Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Phonewatch and newbie questions

Options
  • 27-02-2013 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭

I had two girls trying to sell Eircom Phonewatch call to the door today. They were pleasant and not overly pushy and I had been planning to get an alarm installed so I let them in to do a quote. They weren't very knowledgeable and tried to bull$hit me on a few points. They told me that GSM jammers don't work and I shouldn't be worried about them; they tried to tell me that if my phone line was cut the control box would still be able to send an alert to the monitoring centre; eventually explained it as polling from the monitoring centre and tried to tell me that the line being cut would be enough on its own for the guards to be called out.

In the end they offered me a set up with two contact sensors and four PIR sensors for €499 with a three year commitment at €25.25 per month. I was interested, and made that very clear, but I wasn't prepared to sign up there and then and was very surprised that they weren't interested in getting back to me or referring me to an office or something. It was 'take it or leave it' today only.

After they left I spent a few hours going through this folder and the websites of some of the companies recommended. There was lots of useful information there but I've still got a few questions and I'd be grateful for any advice anyone might offer.

- We have three external doors and 18 downstairs windows (incl. large sunroom at the back). In those 18 windows there are 16 panes that open out and 22 fixed panes. The Eircom Phonewatch sales people advised PIR sensors over shock sensors or contact sensors on the windows. Is this a sensible suggestion give the number of windows or would it still be worth going to the extra expense?
    - We live in an area with a good sense of community spirit so there would be a reasonable chance that neighbours would react to an external alarm. Is it worthwhile paying a monthly charge for a monitoring service is it likely that the noise will have frightened off any intruders anyway before the guards would actually get there?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I had two girls trying to sell Eircom Phonewatch call to the door today. They were pleasant and not overly pushy and I had been planning to get an alarm installed so I let them in to do a quote. They weren't very knowledgeable and tried to bull$hit me on a few points. They told me that GSM jammers don't work and I shouldn't be worried about them; they tried to tell me that if my phone line was cut the control box would still be able to send an alert to the monitoring centre; eventually explained it as polling from the monitoring centre and tried to tell me that the line being cut would be enough on its own for the guards to be called out.

OMG! The amount of lies in that paragraph alone. Never trust a rep with your security needs. In this case they don't know what they are talking about and secondly they are more interested in their own figures than your needs.
    GSM jammers can jam.
    The monitoring station doesn't know if your phone is cut. In fact, I've come across phone watch jobs that only send a test call once a week. 24 hours is the norm.
    Polling is not standard monitoring & would not be included in their basic systems. The Guards will not call out for any comms path fails.
    In the end they offered me a set up with two contact sensors and four PIR sensors for €499 with a three year commitment at €25.25 per month. I was interested, and made that very clear, but I wasn't prepared to sign up there and then and was very surprised that they weren't interested in getting back to me or referring me to an office or something. It was 'take it or leave it' today only.
    2 contacts & 4 PiRs is not an adequate security system IMO. Without window protection someone has to be in your home before the alarm activates . By then the damage is done. The idea of a security system is to deter intruders at the earliest possible moment. To me that's while they are trying to gain entry . That's what sensors and contacts will do. Also note it is Garda policy now to respond to verified alarms. That means 2 separate zone activation's. Now if you have just a PiR in your lounge & nothing on your window an intruder can be in the window & back out the same way with the contents of your sitting room & the Guards aren't been called.
    On top of that your above quote probably doesn't even include an external bell, so there's no fear of your friend down the road even hearing the alarm.
    We have three external doors and 18 downstairs windows (incl. large sunroom at the back). In those 18 windows there are 16 panes that open out and 22 fixed panes. The Eircom Phonewatch sales people advised PIR sensors over shock sensors or contact sensors on the windows. Is this a sensible suggestion give the number of windows or would it still be worth going to the extra expense?
    This is not a sensible option for the reasons I outlined above.
    Perimeter protection should be priority & then backed up by a few PiRs to verify alarms for Garda response.
    - We live in an area with a good sense of community spirit so there would be a reasonable chance that neighbours would react to an external alarm. Is it worthwhile paying a monthly charge for a monitoring service is it likely that the noise will have frightened off any intruders anyway before the guards would actually get there?
    It would if Phonewatch installed an external bell as standard. They don't .
    Why do you think that might be????

My advice would be ring 3 licensed company's & get get them to call out & give you a full quote after getting a full survey. Also don't entertain these bullying tactics of one day offers & you must sign now etc. A good company will give you a full detailed system proposal where the price will stand while you take time to look over everything. Anyone trying to get instant sales is usually afraid of what you will find if you shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

In the same boat. The eircom rep gave me good discounts on window sensors. But the issue is I love sleeping wit a good supply of fresh air I.e window opened. Therefore window sensor would be useless for me

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Cancel it & get out a few reputable company's to give you a proper quote.
    Again, basic protection should be all accessible windows covered with inertia contacts covering all openings. This should be backed up with a couple of internal PiRs to verify a genuine alrm to get Garda response.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

adam88 wrote: »
    In the same boat. The eircom rep gave me good discounts on window sensors. But the issue is I love sleeping wit a good supply of fresh air I.e window opened. Therefore window sensor would be useless for me

Not if you just have a shock sensor fitted to the window. This way you will be able to have the window open plus have the shock element of the sensor working while the alarm is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

altor wrote: »
    Not if you just have a shock sensor fitted to the window. This way you will be able to have the window open plus have the shock element of the sensor working while the alarm is on.

But my windows are like doors. You'd easily get in through them once there opened. Even an inch open. Waste of money then paying for sensors when they can open so softly

• Advertisement

Every accessible point of entry should have a shock sensor and a contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

adam88 wrote: »
    But my windows are like doors. You'd easily get in through them once there opened. Even an inch open. Waste of money then paying for sensors when they can open so softly

surely the window would only be open while you're in the room at night, so you'd be aware of anybody trying to creep in, and the shock sensor would probably activate the alarm anyways if there was fidgeting with blinds etc, depends on the sensitivity settings.- btw if you have pvc windows, you can leave them open a crack for air whilst they're actually securely closed.

Advertisement