Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New xbox drm and blocks used games

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

gizmo wrote: »
    Why would the comments of the Creative Director of MS Games Studios be of any relevance?
    He's a high level Microsoft employee. Why wouldn't his comments be relevant? :confused:
    He has absolutely no bearing on whether or not the the console ships with such an always online requirement.
    Sorry, how do you know this? I would have expected someone with the title of "Creative Director" would have some input into decisions made.
    He's also completely entitled to his opinion either way, doubly so when he's not making anything resembling an official statement.
    Who said he wasn't? And I'm entitled to my opinion, as is everyone who thinks his opinion is condescending and ill-informed.
    Nevermind the fact that he wasn't talking to you, he was having a bit of banter with a friend in a different studio.
    He said it openly on a public platform, saying he wasn't talking to me personally is beyond foolish now.
    However, the ****storm that it has lead to online is precisely the reason why so few employees will ever actually come out and talk about either their own work or work of others. Companies know damn well how such opinions are taken up by the press and gamers at this stage and employees know how companies will react if they do talk more openly. Instead we're left with the usual PR bull**** and utterly unsubstantiated rumours from various "sources". :(

How about I turn that around and say I'm glad there's a ****storm. I'm glad people are pissed off and are speaking out about being insulted. I would be a lot more concerned if people completely brushed this under the carpet as some people are trying to do for reasons that make absolutely no sense to me. Some people will take all sorts of **** and eat it up. I'm glad the majority here are not "dealing with it".
    He said we should "Deal with it" when talking about DRM. I can deal with it just fine by not buying anything this clown has anything to do with. I can deal with it by buying a PS.

As far as I'm concerned he needs to be fired immediately. He's a clown, and only by firing him can Microsoft make any reparations for one of their employees insulting their customers in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Bull****, in any line of work what he did was out of order. If I was working in a pharmaceutical comapny you wouldn't see me harping on about drugs failing clinical trials or if I was a student bad mouthing students on twitter. It's his own stupid fault considering he probably signed a big NDA not to talk about the new XBoc until announcement. He signed a legal contract, he broke it, he deserves to get fired.
    What? We are still talking about these tweets and these ones, right?

Based on that, he didn't break any NDA, didn't talk about the new XBox and most certainly doesn't deserve to get fired for it. He gave his personal opinion on a subject which is being discussed on a whole bunch of sites on different levels, from console to individual games. What he could be fired over is the ****storm that followed as both gaming and non-gaming sites used the exchange as some sort of proof that such a feature is more likely going to be in the next XBox.

As an aside, there's also these tweets also from both people involved which wanted to add context. I'm sure people won't believe them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Bull****, in any line of work what he did was out of order. If I was working in a pharmaceutical comapny you wouldn't see me harping on about drugs failing clinical trials or if I was a student bad mouthing students on twitter. It's his own stupid fault considering he probably signed a big NDA not to talk about the new XBoc until announcement. He signed a legal contract, he broke it, he deserves to get fired.

It would be more like if you worked in the pharmaceutical industry and made a twitter post about not understanding the fuss about drug patents versus generic drugs to wind up your friend who thinks all drugs should be patent free and you got fired over it.

What is sad is that this is still a story. Some day I hope gamers start to act like adults and can just accept that someone has a point of view and is free to express that in their own spare time with their friends without the risk of getting fired.

This wasn't an official MS twitter account, to think a company could fire some one over this is sad. What is worse is that this guy is actually a pretty decent bloke and the ass hats like the nasty prick Jim sterling are whipping this non story up into a tabloid witch hunt that could cost him his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

As an aside, there's also these tweets also from both people involved which wanted to add context. I'm sure people won't believe them though.

I don't. The "I was trolling my friends excuse" is only slightly more believable in the pantheon of excuses that "than the dog ate my homework" and an embarrassment coming from someone over the age of 12. The idiocy of the false equivalences alone should be grounds for termination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It would be more like if you worked in the pharmaceutical industry and made a twitter post about not understanding the fuss about drug patents versus generic drugs.

