Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to source second hand washing machines

Options
  • 26-02-2013 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all first of all i work as a washing machine repair man for an appliance repair company in Cork .My problem is i am getting grief off my boss for under charging customers as i cant justify his call out charges etc , and its me who has to say it to the customer , and im the one getting the backlash over his prices so ive come up with the idea of going self employed and quit my job. My idea was to sell reconditioned appliances but ive tried every avenue ie civic amnity sites in locating broken machines but to no avail, does any one have any ideas where i could pick up machines i would be most grateful for replies etc Thanks .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi madmax79, I think your question is better suited to this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The likes of donedeal and gumtree would have secondhand machines that you should be able to get cheap. The local free newspapers might be worth scanning regularly. Or else try http://www.freetradeireland.ie/

Now you're working for yourself, don't undersell your services. You have expenses so you need to make a decent profit on everything you do to survive.

Good luck to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bustersdad

keep an eye on i.bidder a uk auction site which sells returns and liquidated stock,
    there are regular white goods auctions ,you can pick them up still wrapped, with manufacturers guarantee,for as little as 30 yoyos
    also john pye,failing that theres a huge warehouse in Birmingham that sell them,not sure where exactly...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RedRockets

Where does your boss find them at the moment ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭aman23

theres a guy round my way, working in the recycling center, brings the working white goods home every evening, and puts them on donedeal. try your local recycling center.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 madmax79

My boss doesnt sell reconditioned machines , which is a pity as i might get a contact to source them for me . Thanks for your reply .

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭wytch

I believe the appliances that manufacturers replace under warranty are eventually bought in bulk by other businesses, repaired and sold on as reconditioned units. I have heard the units go up north. You could try your local retailer and ask to buy his WEEE. I would imagine you would need to be paying a small price for these appliances ie 3-5 euro. Best of luck with your new business.

Just an update still no joy in locating washing machines its an absolute joke cant apparently buy broken machines ie machines taken from homeowners when new machine is delivered from shops as they have to recycle them , which is complete nonsence as i think a better option would be if people could try to maybe fix them but them maybe im wrong dunno so im go throw the dice one last time if anybody knows an appliance delivery driver in cork area willing to sell the broken machines to me id be willing to pay for them .

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

Just my tuppence worth. I don't think there is a viable market (ie. there may be a market but not much margin) in what you are doing.

I think you would do far better littering your locality (and up to 20 miles away) with ads saying you fix white goods for E20 an hour. There is no call out charge but the travel time is included in the first hour.

Actually, it's not an either / or, run both businesses at the same time.

donalh087 wrote: »
    Just my tuppence worth. I don't think there is a viable market (ie. there may be a market but not much margin) in what you are doing.

I think you would do far better littering your locality (and up to 20 miles away) with ads saying you fix white goods for E20 an hour. There is no call out charge but the travel time is included in the first hour.

Actually, it's not an either / or, run both businesses at the same time.

Not doubting your post but if the margins werent good how come so many reconditioned appliance shops around ?

• Advertisement

Hi Owen. I would like to remove my thread,as I have sourced what i wanted, Can you do this for me if you dont mnd,as I cany figure out how.Tks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Finbarr1964

Hi madmax79 i am also thinking of getting into reconditioned washing machines but also getting a supply source is a problem i live in north
    cork area so i shouldn't affect your business,would you be able to give me your supply source,i would be grateful if you could.

Hi finbarr impossible to get them its against the law ive been informed decided to call it a day at them .

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Recycling centers?

hey tacho fries, nope tried that avenue also,they are prohibited from giving them out.If they are found to be giving them they are lining themselves up for a day in court and or a Substatial fine. Thanks a million for your suggestion though. I have now moved on from this and gone working elsewhere.

Advertisement