Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New xbox drm and blocks used games

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

These rumours don't seem to be going away but it'd be suicide for Microsoft to do this with Sony going the other way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Always. Go. To. The. Source.

http://www.mcvindia.com/news/read/ian-livingstone-talks-next-gen-hints-at-always-on-used-game-blocking-xbox/0111409
    “With the next Xbox, you supposedly have to have an internet connection, and the discs are watermarked, whereby once played on one console it won’t play on another. So I think the generation after that will be digital-only.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

PS4 will require a new "licence" for used games. Announced the day after the main event....

cgarrad wrote: »
    PS4 will require a new "licence" for used games. Announced the day after the main event....

Really? Where?

Really? Where?

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/21/yoshida-used-games-caveat/

Far from 100% but the hate loosing money to the second hand market...

• Advertisement

cgarrad wrote: »
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/21/yoshida-used-games-caveat/

Far from 100% but the hate loosing money to the second hand market...
    I think they would hate to lose the majority of the market more.

Waiting for Xbox to make a move....

Yeah it might be a case of who blinks first. Developers want this, I don't doubt that Microsoft and Sony do too but if one of them goes with it, it gives the other a massive advantage if they don't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think it's more publishers that want it not developers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You can't really blame them for wanting this, with how the likes of Gamestop are taking advantage of the 2nd hand market. It was always only a matter of time before someone did something to stop, or at least curb how much money they make from trade ins. Online passes were the 1st step, but it seems like Sony / Microsoft want it stopped altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think it's more publishers that want it not developers.

Nail on the head. Devs will get their money but it's the publishers that need to max out their profit on the games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I on the other hand think it's just publishers being greedy. What they want to do just punishes customers when they have a problem with Gamestop and even still the second hand market is something publishers need to accept and not go blame and punishing customers when a company does something that they were well within their rights to do. There's a reason that copyright holders not being able to profit from the second hand sale of a copy of a copyrighted work is written into copyright law, to stop ridiculous profiteering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I always found it silly that they want to hurt the likes of gamestop yet they give them exclusive pre order content.

Taken away used games isnt going to see an increase of sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I always found it silly that they want to hurt the likes of gamestop yet they give them exclusive pre order content.

Taken away used games isnt going to see an increase of sales.

It probably will actually. I know plenty of people who walk into a shop with 50 quid and buy 4 of 5 used games. These guys won't stop buying games.....they will merely have to buy one game new instead. Victory for the publisher as 80% of 1 game sale is alot more than 0% of 5 games. It's a shortsighted move longterm but you can understand their logic.

I very rarely, if ever, buy used so it really doesnt effect me much. If I buy a game digitally or store bought, it's brand new.

I want my money to go to the people that made the game, even by proxy. The store had no hand in it. They already take their cut. I find the fact that they get 100% from second hand sales abhorrent. I might not agree with how the publishers go about battling it, but I understand their desire to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Always. Go. To. The. Source.

http://www.mcvindia.com/news/read/ian-livingstone-talks-next-gen-hints-at-always-on-used-game-blocking-xbox/0111409
    “With the next Xbox, you supposedly have to have an internet connection, and the discs are watermarked, whereby once played on one console it won’t play on another. So I think the generation after that will be digital-only.”

I'd hope there's a way of sorting out issues regarding consoles that become faulty. He could be confusing console with xbox account?

I'd hope there's a way of sorting out issues regarding consoles that become faulty. He could be confusing console with xbox account?
    The "supposedly" as in, that is what the rumours have been saying. Not that's what'll happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I don't overly have a problem with this tbh, I never buy 2nd hand and if it means taking the wind out of gamestop's sh1tty business practices then good. The profit they make on 2nd games is insane, anyway I don't see the point in buying 2nd hand at all, games get so cheap a few months after release these days online whats the point in paying a few quid less for some disc that someone had their grubby hands all over? Look at something like Hitman, its half the price it was on release now most places online.
    I was in there the other day and they had a copy of Dead Space 3 there new for 54.99 and used for 49.99, why would you bother for the sake of a fiver? sealed copy with any dlc intact or used one without.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

If they will do this, then they lost next gen console war already.