What is sad is that this is still a story. Some day I hope gamers start to act like adults and can just accept that someone has a point of view and is free to express that in their own spare time without the risk of getting fired.

This wasn't an official twitter account, to think a company could fire some one over this is sad. What is worse is that this guy is actually a pretty decent bloke and the ass hats like the nasty prick Jim sterling are whipping this non story up into a tabloid witch hunt that could cost him his job.

I am a chef, so i could put this to my twitter so:

"I dont get it, why the feck people are so pissed off with chips tossed on the floor for few seconds, then deep friend. People should just get over it and shut up about it".

When you work for any company, you got a responsibility to think, before you talk. He is not some sort of burger flipper in some chipper too. He is a BIG CHEESE in BIG company. Specially when it is a sensitive topic.

Then again, I would not be surprised if it is free publicity stunt. Negative publicity is publicity too. Just with a few twitter lines all gaming world remembered that there is a new gen xbox coming. soon... soonish... Then MS comes out and says: BOOM! No full time online connectivity needed, we told you, we are AWESOME!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It would be more like if you worked in the pharmaceutical industry and made a twitter post about not understanding the fuss about drug patents versus generic drugs to wind up your friend who thinks all drugs should be patent free and you got fired over it.

What is sad is that this is still a story. Some day I hope gamers start to act like adults and can just accept that someone has a point of view and is free to express that in their own spare time with their friends without the risk of getting fired.

This wasn't an official MS twitter account, to think a company could fire some one over this is sad. What is worse is that this guy is actually a pretty decent bloke and the ass hats like the nasty prick Jim sterling are whipping this non story up into a tabloid witch hunt that could cost him his job.

I think you're being extremely naive. The guy is a high level MS employee, he has to take responsibility for his output. If you paint the company in a bad light, then you suffer the consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

riclad wrote: »
    IF ms are smart ,they, ll leave things as they are ,
    ie if i want to play games online ,i pay for xbox live.
    Maybe more companys will charge ten dollars , if you wanna play game x ,online,
    THE usa is in a patent war at the moment, tech company,s are taking out patents as a defensive measure.
    Most patents are never used on consumer products, or, they are sold on to
    other companys.

IF THIS came in ,many people would just use the 360 console,or a pc.
    Theres load,s of good games still being released ,on ps3, or 360.
    OR leave it up to the publisher s discretion,
    I don,t think ms is stupid enough to do this.

Microsoft are a lot smarter than you or anyone of us. Why? Because they have endless amounts of data that will allow them to fairly accurately understand how this will impact their bottom line.

As for Sony saying that they will leave it to the discretion of third parties? That is a fairly big cop out and if anyone really believes that the likes of EA or Activision won't do it, you would be very naive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

"I dont get it, why the feck people are so pissed off with chips tossed on the floor for few seconds, then deep friend. People should just get over it and shut up about

Now I have taken your quote out of the context it was posted in. Now it looks like this is a statement you have just made.

Imagine I now wrote an article saying your company is introducing a new policy to cook food that has been on the floor. And claimed i will never eat there again and demanded that their chef should be fired.

Would you think it was fair if you got fired over that? Of course not it would be ridiculous to look for you to lose your job.

He should get a meeting on monday morning where MS say dude be mindfull of what you post on twitter as the Internet is full of idiots that love nothing more than to get worked up over nothing.

Now I have taken your quote out of the context it was posted in. Now it looks like this is a statement you have just made.

Imagine I now wrote an article saying your company is introducing a new policy to cook food that has been on the floor. And claimed i will never eat there again and demanded that their chef should be fired.

Would you think it was fair if you got fired over that? Of course not it would be ridiculous to look for you to lose your job.

He should get a meeting on monday morning where MS say dude be mindfull of what you post on twitter as the Internet is full of idiots that love nothing more than to get worked up over nothing.

If i would have posted that in the first place, I should be fired anyway. If i would be employer and my worker would say it, he would be fired.

