Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protecting behind wainscoting

Options
  • 26-02-2013 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi,

I intend in install 12mm tongue and groove wall panelling onto an old stone wall freshly plastered with NHL lime mortar. The old cement plaster was a bit damp in places.

Behind this I will fix 2x1 timber batons onto the lime mortar plaster, with a breathable felt between.

The whole thing will be vented also.

I want to ensure the batons and back of the tongue and groove do not rot. Thus I am wondering what would be the best thing to treat the timber....

a) Wood preservative such as Protim
    b) Multiple coats of paint (e.g primer, undercoat and finish coat)
    c) Some kind of coating such as polyurethane
    d) Something else..

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I am trying to address the underlying cause of the dampness, but cannot be 100% sure of success, hence why I want to have the wood protected.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Once there is circulation in the room you should be alright providing the timber isn't getting wet. But if the dampness isn't fixed your not going to hide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭johnstown

Once there is circulation in the room you should be alright providing the timber isn't getting wet. But if the dampness isn't fixed your not going to hide it.

Yes, hopefully I can sort the damp problem out. Its eminating from the outside.. French drains and work on cills etc is required...

thanks

Advertisement