As PC gamed I am used to buy new games and having no way of trade in them, but your average console Joe is not. Publishers will love Xbox, gamers will love Xbox. I wonder which one will win in the end... Unless MS will get some really really really good exclusives IPs, but I doubt halo will save them this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If they will do this, then they lost next gen console war already.

If they did then it'll just have set a new Status quo for consoles. Sony's comments have been sparse on this, they've said that the games will work but whose games and in what manner; online passes are not a system wide feature for the consoles but most games have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Varik wrote: »
    If they did then it'll just have set a new Status quo for consoles. Sony's comments have been sparse on this, they've said that the games will work but whose games and in what manner; online passes are not a system wide feature for the consoles but most games have them.

I am 100% sure teu said that you can play used games on ps4. Someone from Sony was asked directly and he gave clear answer. Sorry, I can't find the link to it.

Though I have to agree, they can rephrase and make playing used games ( then says in very quiet voice ), terms and conditions apply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Well that's just stupid. What happens if your Xbox breaks down? Buy the game again?

I would imagine itd be registered to your gamer tag. That would make more sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

SUPPOSEDLY

No substance to this at all, just more repeating the rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Seamus Aran

Kirby wrote: »
    It probably will actually. I know plenty of people who walk into a shop with 50 quid and buy 4 of 5 used games. These guys won't stop buying games.....they will merely have to buy one game new instead. Victory for the publisher as 80% of 1 game sale is alot more than 0% of 5 games.

That only holds true if those people think they're getting as much value out of that one new game as they would four or five used ones. They probably don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I am 100% sure teu said that you can play used games on ps4. Someone from Sony was asked directly and he gave clear answer. Sorry, I can't find the link to it.

Though I have to agree, they can rephrase and make playing used games ( then says in very quiet voice ), terms and conditions apply.

they came out later and said they're leaving it up to publishers to decide whether or not to block preownd games

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pre-owned-games-block-on-ps4-is-a-publisher-decision/0111344

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It probably will actually. I know plenty of people who walk into a shop with 50 quid and buy 4 of 5 used games. These guys won't stop buying games.....they will merely have to buy one game new instead. Victory for the publisher as 80% of 1 game sale is alot more than 0% of 5 games. It's a shortsighted move longterm but you can understand their logic.

I imagine people would switch to buying games when Amazon/whoever were doing a sale. Or waiting for price drops. What would be very interesting would be the drop in new game purchases by people who only can afford their rate of buying by finishing games quickly and selling them on second hand to get 50% or whatever of the cost back.

I'd love to see sales breakdowns for games full price versus sales price for PCs but Valve don't release those kinds of figures to the public. :(

I trade games, nearly every game I trade in goes towards the purchase of new releases. If you take that ability away, I'm going to be buying less new releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

IF this whole thing goes ahead im betting there will be some form of unlock feature that you need to pay for

May well just be an extended version of the online pass, which I think already strikes a fair balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

VinLieger wrote: »
    IF this whole thing goes ahead im betting there will be some form of unlock feature that you need to pay for

As a parallel, on PCs with Steam, you can only trade games you've never played. All played games are locked to your account. Giving your account to someone else, either freely or by sale can get your account banned by the T&C (though I don't think they actually do this actively and it only comes up if I sell my account to you, hand over the details and you never pay and they just lock the account rather than returning it to me).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I very rarely, if ever, buy used so it really doesnt effect me much. If I buy a game digitally or store bought, it's brand new.

I want my money to go to the people that made the game, even by proxy. The store had no hand in it. They already take their cut. I find the fact that they get 100% from second hand sales abhorrent. I might not agree with how the publishers go about battling it, but I understand their desire to.

If people like yourself didn't exist, then the rest of us couldn't get second hand bargains.

Keep up the good work! :pac:

Advertisement