And thats just a restaurant. Imagine multy billion company? that fella should be fecked out and there are no excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

taytothief wrote: »
    He's a high level Microsoft employee. Why wouldn't his comments be relevant? :confused:
    Because he's only worked there a little bit over a year in a creative capacity and was previously a Senior Game Designer at Popcap. He's not the kind of person whose opinion I'd be interested in if I was trying to gauge whether a company is going to make such a massive platform move in the near future. This information has been left out of nearly every article I've seen and his position of "Creative Director" has, as a result, seemed all the more important because of it.

If Don Mattrick or Phil Spencer said something such as this in an actual interview, then I'd pay attention.
    Who said he wasn't? And I'm entitled to my opinion, as is everyone who thinks his opinion is condescending and ill-informed.
    Sorry, I should have been clearer. I feel he is entitled to his opinion but that said opinion can be different from that of the company he works for and treated as such. To reiterate, my issue here is how his comments have been used as any kind of meaningful indication of MS policy and the repercussions of such, not that he was in any way correct in what he said. As it happens, I completely agree with your take on that.
    He said it openly on a public platform, saying he wasn't talking to me personally is beyond foolish now.
    I was referring to your comment about "Being spoken to like an unintelligent child".
    How about I turn that around and say I'm glad there's a ****storm. I'm glad people are pissed off and are speaking out about being insulted. I would be a lot more concerned if people completely brushed this under the carpet as some people are trying to do for reasons that make absolutely no sense to me. Some people will take all sorts of **** and eat it up. I'm glad the majority here are not "dealing with it".
    He said we should "Deal with it" when talking about DRM. I can deal with it just fine by not buying anything this clown has anything to do with. I can deal with it by buying a PS.
    I'd be happier if people just waited until they officially announced it, ripped them a proverbial new one for it, didn't pre-order the bloody thing and then utterly ignored it on release.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

AFAIK Microsoft Studios is run as if it was pretty much an entirely separate company. A creative director there wouldn't be any more in the know about the next Xbox than somebody at any other game company.

IMHO his comments should be interpreted as comments on the current rumours, rather than comments based on any insider knowledge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Cant say I am surprised at all. We have seen publishers pushing to bring an end to the second hand market for PC Games for years now, and their intention has seemingly been to eradicate the practice entirely across all platforms. Now that the technology is available they will try to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

tech was always available to do it on console, i dont know why it didnt happen sooner.

Cd keys......its worked on PC for 13 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

dreamers75 wrote: »
    tech was always available to do it on console, i dont know why it didnt happen sooner.

cd keys work? lol

idk if you were being funny :-\

dreamers75 wrote: »

I honestly don't know wtf CD key has to do with always online console.

Anyway, I just wish Microsoft just get finger out and just announce the fecking thing. Rumour mill gets freaking annoying at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Talk of it being quite expensive now, with cheaper subscription model also coming. This thing just sounds less and less attractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

All this rumour & speculation is really making me think twice about the next Xbox as a purchase. As it stands, I'm very much inclined to look at the next Playstation...Sony seem to be getting a lot of high praise with the architecture etc. MS badly need to release some solid info

EnterNow wrote: »
    All this rumour & speculation is really making me think twice about the next Xbox as a purchase. As it stands, I'm very much inclined to look at the next Playstation...Sony seem to be getting a lot of high praise with the architecture etc. MS badly need to release some solid info

I am pretty much sold on Sony too. Just one thing that bothers me. Sony's bull**** campaigns. I remember they showed off all fancy ps3 games on ps vita and in reality we got feck all. Only able to play psone games, which now you can play from machine it self. They are pushing it had now too, but will they do it properly this time? anything those 2 companies promise, should be taken with a feck truck load of salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

EnterNow wrote: »
    MS badly need to release some solid info

Do they? Why?

They will release info over the next month or two, long before either console is due for release.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It's possibly a little early to be making any decisions about which to get. Literally everything we know on Microsoft's side is rumour, and even the Sony stuff is still very light on detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Do they? Why?

They will release info over the next month or two, long before either console is due for release.

Because all this negative speculation isnt doing them any favours especially now sony have let the cat out of the bag. IF they come out now and tell us yes its gonna be always online then by the time E3 comes around alot of the big talk over that will be over and they can get around to hyping it.
    IF they wait till E3 then of course all anyone will be talking about during E3 is gonna be the always online thing, if indeed that is the way they are going which by all accounts it does seem to be, several websites are citing sources, who should know if it is true or not, as being pretty certain about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Do they? Why?

