Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

park reopened

Options
  • 26-02-2013 10:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi, I would like to remind all nice people from Castlecurragh, Mulhuddart, that after few days of high water at Tolka river, the park is reopened now.

20130221122815.jpg

There is no need to throw heavy refuse bags and other unwanted bulky junk over the fencing. It can be done directly to the river from the bridge, according to local tradition, or just left conviniently at the footpaths.

20130221121027.jpg

Some people have noticed that already, but I think it is worth mentioning that the park is open for all and it always can accommodate few more tonnes of refuse.

20130223172712.jpg

To those who are too busy for a stroll in a park - there is an underutilized dump&ride sport facility along damastown road.

20130219093712.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Do you have irrefutable proof that it's residents of Castlecurragh doing this dumping?
    Why not go to the council liter warden with it then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 180 ✭✭markas

Gaspode wrote: »
    Do you have irrefutable proof that it's residents of Castlecurragh doing this dumping?
    Why not go to the council liter warden with it then?

Not a proof, but I doubt somebody else could do it - take a walk along the street next to the park and look over the fence. This is not brought by cars, it is a closed and 'private' street.

I have much more pictures (http://imageshack.us/g/1/10035444/) all taken last weekend, most along the one nice street, but to be frank they are boring and it looks 'better' in nature.

I think I can get someone cought easily - or anyone just sitting long enough at the window facing the park can see some action. The thing is, it is not done by one person - it is tolerated by all.

But right, it is not so much to blame ALL the residents, but to their attention.

The litter warden? AFAIK, the park is ~regularily cleaned only at 'hot spots'.

If you go there and look closer, some bags, trolleys, bikes.. are overgrown by bushes and trees.. not just grass. Not talking about the river itself..

The situation is worse every year - I suspect it's a problem of too high costs of cleaning. I doubt it could and should be attempted to change by investing more in regular and more intensive cleaning actions.

Finnally, I think the problem is CAUSED by littering, not the bad maintenance.

But I get your point - lets somebody else take care of the mess. The thing is it does not happen.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

That is absolutely disgusting.:mad::(

The words "don't," "sh*t" and "backyard" come to mind here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Report it though, and keep reporting it. That's the only way something might get done to clean it up. You'll never stop people littering (some people just dont and never will see any problem with dumping their crap where they want) but you might just get it cleaned up regularly if you highlight it to the council often enough. Show the pics to your local councillors too, and pressure them to get something done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Markas, I have sent you a PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

here is an idea which could work. a midi skip is 130 euro. ask 25 houses for a fiver each to clean up the area. i don't think that they would say no to paying a fiver if its all cleaned up. get the neighbours together for 2 - 3 hours of a saturday with a couple of wheelbarrows and job done. it will be easier to maintain once its fully cleaned and then get the cameras and the curtain twitchers ready to catch the skum who do it. i would not tolerate that heap of sh1t on my doorstep. i reallyc ant understand how people can do that. they really must be lower intelligence neantherthals

• Registered Users Posts: 46 willfer

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

You really need to report this to Fingal Litter Dept. as advised above. Contact details are here: http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Environment/LitterControl/ReportingLitter/

I have had cause to contact them on two occasions before and they always came within a day or two to clean up and asked me for details of what I did or didn't know about the person who dropped it off. That was done over the phone obviously, they didn't have any interaction with me when picking the stuff up. If there is any personal refuse with names or addresses they will fine the person(s) responsible.

A mini skip... on two occassions... jokers...

I bet, tonnes can be easily 'exctracted'. A mini skip might be allright just to clean around main foothpaths.

The approach that "you cannot stop people" and advices in kind "keep reporting it, so eventually it will be cleaned" is the reason why it is getting worse.

You guys could be proud of having such a place in the neighbourhood instead of satysfaction of "reporting it"

But I think I understand it better now. Thanks!

Seriously what on earth do you want people to do Markas? If the littering isn't reported to the council then who do you think is going to come clean it up?
    The tone of your last post is awful - you make it sound as though we, the users of this forum, are personally responsible for the littering!

What are you going to do about this problem other than criticise the responses you read here?

• Advertisement

Gaspode wrote: »
    Seriously what on earth do you want people to do Markas? If the littering isn't reported to the council then who do you think is going to come clean it up?
    The tone of your last post is awful - you make it sound as though we, the users of this forum, are personally responsible for the littering!

What are you going to do about this problem other than criticise the responses you read here?

I've reported it to the council and also passed it on to sections of the media to highlight it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I think there were two organised rubbish clean ups last year along the canal at Castleknock and Clonsilla. I seem to vaguely recall that one was organised was with Green Party (thru Roderic o'Gorman)and maybe the other was Fingal Volunteer Centre (I think). Perhaps it might worth contacting these to see if they might organise something for this spot?

I think there were two organised rubbish clean ups last year along the canal at Castleknock and Clonsilla. I seem to vaguely recall that one was organised was with Green Party (thru Roderic o'Gorman)and maybe the other was Fingal Volunteer Centre (I think). Perhaps it might worth contacting these to see if they might organise something for this spot?

I have nothing against such actions.. but this is simply not enought.

I thank you, users of this forum, for enlightning me that this is a cultural thing, specific to people living in Ireland. I am for tolerance, too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

markas wrote: »
    I have nothing against such actions.. but this is simply not enought.

