dont actually matter when it comes down to it, but this game is fantastic fun and quite challenging.

Fun is a great word to describe this game.

I mean, yes, there's a story there, seemingly about freedom in the golden age of piracy, and Edward trying to balance his want for glory with the pesky assassin morals.

The episodic nature tends to fragment then story in assassin's creed games, so its not exactly solid so far, but I'm interested enough in it to play on. But, fun fun fun is where its at, story be damned.

I feel I may have overcome the difficulty hump and upgraded wisely, as I'm finding the naval battles much easier now, and it was satisfying to do this. Kicking ass on the open seas as your crew sing seas shanties and a random whale jumps out is brilliant fun.

One thing I suppose most people gloss over is the present day aspect. The trips into the Abstergo offices are infrequent so far, and interesting enough, with one or two familiar faces (I've generally had no problems with Desmond in the previous games though, so perhaps this is why).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The more I hear about this, the more I want to get it but the launch titles for ps4 are fairly bad so holding out for the next gen version just to have a fancy next gen game to play (even if both versions are more or less the same)

Advertisement