Because peoples opinions are starting to get coloured by rumour & Chinese whispers. Its fine if your an avid reader of the whole thing & you stay up to date, but lots of peoples arn't & you can see the damage of that on this thread alone. MS are taking a battering from the rumour mill, they should set some things straight {assuming the rumours are incorrect!}

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Do they? Why?

MS will announce it on May 21st, put back form April 24th. Currently both consoles are due for a world wide launch in November. Currently the next Xbox will be called just Xbox. It will have a price point of $500 for the premium model and $300 for the basic console.

Sony more or less have the guts of their info out now. All they need to fix up are games and the new PSN service and pirce for everything.

MS, we don't know specs at all. What the controller looks like, games, prices.

Right now it looks like Sony have this and MS are helping them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

MS, we don't know specs at all.

There's a fair idea of what the Durango specs are. Seems similar in power to the PS4 but has worse RAM and is slightly less streamlined. There's big threads on it on NeoGAF. Same as the way the PS4 specs were well enough known before the announcement, just the 8GB RAM took everyone by surprise.

I think Sony look to be building momentum, I haven't read anything negative really about the PS4 yet and the always-on thing is really not good for MS.

Also, the PS3 took an absolute hammering due to the price on release, if MS release the Xbox at $500 and the PS4 is cheaper then I reckon Sony could really take a lead. But who knows. The PS4 is obviously going to win in Japan and probably Europe too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

It will have a price point of $500 for the premium model and $300 for the basic console.
    rumours, rather than fact that is.

"reports suggest"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I've been out of the loop for the last week or so, but I can still only find rumours online. Has anything actually been comfirmed or denied yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

deathrider wrote: »
    I've been out of the loop for the last week or so, but I can still only find rumours online. Has anything actually been comfirmed or denied yet?

No, do you think people would be acting this erratically and having melt downs if there were hard facts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

tuxy wrote: »
    No, do you think people would be acting this erratically and having melt downs if there were hard facts?

Well, pretty much, yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF a console has to check online, when it s being installed or played ,
    it would be a disaster ,
    it would reduce the no of xbox users.
    Even in ireland many people have slow internet,or just use usb modems,
    eg meteor , o2.
    IF you want to play games online ,you ,ll have xbox live, an online connection anyway.
    There,s others ways to stop piracy ,other than online drm.
    IT,S ridiculous to make an online check ,or drm, necessary for single player games.

Some people can afford a console ,but not a fast broadband connection.
    I think the console will be very similar to the ps4,
    maybe with less ram, with kinect built in,to every console.
    at least 100gig ,hd , it,ll Probably require games to be installed on the hardrive.

I just play single player games ,i connected the console ,twice to broadband ,for 5 minutes,to
    get updates for MW3.

IF company x wants online drm, for its game,.
    i wont buy the game.
    The ps4 looks great, but it could be like the ps3.
    overpriced, at launch, eg 500 euros, plus.

I,M not impressed by microsoft pricing at present,
    eg windows phone and tablets, 400 euros plus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

danthefan wrote: »
    There's a fair idea of what the Durango specs are. Seems similar in power to the PS4 but has worse RAM and is slightly less streamlined. There's big threads on it on NeoGAF. Same as the way the PS4 specs were well enough known before the announcement, just the 8GB RAM took everyone by surprise.

I think Sony look to be building momentum, I haven't read anything negative really about the PS4 yet and the always-on thing is really not good for MS.

Also, the PS3 took an absolute hammering due to the price on release, if MS release the Xbox at $500 and the PS4 is cheaper then I reckon Sony could really take a lead. But who knows. The PS4 is obviously going to win in Japan and probably Europe too.

Well despite its start, ultimately the PS3 won globally too. The Xbox has sold more units, but there are more PS3 owners due to the high failure rate of Xbox 360s meaning multiple purchases for an extremely high percentage of owners

Advertisement