I thank you, users of this forum, for enlightning me that this is a cultural thing, specific to people living in Ireland. I am for tolerance, too.

We have universally said how disgusting it is and that you, as the person actually living there and using the park, should report it. Have you reported it?

miamee wrote: »
    We have universally said how disgusting it is and that you, as the person actually living there and using the park, should report it. Have you reported it?

yes, reported to you.

And you expect us to do what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

What were you hoping for, for us to come and clean it up?
    For us to be ashamed for something we did not do?
    For one of us to live in those houses so you could berate us?

Illegal dumping is as disgusting thing to do, I've never done it
    and it you want action take on this then report it to those who have the power to do so.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Environment/LitterControl/ReportingLitter/
    REPORTING LITTER

All littering offences can be reported to the Litter Management Unit on our FreeFone number 1800 20 10 93. We can be contacted between 9.00am and 5.00pm Mon– Thurs and 9.00am – 4.30pm (Fri) or you can e-mail: envserv@fingalcoco.ie .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

yes, reported to you.

Are you a resident in the area or were you just passing through when you took the photos?

I live in the area but I have to be honest I rarely use that park so was totally unaware of the extent of the litter. Its horrific but its not something the majority of people living there engage in.

It is a small minority but all we can do is report what we see.

What exactly do you expect us to do??

miamee wrote: »
    And you expect us to do what exactly?

come with ideas how it could be prevented, remedied long term

(btw, this is not a local issue - just a 'good' example. I am pretty sure, many people know about such places in their neighbourhood, more people would be unaware on extent of the problem, though)

The bottom line is, if it is not reported, it is unlikely to be resolved by the litter wardens and parks department within the council on a regular enough basis.

I don't think it is up to the residents to clean this up themselves, although street cleaning within your area is a good idea.

There is a department that will clean this up, but sometimes they need a heads up to the extent of the problem.

Generally speaking, particularly in the Mulhuddart areas of Dromheath, Castlecurragh, Wellview and Parslickstown - the voter turnout is the worst in all of the DublinWest and local authorities know it only too well. More community spirit here would help allot.

• Advertisement

More community spirit here would help allot.

Especially that this is not a new problem - in most places in this park it looks like it was NEVER cleaned. It is impossible that any person designated to patrol the area, would not notice that. In the past I think it was cleaned along the pathways mainly (in the bushes or along/ in the river - not at all, probably for health and safety reasons..)

Now, it looks like the park is abandoned - even the gates are being locked at random days (not that locking would help, but it indicates of level of care..)

My guess is that there is no money for maintencence on one side, and that people litter more, on the other. I would not expect this can change just by more reporting - the mess here will be eventually cleaned up insted of other place.

But I am all ears to hear other options. I also understand it is uncovinient situation and that most people are not bothered at all

Then see if there are residents association for the area, or estate management committee and raise the issue with them.

Morag wrote: »
    Then see if there are residents association for the area, or estate management committee and raise the issue with them.

in other words "go away".. no problem, sir

• Registered Users Posts: 10,297 ✭✭✭✭DvB

come with ideas how it could be prevented, remedied long term

Excellent, lets hear your ideas for addressing this long term problem so.
    As you created the thread & have contributed throughout without actually offering much in the way of a solution perhaps you could share your own thoughts as to how to deal with this problem effectively on an ongoing basis.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

What kind of an outcome would be satisfactory to you? Usually in a modern society there are two options when it comes to fixing problems - fix it yourself, or report it to the relevant authorities.

Look you want to reach the people who are doing this, and I have given you a way to do that, by suggesting you contact the estate management team which will have residents as a part of it, or the residents association.

I have tried to be helpful, but it seems all you want to do is reply scornfully to my posts, so I am done.

I do think dumping is an issue and will unfortunatly become more of one as people can't pay to have rubbish removed. It used to be that twice a year there was a household kerbside collection done but that has stopped and not everyone has a car and get to the recycling center with it's limited hours.

Residents assoc and estate management teams have and do organize skips for the estates on occasion but the residents have to want and support them.

It is strange that is was not noted before.

@Morag - Thank you for your attention, but what I am saying is that this approach - reporting, cleaning up - is not going to help much!

Do not be offended, but such attitude is part of the problem

No, I do not live in Castlecurragh, but I am in the area quite offten - more often in Tolka Park (Curduff) across the road where the situation is much better - despite the fact, that the site seems to be more suitable for discrete dumping (well, the closer to Waterville, the worse).
    What a strange coincidence that under the windows of residents of Castlecurragh it is happening completely unnoticed... in a relatively crowded place, supposedly regularly maintained by the council!

The whole area of Mulhuddart is a big dump site. All - from N3 to Tyrellstown. There is something in the residents attitude, which in my opinion is pathologic, that they let it happen (assuming not all are actually doing that).
    You, living there or not, give me a partial answer - it suits well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You're just talking in crazy riddles now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

I cant stand litter bugs,

I thought my kids from early on not to litter and often walked them back to there lolly wrappers that they dropped made them pick them up and put them into the bin when they were young,
    But even more annoying than the rubbish in these pictures is the rubbish that the op is posting here on his thread

I cant understand what exactly he wants

To highlight this?
    To ask for advice?
    To "name and shame"?

Seems any advice help tips or support he has got he turns into an argument

IMHO dont feed him anymore

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement